At my wits end... *May contain complaints 😉

Are the OEM tires really that bad that if you lose traction on one tire you basically lose traction completely?

Yes, the basic Toyo tires that happen to typically come with the as-new dealer purchase of the CX-5 are insufficient for snow. Particularly so if another two/three years' of usage are on them. Hard to know how such a tire might behave in bad conditions. (Let alone "ugly" conditions.)

Unless specifically a 3PMSF or quality snow-designed "M&S" tire, it's hard to expect much reasonable in-the-snow behavior from a commonplace 3-season tire.

I don't think many people would classify the standard Toyo tire as anything of the sort.

Last edited:
I should start by saying I have always hated the key fob
Can't agree more. 2021 fob is a piece of junk even compared to what I had in 2016. It's bigger, it's inconvenient, and its range is a joke.

And that's very sad because key fob is what starts the experience / interaction with the car.

I can imagine that the rear would break loose if those tires could not get traction. Similar to what would happen if you put worn tires on the rear and brand new ones up front - you could take a turn and the rear would break loose before the front, resulting in oversteer. In this case it sounds like one of the front wheels lost traction, you accelerated to regain traction, power was sent to the rear, but the tires spun you off the driveway because they didn't have traction. So, change the tires?

I wanted to point out what appears to be an inconsistency. You've had your 2021 since new. Due to the issues in your OP, you're considering getting rid of it with 23k on it. Then in a later post, you mention that the car has less than 20k, and that the tires have "plenty of tread".

Then, in this post, you say that the tires have 15-16k on them. Why not just say 15k initially? You also admit that the tires aren't very good, and yet you're still quick to blame the AWD system.

So, what is the actual mileage on the car and tires? Additionally, do you have a picture of the tread? Maybe the tires are wearing unevenly, causing some possible traction issues?

This appears to be the only complaint you've posted about regarding the AWD. Seems that you had no problems with it until this one incident.
Actually what I originally said was "I am contemplating trading it in with 23,000 miles on it", which was an estimate of how many miles would be on it by the time I traded it in (Summer/Fall), as I don't buy new cars in Winter/Spring given road conditions can be iffy here at those times. To be honest, I didn't know the exact mileage at the time, I just knew it was less than 20K.

I just checked and the *exact* mileage is actually 15,145 (see photo 1) and all 4 tires are the originals. They look like the attached photos (see photo 2 and 3).

This was the only incident I've had with the CX-5 AWD (and the only incident of its' kind I've *ever* had). I was pretty shocked it could happen at all under the given circumstances. The driveway may have been wet from snow melt, as it was way above freezing--I don't remember. It was certainly dry around the garage.

Attachments

• Mileage.jpg
    Mileage.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 42
  • CX-5a.jpg
    CX-5a.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 40
  • CX-5b.jpg
    CX-5b.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 38
That’s the base engine. The upgraded engine is 181 hp more comparable to the non-turbo CX-5. Comparing a turbo CX-5 non-turbo Tucson is like comparing a turbo to a hybrid. Gets apples and oranges. If you compare the trims that are most like, the Hyundai is actually more expensive.
Exactly. He didn't even know what the motor was in the Hyundai he was looking at. It was a strange move by Hyundai as they went from having the 2.4l NA motor in the 2nd gen to the 1.6L Turbo with a 7-sp dual clutch in 2016 with the 3rd gen. Then as that model aged, they ended up dropping the 1.6 turbo and going back to the old 2.4l with a 6-sp auto. It made no sense to me at all. Then they went to the current 4th gen in 2022 with a new 2.5 NA which has almost identical specs to the "old" Mazda 2.5 NA motor (less torque though). It is also funny how he doesn't want to compare the hybrid to his car when that is the only way you are going to get even close spec wise. The fact its a hybrid doesn't make it an apples to oranges comparo. So the hybrid gets better mileage - that is just a check in that column for the competitor. It still uses gasoline like the CX-5 does...

