Car Leasing vs Financing

:
2018 CX-9 GT
Hi everyone,

I know this has been reviewed on the internet tons of time, but mow that the CX-70 is not what i expected i am looking at other high end brands and noticing a lot of people are leasing.

I honestly don’t understand how the leasing make financial sense, so I am hoping people here can explain to me the reason they are doing it. Maybe my situation is different and does not work well with leasing.

I have a good downpayment for my next car. I feel that if I put it down on a lease it will be great and i will have very low payment, but after the lease I will have nothing in residual value. My down will be 100% consumed after the three year lease. Where as if I buy the car, after three years I still have the residual value of the car. I know it depreciated a lot, but it is still worth something.

Is there something that I am misunderstanding?

You don't want to put a down payment on a lease, IMO. There are leasing calculators out there that will show you down payment vs. monthly payment - they typically don't show you options like MSDs, however, and you get that money back at the end of the lease term.

A lease is a glorified rental - paying the taxes and depreciation on a vehicle for the duration of your possession. There are a few factors that determine if you should lease vs. buy and what you should expect at the end of the lease. Manufacturers set the lease terms but dealers can tweak the MF to increase their profit if you're not paying attention. For example, I looked at a Volvo XC60 at two different dealerships (equipped within $100 of one another) and the lease rates were different by $~100 per month (x 36 months = ~$3600).

Some people purchasing a PHEV will start with a lease to capture the $7500 credit (or more in some cases), then convert that lease to a purchase before the end of the lease term (based on the contract language) if they know they're going to keep the vehicle beyond the 3 years. It's at that point they'd apply a down payment (the money they didn't put down on the lease) to the balance of the loan and finance the balance. It depends, again, on finance rates at the time, your intentions with the vehicle and understanding of how to leverage both to your advantage - the dealership is definitely doing this and they hope you don't figure it out. People tend to make emotional decisions when buying a car and they get swept up in all kinds of 'tiny fees' that cost them tons of money because they weren't paying attention.

Leasing Pros
- car is always under warranty
- you have the car for a "trial period". Give it back after 3 years if you don't like it!
- lower monthly payments
- always have the latest tech or refreshed styling if sticking w/the same model
- can always purchase the car before the lease ends

Leasing Cons
- typically never have any equity (Pandemic challenged that but it's just about back to normal)
- shouldn't really modify the car
- only normal "wear and tear" allowed on return
- not for high mileage folks (non-luxury allow 12k miles/year while luxury allow 10k miles/year)
- difficult to break leasing cycle unless you have money saved for a down payment

I find that folks w/disposable incomes tend to lease (they really don't care about always having a car payment). As ataraxia suggested, be careful w/how much you put down for "capital cost reduction" to lower monthly payments. If you put $5k down, drive off the lot and get into an accident where your car is declared a total loss, you are out $5k w/nothing to show for it! Try to put as little down as possible (the optimal is of course zero)!

The money factor on the X3 is currently 0.0021, which isn't very competitive (compared to pre-Pandemic). You can find MF for other makes on Edmunds' leasing forums!

Depending on how you finance - the car can always be under warranty. I've paid off all my vehicles way earlier than the finance terms. Depends on the interest rate and other things I've got going on.

In my specific example - Volvo will allow for 15k miles per year but it's cheaper to lease the vehicle under the 12k model and pay the difference unless I'm 100% sure it'll always be over 12k and by a lot.

Here's a quick run down I did on Leasehackr to show key differences using similar criteria (36 month term - paid off in 36 months. High down payment on finance with special financing through VCNA vs. very low down lease with incentives.

At the end of three years - there's $38k in positive equity by financing but $30k of that was paid in advance. If the residual isn't accurate three years later - you get whatever is left over. The pandemic surge in residual is pretty much gone as EWL mentioned.

No matter what, at the end of this three year lease - you get the MSD $9500 back. Leasing offers a lower total cost of ownership over three years - assuming the vehicle is kept in good condition.

1712593039756.png

I have a good downpayment for my next car. I feel that if I put it down on a lease it will be great and i will have very low payment, but after the lease I will have nothing in residual value. My down will be 100% consumed after the three year lease. Where as if I buy the car, after three years I still have the residual value of the car. I know it depreciated a lot, but it is still worth something.

Is there something that I am misunderstanding?
Yes. There are many factors to plug in to compare the costs and that is only one of them.

What you want to look at is the total cost of the lease (typically 3 years) or to break it down into cost per mile.

In addition to what's listed above, some more things to consider. Some of these assume you wouldn't be buying a new car and trading every 3 years, which would be the worst financial decision of them all.

