2014 CX-5 Feels underpowered

igozdalski

:
Mazda CX-5
So my 2014 CX-5(stick shift) has about 280k miles on it and lately it has been feeling underpowered. Last year, about 10k miles ago, I swapped the spark plugs, ignition coils, fuel injectors, both O2 sensors, MAF sensor, fuel filter, intake manifold gaskets, and air filter. Recently I had major fuel economy issues, averaging just under 20mpg when I should be getting 30+mpg. it turned out it was an O2 sensor that got cooked at only 10K miles. Swapped out the upper sensor for a new OEM one and it fixed the bad Fuel economy but I am still feeling like the car is sluggish under acceleration. I had the catalytic converters checked out at a muffler shop as they are original but they said it's fine. I could swap out the fuel filter again since that's been done much earlier than everything else but other than that, idk why my car feels so sluggish. Oh, the intake valves do have a tad bit of carbon build up but it isnt completely gunked up but if cleaning that up has helped any of y'all, id love to get your opinions on how to clean it.

I do not have any check engine light codes but the car really feels underpowered compared to how it was back then imo

Since igozdalski's CX-5 is a manual trans, trying to make it "relearn" might not be what he needs.

Also see this thread.
I have had improvements in mileage and throttle response (minor) from these. I doubt the results are as good as a manifold off walnut blasting, but it is sufficent.

Last edited:
I bet your intake valves are crapped up. I cleaned mine over the weekend, and it made a WORLD of difference. This job is surprisingly easy, too. Look for my name, and you can see the before and after, and I only have 1/3rd the miles you do!

Congrats on the mileage, I hope to be there someday. Check out the link for cleaning valves, might point you in the right direction.

https://mazdas247.com/forum/t/cleaned-the-intake-valves-on-my-2013-cx-5.123880903/
Thanks! Looking at the photos in that thread, my valves look like the photographed valves. Ill probably make this my project one of these evenings.

Since igozdalski's CX-5 is a manual trans, trying to make it "relearn" might not be what he needs.

Also see this thread.
I have had improvements in mileage and throttle response (minor) from these. I doubt the results are as good as a manifold off walnut blasting, but it is sufficent.
yea i already swapped the injectors for brand new ones. The old ones were original so it was time to swap them out anyway. Only thing left to do regarding that area is to do some walnut blasting to clean the valves since they are actually quite filthy

Throttle body been cleaned recently?
It has. Everything I removed to access the fuel injectors have been cleaned, and gaskets have been replaced. My sister has a mazda 3 hatchback that uses the same throttle body as my car so I went as far as swapping throttle bodies to check for any changes...alas, no dice.

Back