Exactly. He didn't even know what the motor was in the Hyundai he was looking at. It was a strange move by Hyundai as they went from having the 2.4l NA motor in the 2nd gen to the 1.6L Turbo with a 7-sp dual clutch in 2016 with the 3rd gen. Then as that model aged, they ended up dropping the 1.6 turbo and going back to the old 2.4l with a 6-sp auto. It made no sense to me at all. Then they went to the current 4th gen in 2022 with a new 2.5 NA which has almost identical specs to the "old" Mazda 2.5 NA motor (less torque though). It is also funny how he doesn't want to compare the hybrid to his car when that is the only way you are going to get even close spec wise. The fact its a hybrid doesn't make it an apples to oranges comparo. So the hybrid gets better mileage - that is just a check in that column for the competitor. It still uses gasoline like the CX-5 does...
Wow, of course the fact it's a hybrid makes it an apples to oranges comparison. Why would anybody bother to compare a hybrid drivetrain which they did not want, with a conventional drivetrain? That doesn't make any sense at all. Why not compare it to a V8 as well? Or a RWD car? If you can't understand how a $1000-$2000 more expensive drivetrain someone *doesn't want* just isn't relevant to the conversation, I don't know what to say. It seems like your just looking for some way to jack up the base price of the competition to make it look like the CX-5 isn't that much more expensive.

As far as me not knowing about the elimination of the Turbo on the 2021 Tucson, I was thoroughly familiar with my 2017 Tucson Limited and didn't imagine they had changed the engine on the 2021 Limited when I test drove it, as it was basically the exact same car as my 2017 Tucson otherwise.

Horrors! I was wrong! It was actually a *more* powerful engine than my turbo and certainly felt that way. Isn't it just awful they were able to get better performance out of an NA engine than their turbo?

Like I already said, I don't care *at all* if I can get 250 HP out of my CX-5 turbo on *premium* gas, that's a great technical achievement which is irrelevant to driving in my area and I'm not going to spend that much money on gas either. Other than some parts of the PA Turnpike, there are no roads around here I would be able to make use of that power without either routinely slamming on the brakes due to multiple semi trailers in both lanes on the Interstates here, or absolutely wrecking all the wheels and possibly the suspension or oil pan on pot-holed and cracked back roads.

When I'm comparing cars, I'm not really comparing performance specs as long as the baseline meets or exceeds my performance expectations. I'm more concerned about comfort, features/options I want and price. I like a responsive, predictable car--fastest 0-60 times or highest G-forces in turns don't matter to me, as they will never affect my real-world driving experience.

Last edited:
When I'm comparing cars, I'm not really comparing performance specs as long as the baseline meets or exceeds my performance expectations. I'm more concerned about comfort, features/options I want and price. I like a responsive, predictable car--fastest 0-60 times or highest G-forces in turns don't matter to me, as they will never affect my real-world driving experience.
A large number of your complaints are based on what I bolded, above. I hate sounding like a broken record, but I hope this was a learning experience for you. You really need to do better research before you end up purchasing another vehicle you end up disliking.

A large number of your complaints are based on what I bolded, above. I hate sounding like a broken record, but I hope this was a learning experience for you. You really need to do better research before you end up purchasing another vehicle you end up disliking.
BINGO!

Wow, of course the fact it's a hybrid makes it an apples to oranges comparison. Why would anybody bother to compare a hybrid drivetrain which they did not want, with a conventional drivetrain? That doesn't make any sense at all. Why not compare it to a V8 as well? Or a RWD car? If you can't understand how a $1000-$2000 more expensive drivetrain someone *doesn't want* just isn't relevant to the conversation, I don't know what to say. It seems like your just looking for some way to jack up the base price of the competition to make it look like the CX-5 isn't that much more expensive.

As far as me not knowing about the elimination of the Turbo on the 2021 Tucson, I was thoroughly familiar with my 2017 Tucson Limited and didn't imagine they had changed the engine on the 2021 Limited when I test drove it, as it was basically the exact same car as my 2017 Tucson otherwise.

Horrors! I was wrong! It was actually a *more* powerful engine than my turbo and certainly felt that way. Isn't it just awful they were able to get better performance out of an NA engine than their turbo?