Lease:
  • When you go to the DMV, you only pay tax on the lease portion and not the total vehicle value (pro)
  • Maintenance and repair costs on a new vehicle will be extremely low (pro)
  • In addition to the latest tech and styling, having the latest model means the best safety, including crash test performance (pro)
  • New cars usually have better fuel economy, so fuel costs are lower (pro)
  • You may pay more over time (potential con), but consider the total cost as there are a lot of variables
  • When the lease is up, and if the market value is higher than the residual, you should consider buying out the lease and selling it privately to close the value gap and bring the total cost of leasing vs buying closer to parity
  • Can't make substantial modifications to the vehicle if you plan on turning it in at lease end (con)
  • Can't drive more than the specified mileage without incurring extra costs (con)
  • If you turn the vehicle in with damage you will likely pay extra (con)

Buy:
  • Can drive unlimited miles without incurring extra costs (pro)
  • Can modify the car however you like (pro)
  • Long-Term ownership (5-8 years) is likely to be less expensive than leasing, but this is only the case on reliable vehicles that are not expensive to repair (pro for Mazda) (still, consider all factors to determine which is actually cheaper)
  • Eventually the car becomes outdated (usually a con, but depends how long you keep it)
  • Financing a new car can be more painful than a lease (con)
  • You pay tax on the whole thing (con)
  • Out of warranty repairs can be costly (con)

I honestly don’t understand how the leasing make financial sense

It doesn't. Not in the slightest.

People who rent cars shop on monthly payments instead of how much the car actually costs. That is simply a wrong way to think about your financial stability and pretty much guarantees you'll be in debt for the rest of your life. There are studies out there that show that if an individual invests what they spend on the average car payment monthly into a growth mutual fund, they'll be worth MILLIONS of dollars at retirement. I sure hope that "new car smell" is worth it!

And there's always the excuse "But my warranty!". Guess what? We drive Mazdas, some of the most reliable cars you can buy. With nothing more than regular maintenance, you can easily get 250-300,000 miles out of a Mazda with zero big ticket major issues. So who cares if the warranty runs out? It's not like you'll need it anyway. (And yes, there's always an outlier here and there, liked the cylinder heads in that one particular motor, but pretty much all of those were fixed under the regular warranty anyway.)

Lease:
  • When you go to the DMV, you only pay tax on the lease portion and not the total vehicle value (pro)
This is heavily state-dependent as Texas, New York, Minnesota, Ohio, Georgia and Illinois – you have to pay taxes on the entire value of the car!

It doesn't. Not in the slightest.

People who rent cars shop on monthly payments instead of how much the car actually costs. That is simply a wrong way to think about your financial stability and pretty much guarantees you'll be in debt for the rest of your life. There are studies out there that show that if an individual invests what they spend on the average car payment monthly into a growth mutual fund, they'll be worth MILLIONS of dollars at retirement. I sure hope that "new car smell" is worth it!
Well, it's more complex than that. With the opportunity cost of having equity tied up in an owned car, you could have invested more.

No, it's not. Not at all. Debt is evil, period. When you're debt free, the freedom that comes with it is truly a blessing, both financially and psychologically.
Not all debt is evil. Debt from college loans is considered "good debt"!

No, it's not. Not at all. Debt is evil, period. When you're debt free, the freedom that comes with it is truly a blessing, both financially and psychologically.
I understand the psychological component to this, but seriously, wealthy people don't fear debt. In fact, they use it to their advantage.

Hey everyone, a ton of great points on here - as one of Leasehackrs biggest sponsors, I speak with the owners Victoria and Michael on a monthly basis and our company is the exclusive official partner of Leasehackr's Equityhackr program since 2021 (if you are familiar). 11 Years in the industry, I have debated many a times the Lease vs Buy debate.

Here is the short answer; It completely depends on each person, their financial preferences and discipline and how saavy you are with navigating the automotive markets.

Simply stating leasing is evil and the dumbest financial decision is just plain wrong, respectfully. Likewise, certain circumstances leave a purchase being the best option over a lease. It is completely circumstantial, however the overlap is great.

