2015 CX-5 with morning start up issues

Hi,
I bought this couple of months ago. It runs very well however in the morning it keeps on cranking and doesn't start up in 2 to 3 attempts. Battery is checked and handling the charge and load. Steps I am taking in the morning.
Keep the switch ON for 2-3 minutes, then press the break and press start button, it keeps on cranking and then stops.
Then I again turn in off and then ON, leave it ON, then try to start again but no luck.
Finally it works on 3rd or 4th try.
I am not technically strong with cars, so please advise what should I check to ask the mechanic to check before they rip me off.

Thank you guys,
Samad (Sydney)

If you're not that knowledgeable about engines (particularly diesels), I would look for a better shop to take it to. You could waste a lot of time (and money) trying to sort it out yourself.

From the limited information, a guess would be bad/worn out glow plugs although they're pretty durable.

It could be a multitude of other issues. Are there any DTC's present? Check engine light on? How about fuel filter? Air filter?

Has this starting issue always been present or something new?

Hi,
There are no warnings, no lights. It just had general service and also EGR filter was changed. Seems like an existing issue because it started to act like this after few days since bought it few weeks back.

A few things to consider:

Could be a fuel related issue. You might want to test fuel pressure. Could be your fuel pump is failing.

Starter issue.

How old is the battery?

How many miles on the car? Could be you are due for spark plugs. I think non turbos are at 75k.

I see mention of both spark plugs and glow plugs. Can't have both.

I see no mention by the OP whether or not his CX is a diesel.

EDIT

Ah, I see that the OP mentioned the EGR, so it's a diesel. My condolences to the OP.

Hi,
I bought this couple of months ago. It runs very well however in the morning it keeps on cranking and doesn't start up in 2 to 3 attempts. Battery is checked and handling the charge and load. Steps I am taking in the morning.
Keep the switch ON for 2-3 minutes, then press the break and press start button, it keeps on cranking and then stops.
Then I again turn in off and then ON, leave it ON, then try to start again but no luck.
Finally it works on 3rd or 4th try.
I am not technically strong with cars, so please advise what should I check to ask the mechanic to check before they rip me off.

Thank you guys,
Samad (Sydney)

How was the battery and charging system checked?

Back