Like I already said, I don't care *at all* if I can get 250 HP out of my CX-5 turbo on *premium* gas, that's a great technical achievement which is irrelevant to driving in my area and I'm not going to spend that much money on gas either. Other than some parts of the PA Turnpike, there are no roads around here I would be able to make use of that power without either routinely slamming on the brakes due to multiple semi trailers in both lanes on the Interstates here, or absolutely wrecking all the wheels and possibly the suspension or oil pan on pot-holed and cracked back roads.

It doesn't make any difference at all. A hybrid is just that, a gasoline powered car with a battery to help increase economy. It's like saying you can't compare a turbocharged motor to an NA motor. The hybrid versions of the CR-V and RAV-4 are just variations of a theme to get more mileage from a gasoline powered car.

With the engine swap in the Hyundai from the 1.6T to the 2.4 NA motor, they gained 6hp, but lost 20ft/lbs of torque and went to an old school 6-sp automatic vs the 7-sp you had in your '17. It really surprises me you didn't notice the difference.

If you were out for comfort, you made the wrong choice with the Mazda for sure (there are many threads complaining about the seats if you aren't the right build and a fairly stiff ride). It isn't on the luxury side of the aisle at all. Mazda is the Zoom, Zoom company as you should know. It really seems like you went for the best deal when you bought the CX-5 - and you got it. The CX-5 is almost certainly the best bang for the buck in the category which is why it wins many comparison tests even late in its lifespan. Unfortunately, it seems lost on you. It really is too bad you didn't spend more time test driving the choices you had as you would have known the Mazda wouldn't suit your needs. If the Hyundai was such a great car for you, I can't understand why you wouldn't have waited a bit longer to buy a car (the current 4th generation Tuscon came out in '22 and unless your '17 was on its last legs you certainly could have waited to see what it was like before jumping ship).

I certainly hope you get something you like next time as it seems like the Mazda isn't it. Maybe try a Genesis GV70? They start around 45k and will certainly ride smoother and have more features than the CX-5.

It doesn't make any difference at all. A hybrid is just that, a gasoline powered car with a battery to help increase economy. It's like saying you can't compare a turbocharged motor to an NA motor. The hybrid versions of the CR-V and RAV-4 are just variations of a theme to get more mileage from a gasoline powered car.

With the engine swap in the Hyundai from the 1.6T to the 2.4 NA motor, they gained 6hp, but lost 20ft/lbs of torque and went to an old school 6-sp automatic vs the 7-sp you had in your '17. It really surprises me you didn't notice the difference.

If you were out for comfort, you made the wrong choice with the Mazda for sure (there are many threads complaining about the seats if you aren't the right build and a fairly stiff ride). It isn't on the luxury side of the aisle at all. Mazda is the Zoom, Zoom company as you should know. It really seems like you went for the best deal when you bought the CX-5 - and you got it. The CX-5 is almost certainly the best bang for the buck in the category which is why it wins many comparison tests even late in its lifespan. Unfortunately, it seems lost on you. It really is too bad you didn't spend more time test driving the choices you had as you would have known the Mazda wouldn't suit your needs. If the Hyundai was such a great car for you, I can't understand why you wouldn't have waited a bit longer to buy a car (the current 4th generation Tuscon came out in '22 and unless your '17 was on its last legs you certainly could have waited to see what it was like before jumping ship).

I certainly hope you get something you like next time as it seems like the Mazda isn't it. Maybe try a Genesis GV70? They start around 45k and will certainly ride smoother and have more features than the CX-5.
I don't want to throw oil on the fire but since the OP is always mentioning the Tucson perhaps the 2024 Kona would fit the bill as it's bigger than the previous gen and actually a bit longer than the first Tucson. The turbo version comes with a traditional 8 speed instead of the 7 speed direct shift they had before. However you gotta like the boy racer looks and I'll leave it to the OP to decide. I kinda did some "free" research for him...Nice article from a Canadian journalist

Sorry, I think your argument is illogical.