Scenario:
Let's say you need a new car, you are getting married soon, probably having kids in the next few years, saving up cash for the wedding and a house and really need stability. Assuming we are talking about a normal $30k car, say a CX-30, you can either finance the car or lease it; you have about 10% to put out of pocket. You could finance it, secure a nice low APR on a 60 month finance and get a payment of $500-$550/mo but that's a tight payment monthly for you with all the expenses coming up. With the same cash out of pocket, you could lease it for 3 years with a 60% residual and a $300/mo payment. Since *most* states will only tax you on the portion of the lease, you are truly only paying for roughly 40% of it over a 3 year period, then at the end of that lease you land at your residual of $18k. Let's say you kept great care of the car, its value has held up and its worth $20k, car fits your needs, you can take all that money you saved and put it towards the payoff and buy the rest of the car at that point. Essentially the same net outcome as the original finance, but you have a mid-point where you can stop and evaluate your next move without committing to the liability of the car. Here's an alternative version, lets say you get to the end of the lease but had unfortunately had 2 accidents with the car during that time and the value of the car tanked down to $13k. Do you want to buy it for $18k? Instead, you just got an out and can send that paperweight back to the bank to lose money on, now you have a fresh slate to get into that new CX-90 since you're married now and just had triplets, congrats! If you had financed that car and needed to consider a trade after 3 years (life changes a lot in ours 20s-30s) you would have both been paying double the payment for those 3 years ($9k added cost) and your payoff would be lower, lets call it $13k, the same its worth. You might be getting out clean, but you didn't gain anything for the trouble other than paying a higher payment.

In short, its not that leasing gets you ahead - but it can mitigate liability, and in terms of new cars, liability is a big elephant in the room (in terms of depreciation and flexibility).

But what about EVs, PHEVs? Lease 100000x over. Why? They depreciate like rocks and have tons of incentives to lease.

Scenario:
You want a fancy new Jeep Wrangler 4xe, or just need a CHEAP local car to drive around. You find a nice $60k Sahara you like. With the new rules on the Tax credits for purchases, you can buy this sucker with a whopping $3,750 in rebates and maybe if Jeep is generous they are tossing an extra $1,000 in rebate cash on top for you to buy one. The $3,750 comes back on your personal taxes so you are really getting a $1k rebate up front, buying your new Jeep for $59k (not using dealer discounts to keep things apples to apples in this comparison, dealer discounts are definitely available).
But wait, what if we looked at a lease? Well, rebates just shot up to $14,000 because Jeep wants you to lease so they put extra rebates on it, also that tax credit only got cut for purchases, leases since they are technically a business tax credit are still at $7,500 if you lease. Now just from that large of a difference alone, you can now already settle this that a lease in this case will bring you on top, especially if you intend to own it and just pay it off at the end of the lease in order to capture an extra $10k in rebates. But I can raise this one up a notch, I would still lease this even if I knew I was just throwing it away at the end of the lease with zero chance of equity or buying it for favorable terms. Why? Well because now you scored a massive discount from the dealer on top and you find a deal like we offered recently.

Screenshot 2024-04-08 at 6.27.05 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-04-08 at 6.27.27 PM.png

$60k Jeep Wrangler, 2 year lease, $1999 out of pocket including taxes and fees, $264/mo all in. The average monthly payment right now in the US is $726/mo, you just got a brand new $60k Jeep for a third of the national average payment with minimal out of pocket cost and are set for the next 2 years. Now apply this type of deal to someone who is a middle class or higher earner that is honest with themselves, who just wants peace of mind, a low calculated payment and no surprise expenses or downtime. A lease starts to make a lot of sense. Imagine he bought this instead, he would be into it for about $55k with a discount after all said and done and it would be worth about $35k in 2 years, a depreciation of over $1k per month. Leave that cost on the manufacturer/bank - lease it.

Ultimately, every scenario is unique and there is no such thing as Leasing vs Purchasing is better without considering nuance, but IMO leasing (so long as you are informed and know what you are doing) offers a lot more flexibility and has fewer downsides and risks. Imagine being the person that bought a Hydrogren powered Toyota and didn't want to lease it because debt it evil.

Last and final anecdote, my business partner is driving a Maserati GranTurismo lease right now, 12 month lease. $190k MSRP car. How much is that costing him over his 12 month lease? $20k? $30k? Well, hes a saavy SOB and hacked the hell out of super short-lived lease program with specific incentive programs and found the right dealer to play ball, he paid a total cost of $5k for the lease. One pay, paid up front. While this sounds insane and unimaginable, these lease deal hacks exist and come and go every month. Look at what we just posted on the CX-90 PHEVs, if you are a current Mazda lessee you get up to an extra $3k in rebates plus $1k in lease payment forgiveness on your current lease, we're going to sell out of inventory this month with the lease programs Mazda has this month. Sure, you're in a lease "cycle", but if you aren't committed and disciplined to the debt-free life and will drive a car into the ground, be real with yourself, theres worse financial decisions out there. These are cars, not gold.

1712616110279.png

Glad I asked the question, I am learning more and more. I understand the situation is different for everyone.

