CX-70 will have same exterior dimensions as CX-90

Course they do have the 6 wagon:p...
There a 20th Anniversary Edition diesel 6 wagon in Artisan Red there.. kinda sick!
1709184894007.png

1709184936413.png
1709185064518.png

If CX-70 was made the same size as the 90 to save money to make a new wagon.. :eek: :D

I'd guess that virtually no one who went out looking at a BMW X5 is going to cross-shop a CX70/90.
Just to confirm that you would be wrong. I joined a few BMW X5 forums and Facebook groups, and a reasonable number of people are looking at the CX-90 and CX-70 as lower cost options to the X5. Most seem a little surprised that Mazda popped up on their RADAR as their predilection is to luxury brands (BMW, Audi, Lexus, Volvo, Merc) though some intentionally added Mazda to their list of options. And it is the 6 cylinders, especially an inline 6, and rear biased AWD that are the hooks at a much lower cost and with expected higher reliability. Those that have opted against the Mazdas cited the Motor/Transmission lack of punch, the cramped (especially headroom) cabin [wondering why center console is so freaking huge] and overall size bigger than they want.

Just to confirm that you would be wrong. I joined a few BMW X5 forums and Facebook groups, and a reasonable number of people are looking at the CX-90 and CX-70 as lower cost options to the X5. Most seem a little surprised that Mazda popped up on their RADAR as their predilection is to luxury brands (BMW, Audi, Lexus, Volvo, Merc) though some intentionally added Mazda to their list of options. And it is the 6 cylinders, especially an inline 6, and rear biased AWD that are the hooks at a much lower cost and with expected higher reliability. Those that have opted against the Mazdas cited the Motor/Transmission lack of punch, the cramped (especially headroom) cabin [wondering why center console is so freaking huge] and overall size bigger than they want.
The Mazda definitely has the reliability factor to consider - it's one reason I hesitate on BMW.

Mazda is making more progress in the market than I perceived. I wonder how many actually made a purchase after driving the Mazda. The interior feels tight compared to the BMW, in spite of the fact that the Mazda is larger in size and the engine/transmission combo isn't as refined yet.

The Mazda definitely has the reliability factor to consider - it's one reason I hesitate on BMW.

I chose the CX-5 because no ratings yet for CX-90 and the CX-50 is only into it's 2nd year. But CX-50 gets lower reliability rating than BMW X5. The X5 and CX-50 are built in the U.S., while the CX-5 and CX-90 are built in Japan. Consumer Reports rates the BMW X5 the 5th best car to buy in the U.S. and ranks it above the Acura RDX, for example.

1710246957696.png

1710247224200.png

Depending on how long you plan to own a vehicle.
If you own vehicles for 3-4 yrs, German brands will serve you well.
If 7-8 yrs, better budget more $$$ for maintenance (2-3X higher) and repairs.
Speaking from past painful experiences... :cry:

Why yes, if you buy low sales volume, $80K car the maintenance & repair is going to more expensive than a high volume $40K car. I laugh at all the BMW buyers buying extended warranties. I ask them what they think they know that the insurance underwriters don't know. The expected payout from an extended warranty is necessarily less than the premiums paid in because profit and administration has to be paid out of those premiums too. They hate when I point out that if they can't afford a large repair bill they probably can't afford the expensive car they bought.

Mazda is making more progress in the market than I perceived. I wonder how many actually made a purchase after driving the Mazda. The interior feels tight compared to the BMW, in spite of the fact that the Mazda is larger in size and the engine/transmission combo isn't as refined yet.
According to this, 3 points separate Mazda and BMW in reliability (#7 and #9 respectively):

What's interesting is that the CX-90 is not part of the reliability score though the X5 is for BMW. I've had my problem-free X3 for nearly 1.5 years and agree w/the rankings!

Those of you who've been burned by the "old-school" BMWs have my sympathy!

I've had my problem-free X3 for nearly 1.5 years and agree w/the rankings!

1.5 yrs? Problem-free? Why not?
Let us know after 5 yrs. :)

Here is what my '98 BMW 540iA had. Only those I can recall now. Owned it for 9 yrs until I replaced it with '08 CX-9. My first Mazda.

1. moonroof replaced twice. SA told me not to use it too often.
2. wipe motor failed
3. trunk actuator failed.
4. cam position sensor failed. Same bank twice. The replaced one failed within 8 mons.
5. coolant piping broke three times (diff pipes) - towed to dealers three times
6. coolant temp sensor failed. Limped home. Towed to dealer.

Sorry to hijack the thread.
I don't mind the expensive maintenance, which is expected.
However, I never had to call tow trunk in my 40 yrs of driving until I owned a BMW.

Let us know after 5 yrs. :)

Here is what my '98 BMW 540iA had. Only those I can recall now. Owned it for 9 yrs until I replaced it with '08 CX-9. My first Mazda.

1. moonroof replaced twice. SA told me not to use it too often.
2. wipe motor failed
3. trunk actuator failed.
4. cam position sensor failed. Same bank twice. The replaced one failed within 8 mons.
5. coolant piping broke three times (diff pipes) - towed to dealers three times
6. coolant temp sensor failed. Limped home. Towed to dealer.

Sorry to hijack the thread.
I don't mind the expensive maintenance, which is expected.
However, I never had to call tow trunk in my 40 yrs of driving until I owned a BMW.
In my 45 years of driving, the only time I needed towed was for a 2003 Honda Odyssey (in 2008)! For some perspective, we are talking about 30 years ago. The world has changed, and manufacturing technology has improved significantly. In addition, you are comparing a $60K (1998, $114K in 2024 dollars) 540i sports sedan that Car and Driver called NEAR PERFECTION to a 10-year newer pedestrian crossover SUV (think that was the 3.7L V6). Sports cars are on one end more fragile because they are higher strung and tighter wound and at the other end driven harder because they are fun and capable. It's why Mazda has not pushed the 2.5L Turbo to spectacular output numbers. The tighter you wind them the more likely they are to break.