It is an absurd oversimplification to say that a hybrid is just "a gasoline powered car with a battery to help increase economy"--it not only adds a large battery *pack*, but also adds one or more high-torque, synchronous electric motors, A power inverter to turn the DC voltage of the batteries into AC voltage for the synchronous electric motor(s), the electronics to manage the integration of the electric motors with the ICE and also the electronics and mechanics to manage charging the batteries using the ICE, regenerative braking and (in some cases) by plugging the car into a wall outlet.

It's a complex *system* (and complicated to troubleshoot and repair) which adds over $1000-$2000+ and around 200 lbs. to a car. As a bonus, if you decide to keep the car long enough (8-10 years) you're looking at spending thousands of dollars to replace the batteries at some point. So, that's all a hybrid is compared to a conventional car...

I would imagine that practically nobody buys a hybrid for its' performance--in the vast majority of cases, they buy them to lower their gas costs and to "reduce their carbon footprint". Most (but not all) hybrids have inferior performance when running on strictly electric power compared to the ICE, though the high-torque electric motors always have good off-the-line response.

Nothing could convince me to compare a hybrid with a non-hybrid. I will never own a hybrid no matter how well it might compare to an equivalent ICE. After decades of experience in electronics, I can tell you the more complicated a design is, the more you will run afoul of "Murphy's Law" (basically if anything *can* go wrong it *will* go wrong) and "Occam's Razor", (which in engineering terms means, "the more complicated a system is, the more likely it is to fail").

My test drive in the 2021 Tucson was around the neighborhood of the car dealership and on the local highway (with trucks, on-ramps, etc.), so I didn't really notice much difference at the time (especially since I was assuming it had the same engine as my 2017 limited). The only thing I didn't like so much about the 2017 Turbo was the transition from no-boost off the line, to full boost when the turbo spooled up--it was not very smooth, so the smoothness of the 2021 was an improvement in that sense (no turbo, so no turbo lag).

As far as research, I thought I had done sufficient research. I didn't imagine a mainstream manufacturer like Mazda would not be up to par in several comfort and convenience areas compared to less expensive alternatives.

I acknowledge whole-heartedly the performance and handling of the CX-5 is good (well, discounting my recent snow escapade) and I knew they were a "zoom-zoom" brand, I just didn't imagine Mazda was behind the times in typical comfort/feature areas compared to basically every car I've owned in the last 20 years, while wasting money on silly things like a HUD and a WiFi Hotspot (certainly more "luxury/bling" features than "zoom-zoom" features). Bad assumption, I admit.

When I test drove the CX-5, it seemed fine. I had little time to make a choice (I had *no* car at the time) and, as I said, didn't imagine how many minor, everyday things on the CX-5 would prove an everyday annoyance. I used to have a "zoom-zoom" car when I was young and foolish in the 80's, with a twin-turbo V-6 that would slam you back into the the seat when the turbos kicked in. It was terribly non-ergonomic and uncomfortable at the time, but it didn't matter to me back then. At the time I bought the CX-5, I imagined with all of the luxo features (front seat heaters and coolers, rear seat heaters), the CX-5 was a good choice. My bad.

I looked at the Hyundai Kona, but at the time, the lack of a leather interior and rear seat heaters was a no-go. I don't know what it is like now, but soon I will be looking...

Also, just for my edification, looking at the pictures of my rear tires at 15K miles, does anyone think they are so worn they would totally eff-up the AWD and just slide off a level driveway with a little bit of power? If so, peace, but that must mean those tires are absolute junk--they look like they have nearly as much tread on them as when they were brand new and (not that it means much from a performance point of view), they would likely pass PA State safety inspection for at least another 10-15 K miles...

Last edited:
Thats a good idea actuallty. Bet it would be the top new members thread :)
LOLl! If it were true that a "Complaint Department" thread became the top "new members" thread on a Mazda enthusiasts site, I would hope Mazda would pay attention to that (assuming they want to stay in business, as there is no way a mass-market car company devoted strictly to performance enthusiasts will be able to stay in business in the current world)...

Last edited:
Back