- I live in Canada, so the EV tax credit applies the same on purchase and on lease. But I agree it would be a huge incentive to lease in the US.

- Maybe the landscape in Canada is different, but I have never personally seen the kind of lease deals Ninja_Matt his showing. For sure, a 60K vehicle for 300$ a month would be a no-brainer, but the lease pricing I have seen is a lot more like the example that ataraxia showed with the XC-60. Which is why I have a hard time wrapping my mind around the "reduced monthly payments" advantages of leasing.

Quick intro to my personnal situation: I usually like to keep my car until they are 10 year old, sometime buying slighlty used (2 year old), sometime new, and I have always financed. That model works well with regular cars that are somewhat reliable. I consider 10 years to be a good point where maintenance starts to become more expensive. But now we are considering moving upmarket to luxury brand (BMW, Audi, Genesis, etc), and keeping the car out of warranty until 10 years may not work out so well if small repairs end up costing thousands of dollar. So I am intrigued by the leasing option. I think Ataraxia scenario with the volvo is the closest scenario to mine, but with the exception that the Volvo XC60 recharge gets the EV credit on the lease. I will try to build a canadian BMW X3 as an example instead.

From the Canada BMW website (All example includes all tax, freight and PDI.)

BMW X3 30i With premium package: veh price with option ($63,445).
36 month lease - 20000km a year, no down, no trade in
Monthly lease payments are: $1,217
3 year cost: $43,812
residual value: 0$

Financing for 3 years - down payment 30,000$
Monthly financing payment : $1,346$ a month
3 year cost: $48,456
residual value: about $35,000 CAD

But now looking at longer term (let's say a 6 year cycles, or 2 lease/financing cycle)

Leasing:
BMW X3 30i With premium package: veh price with option ($63,445).
First 36 month lease - 20000km a year, no down, no trade in
First 3 year cost: $43,812

Second 36 month lease
First 3 year cost: $43,812

Unused downpayment: $30,000. 6 year at 4% (6% - income tax) = 38,122 = 8,122$ interest

Total leasing cost: 43,812 + 43,812 -8,122 = $79,502

Financing:
Financing for 3 years - down payment 30,000$
Monthly financing payment : $1,346$ a month
3 year cost: $48,456

Financing for 3 years - trade in 35,000$
Monthly financing payment : $1,025 a month
3 year cost: $36,900
I can put aside the savings from the monthly payment: $321/month, 3 years at 4% (6% - income tax) = 12,256$

Total financing cost: 48,456 + 36,900 + 8,122 (interest lost from spending the 30000) - 12,256 (savings) = $81,222

The trade-in value is a powerful tool in Canada, because sales tax are high, and the trade-in reduces the sales tax by its equivalent value. So by trading-in your car, you achieve the same financial tax rebate as "only paying the tax on the lease". Note that I don't have a trade-in for the first year, because I kept my current car for 10 years and it's not worth much, but that has allowed me to accumulate the down payment.

So what am I missing in my scenario above that makes the lease so unappealing ? With financing, it looks like that even if I sell every 3 year (which is the worst way of financing a car). Not only it is only a few thousand dollar more expensive in the long run, but it lowers my monthly car payment every cycle. Allowing either more flexibility for my payments, or to move up and get a nicer car.

Am I calculating this wrong? Obviously, if lease ninja would get me a lease deal that would be half the price that would be a different, but I don't think they operate in Canada ?

Last edited:
Simply stating leasing is evil and the dumbest financial decision is just plain wrong, respectfully.

I read your entire post, and I understand that you're a salesman with something to sell. The one thing you forgot to mention about renting car, even your Maserati, is that you spend THOUSANDS of dollars on your rental, and when the term is over, you're looking at an empty driveway. Even though you dropped all that cash, you have exactly nothing to show for it at the end of the day. Buying a car is already a losing proposition because of depreciation, but at least you have something physical of value to show for it.

Smart people pay cash for a car that's a couple of years old. Let the other the people eat most of the depreciation. You save thousands of dollars less, and still get a fine car.

And before people say, "well I don't want a used car", the very moment you drive your new car off the lot and the tires touch the street, guess what? You're driving a used car anyway.

You also mentioned how some people "drive their cars into the ground". Cars are very expensive. I don't like spending money on them because they are liabilities, not assets. So yeah, I buy Mazdas (and the occasional Honda, don't shoot me!) because they are easy to work on, parts are available and relatively inexpensive, and will absolutely last hundreds of thousands of miles with nothing but routine maintenance. I'm on my 6th Mazda now, and I've driven them a total of over 825,000 miles and counting. And out of those 6, I've never had any major issues out of any of them. They do indeed last and last.

Back