I wouldn't be so quick to discount this. There are newer Mercedes and RR owners who can't drive their cars after 1-2 days of ownership!

I'm sorry you a bad experience with your older BMW.

"The king is dead. Long live the king!"

For reliability, BMW is NOW only 3 points and 2 rankings below Mazda as I noted in post #348. The present is all that matters right now!

Agreed. I tried to hang on to a Volvo too long and it got expensive real fast.

According to this, 3 points separate Mazda and BMW in reliability (#7 and #9 respectively):

What's interesting is that the CX-90 is not part of the reliability score though the X5 is for BMW. I've had my problem-free X3 for nearly 1.5 years and agree w/the rankings!

When the conversation about reliability comes up and people start linking 'initial quality surveys' to prove a point, I have to laugh. A good chunk of the complaints about newer cars revolve around infotainment and a general inability to use them. It's odd to me that people will shell out $50k on a vehicle and know nothing about the part of it they'll interact with the most and then complain about it.

Initial quality surveys don't hold much weight, IMO - it's the reliability after a year or two that's most interesting to me. CR recommendations have little value, in my eyes.

BMW, overall, has improved quality and reliability but I know far too many people - personally - who have problems with their BMWs that are not that old.

Back when I owned my Mazdaspeed 3, I worked at a German-owned company and I was the only manager driving a Japanese car. I got a LOT of flak for it until I pointed out that I was the one guy who didn't have his car at a dealership getting fixed.

Initial quality surveys don't hold much weight, IMO - it's the reliability after a year or two that's most interesting to me. CR recommendations have little value, in my eyes.

BMW, overall, has improved quality and reliability but I know far too many people - personally - who have problems with their BMWs that are not that old.

Back when I owned my Mazdaspeed 3, I worked at a German-owned company and I was the only manager driving a Japanese car. I got a LOT of flak for it until I pointed out that I was the one guy who didn't have his car at a dealership getting fixed.
Infotainment is not only a problem of operation, but is the #1 warranty repair item by number as well. For BMW, only their Platinum level extended warranty covers it and I would suspect none of the 3rd party service contract do.

I have the opposite anecdotal evidence. I know lots of people with BMWs that have had no to very few issues. One guy had a headlight need replacing and because it was a whole assembly, it was pricey. I would never own a BMW with the N55 Motor. At this point, I don't want a BMW that does not have the B58 that replaced the N55. It is in the top 10 best motors being made right now. On X5 forums one of the problems you hear is transfer case issues. And almost every one is a 2019 which is known to have had an issue and there is a technical service Bulletin on it. Just like the 2016 MX-5 Manual Transmission had an issue exploding 2nd gear which is why I waited to buy a 2017 when it was fixed.

I certainly take with a grain of salt, personal stories related on message boards. When buying my MX-5, the two big things were paint chipping and wrecking. I was worried there was something about the car that made it hard to drive. One woman wrecked on the way home from the dealer. Then you learn these people can't drive. And I was 3 years (26,000miles) before I got my first legitimate paint chip on my hood. Some people just don't know how to drive a car or maintain a car.
1711066554297.png

1711066635578.png

Infotainment is not only a problem of operation, but is the #1 warranty repair item by number as well. For BMW, only their Platinum level extended warranty covers it and I would suspect none of the 3rd party service contract do.

I have the opposite anecdotal evidence. I know lots of people with BMWs that have had no to very few issues. One guy had a headlight need replacing and because it was a whole assembly, it was pricey. I would never own a BMW with the N55 Motor. At this point, I don't want a BMW that does not have the B58 that replaced the N55. It is in the top 10 best motors being made right now. On X5 forums one of the problems you hear is transfer case issues. And almost every one is a 2019 which is known to have had an issue and there is a technical service Bulletin on it. Just like the 2016 MX-5 Manual Transmission had an issue exploding 2nd gear which is why I waited to buy a 2017 when it was fixed.

I certainly take with a grain of salt, personal stories related on message boards. When buying my MX-5, the two big things were paint chipping and wrecking. I was worried there was something about the car that made it hard to drive. One woman wrecked on the way home from the dealer. Then you learn these people can't drive. And I was 3 years (26,000miles) before I got my first legitimate paint chip on my hood. Some people just don't know how to drive a car or maintain a car.
I do know a few people with trouble-free BMWs but they're largely outweighed by those that have problems - and now that I think about it, those with few issues own the newest models (2022 and newer). And you're right - it's all anecdotal/subjective. People do tend to color their experiences. Things that happen two or three times become 'always' and things to don't happen a couple of times get turned into 'never'. I collect information and find my own experience before making a decision - I certainly cannot blame anyone else if I make a bad decision. I didn't blame anyone but myself for buying the Explorer ST.

Back when I bought my Mazdaspeed 3 - I was out test driving it - and when I returned to the dealership, the sales guy took me to the back lot to show me a brand new wrecked Speed3 - the right front and side were destroyed and the car had no plates - a guy test drove it into a row of parked cars. They had a bit of torque steer and could get squirrely if you weren't paying attention. There are lots of people who don't know how to drive and they blame the car.

Your new X5 looks great! That's the same color I'd get - the blue is beautiful!

Latest posts

Back