Power lift gate problem (2024 Mazda CX-5)

I just bought a 2024 Mazda CX-5 2.5l turbo premium and the power lift gate quit working day one.
Took it to the dealer. The service department is clueless and had zero idea what was wrong. They said their scan tool showed nothing.
When i got home I plugged in my bluetooth scanner and forscan said it had error codes B144e:29-0a and B144e:64-08 liftgate position sensor 2 has a invalid signal.
I am guessing that sensor took and s***. Anyone know where this sensor is located and what it looks like?
Thanks

Yea it can but clearing codes without fixing the original problem is advised?
Sure! It could be "just one of those things" and clearing the codes makes it go away and never come back. If not, you're no worse off.

Not ridiculing but just asking. You got the car knowing about this issue? And the dealer couldn't find a solution or a fix for a brand new car?

Not buying it. No way the dealer is just going to say I don't know what's wrong with your brand new car that I just sold you so get off my lot.

No it was working fine when I left the lot. Used it to get groceries worked fine then got home and it wouldn't open.
Took it back to the service center and after two hours waiting they said they had no idea and to come back next week.
All I asked is if anyone knows where the position sensor is not if you believe my story.

No it was working fine when I left the lot. Used it to get groceries worked fine then got home and it wouldn't open.
Took it back to the service center and after two hours waiting they said they had no idea and to come back next week.
All I asked is if anyone knows where the position sensor is not if you believe my story.
A month or so ago someone posted a link to a factory Mazda Electronic Service Manual. You may want to read up of the liftgate operation in that manual. First go to "Body & Accessories", and then scroll down to "Doors & Liftgate".
Mazda Electronic Service Information

It might be embedded in the latch assembly.

Took it back to the service center and after two hours waiting they said they had no idea and to come back next week
A month or so ago someone posted a link to a factory Mazda Electronic Service Manual. You may want to read up of the liftgate operation in that manual. First go to "Body & Accessories", and then scroll down to "Doors & Liftgate".
Mazda Electronic Service Information
Thanks for the link.
Not seeing anything that's labeled position sensor but there's two sensors called touch sensors. I am thinking thats what went out.
I think the sensor is called multiple names pinch/touch/position. I could be wrong tho.

Do you have a video? Does it beep or nothing at all? Could it be possible that something got caught and jammed the latch?

If the sensor or whatever is bad, and you clear the codes, they should come back when you try to open the lift gate again. If they don't, and everything works normally again, great! If they do come back, the dealer needs to diagnose. If they sent you away and asked you to come back next week, I would hope that they are using that time to contact Mazda Corporate and get some answers from them.

In the meantime, since the issue was not resolved with a dealer visit, you can contact Mazda Corporate yourself to open up a ticket. That way you can stay in the loop with what happens between Mazda and the dealer.

If the sensor or whatever is bad, and you clear the codes, they should come back when you try to open the lift gate again. If they don't, and everything works normally again, great! If they do come back, the dealer needs to diagnose. If they sent you away and asked you to come back next week, I would hope that they are using that time to contact Mazda Corporate and get some answers from them.

In the meantime, since the issue was not resolved with a dealer visit, you can contact Mazda Corporate yourself to open up a ticket. That way you can stay in the loop with what happens between Mazda and the dealer.

Yea I reset the code and it came back after trying to open it. It just unlatches and beeps 3 times.

You can check the voltage of the pins
search for POWER LIFTGATE (PLG) CONTROL MODULE INSPECTION
Forscan shows the module, touch sensors, and motors getting the correct voltage. Going to the dealer tomorrow and telling them to replace the rightside touch sensor. I am pretty sure forscan saying position sensor 2 has invalid signal is referring to the right side touch sensor.

If warrantied don't mess with the problem anymore yourself. The dealer can use your "uneducated" attempt to infer you messed it up. You must let it remain THEIR problem. Ed

Latest posts

Back