CX-50 Torque Steer issue

Just purchased a new 2024 CX-50 Turbo. I've had it in the shop twice for an alignment and it now drives straight, however I do notice that when initially taking off from a dead stop there is an initial slight tug to the right from the steering wheel with mid to full throttle. It's not that noticeable if I've got a solid grip on the wheel however if for instance I have my hands off the wheel or very lightly gripping it, the wheel will ever so slightly turn to the right a couple degrees. I also notice some slight torque steer at higher speeds where the car pulls a little to the right under heavy acceleration. Anyone else notice this in their CX-5 turbo (I know mine is a CX-50 but it's the same engine and trans so figure it can't be too different). I may try to test drive a different CX-50 to see if it does this. Trying to determine if it could be the tires or if this is just how the car drives.

Last edited:
I have to really flog the pedal down on my 23 T to get the behavior you describe. It’s worse if the road surface is older and somewhat uneven. I have the cruddy stock Toyos and I’ve attributed it to that. Just the car really getting good grip under high torque in one corner or something and requires slight steering correction when you give it the beans.

It could also be a design factor. I don’t know how Mazda handles the design, but here is a description of why cars can pull to the right under heavy acceleration Torque Steer Causes and Cures

For sure I notice it most when taking off from a complete stop. If I floor it while I'm already coasting it's not very noticeable at all. It's almost like initially power goes to the left tire slightly faster than the right for a split second and then things even out.

My 24 CX-5 turbo has torque steer. I'll put in AWD sometimes when giving +50% throttle. It goes straight.

This week I installed my first turbo tune from DRTuned. David woke up this turbo package. Torque steer comes on even stronger. I highly recommend his tunes. The engine runs smoother and if one is conscious with the skinny peddle it gets better fuel economy.

My 24 CX-5 turbo has torque steer. I'll put in AWD sometimes when giving +50% throttle. It goes straight.

This week I installed my first turbo tune from DRTuned. David woke up this turbo package. Torque steer comes on even stronger. I highly recommend his tunes. The engine runs smoother and if one is conscious with the skinny peddle it gets better fuel economy.
Wasn't aware you can put it in AWD on demand. How are you doing that? Thanks again.

If you don't want torque steer:

1. Don't go WOT
2. Buy a rear wheel drive based chassis.

It is a product of the FWD chassis which our vehicles operate on.

I just went for a drive to test this in my car. Foot down sharp left turns... no torque steer whatsoever.

Mine is a '23, and I notice that the people reporting this all have '24's. I wonder if this might be a side effect from the steering changes introduced in later 24's?

I definitely notice torque steer in the upper rev range in first gear on my non turbo FWD Mazda 6. Even before the 91 octane tuning, despite it still making substantially less torque.

This is typical for a FWD chassis (even with one that has AWD tacked on it)

Back