At my wits end... *May contain complaints 😉

I'm guessing you didn't notice that both the CRV and RAV4 you listed are *hybrid* (gas/electric) vehicles? My CX-5 is most assuredly not a hybrid (the gas mileage would be much better if it were...).

Why do you think I didn't notice they were hybrids? That should have been a given, as it's clearly shown. I was just pointing out the error in your statement that they are cheaper and don't compete. You have a top trim Signature, so I chose to compare top trims.

The closest competitor to the Signature would be an Acura RDX, or an Audi Q5, but those are considered in a different league to most people, due to their much higher prices. I actually cross shopped those, and the X3 and still bought the Sig.

Rather than just venting your frustrations here, just go trade it in on something you like better. You should get a decent price on your trade. We only lost ~$8k on ours when we sold it after 55 months. I rank my time with it as excellent. It never had to go in for anything and after replacing tires at 16k miles, only got better.

I've had mine through two horrific snowstorms since I've had it. Temperature in the 20s and dropping, snow blowing around and dropping at over 2 inches per hour, 27 miles from work to home... Never got stuck and was going around people stuck on hills and traffic lights. You have to have the right kind of rubber for the conditions and I had good winter tires on. The only thing between your car and the road are the tires. I saw Suburus and other CX5s with all seaons on, yes they were able to get through but not without a lot of slipping and sliding, something I didn't have to put up with.

Sorry for being late to such a nice party but, I can't pass the first post. Trying to figure out if its a good troll job or not. For somebody that owns over 20cars and being an engineer I found the post to be quite funny/insulting.
I think you are 100% correct! He did a nice job trolling...

Last edited:
This doesn't add a whole lot to what's already been mentioned, but regarding weird designs just for the sake of weird designs: Mazda is not the only one.
My new 2023 Stinger has some quirky stuff that was obviously done just for the sake of being different, and not to try and be better. I absolutely hate the gear shift selector system. They went away from just the standard gear shift knob that pulls and pushes through PRNDL. Now there's a separate button just for park, and a spring loaded gear shift lever for the other gears. Counter intuitive, stupid design. The key FOB also has the buttons on the narrow side like the newer Mazda. Terrible design. There's more, but you get the idea. They all do it.

Very strange post from Bobby, but then again, all of his posts have been complaints since joining the forum when he got his CX-5. It seems he did a really poor job of vetting the car before buying it. He mentioned a couple of times buying the Mazda as he couldn't get a "deal" on a new Tuscon. This shouldn't be surprising, as the Hyundai had literally just come out, and we were in the crazy pricing days of COVID. I also bought my CX-5 GTR in 21 and was able to get a slight discount, but remember, the CX-5 in its current form came out in 2017 so it has been around quite a while. His comparisons to other SUV's are laughable as previously mentioned as all carmakers in this class have a huge range of trims/prices on these SUV's. He could have bought a lower trim in the $20's during 2021, but he chose to buy the most expensive trim level and is now complaining about it. If he would have bought a CR-V Touring it would have been the same price as his Sig and had a 190hp 1.5l motor instead of a 250hp 2.5T. I don't believe the Honda has all of the features he is complaining about either and I know the interior is not near as nice as the Sig. He is also the first one I heard complain about the wheels being fragile. Some talk about ride comfort (which is going to be the case with 19" low profile tires). The 17"ers are going to give a much better ride. I have been driving a CX-5 since 2019 and have 45k miles combined on 2 cars with the same 19" wheels. No issues as of yet with wheel damage.

Why do you think I didn't notice they were hybrids? That should have been a given, as it's clearly shown. I was just pointing out the error in your statement that they are cheaper and don't compete. You have a top trim Signature, so I chose to compare top trims.

The closest competitor to the Signature would be an Acura RDX, or an Audi Q5, but those are considered in a different league to most people, due to their much higher prices. I actually cross shopped those, and the X3 and still bought the Sig.

Rather than just venting your frustrations here, just go trade it in on something you like better. You should get a decent price on your trade. We only lost ~$8k on ours when we sold it after 55 months. I rank my time with it as excellent. It never had to go in for anything and after replacing tires at 16k miles, only got better.
Why do I think that? Because as another post implied, if someone isn’t looking for a hybrid, they wouldn’t care how much it costs compared to a non-hybrid CX-5–it’s not a question of it being the most expensive trim level—it’s a different kind of car. Based on that criteria, the CX-5 fails *miserably* as a hybrid...

I wasn’t the one to bring up the RAV 4 or CRV and, as I said, the top trim levels of the non-hybrid AWD RAV and CRV (according to the manufacturers published MSRPs for 2021 models) were notably less than the 2021 Mazda CX-5 Signature. OK, I didn’t need to spend $500 extra for the Soul Red paint, but it was one of the few things that I found attractive about the exterior of the CX-5.

So can we forget about the RAV 4 and CRV (or any hybrids for that matter—that is absolutely apples-to-oranges and of no relevance to anybody’s purchasing decisions regarding a CX-5)? Makes me think *I’m* being trolled.

As stated, the car I really wanted was another Tucson to replace my 2017 Tucson and also explained why I wasn’t willing to buy a Tucson off the lot, which didn’t suit me, at more than MSRP.

There isn’t much point continuing the thread, since I was blowing off steam because of my frustration with the CX-5, but just a quick summary of my nearly 4 years experience with my Tucson and 3 years experience with the CX-5:

The Tucson had every feature I wanted which the CX-5 Signature had. It also had a number of features I really wanted which were not available at all on the CX5:

-AWD Lock (with automatic disengage/re-engage depending on speed)
-Panoramic Sunroof
-Vertical cargo net pouch (could be installed horizontally as well)
-Auto-opening power rear hatch when you stood near enough to the rear of the car, for a long enough time, with the key fob in your pocket
-Rear seat heaters with the controls on the door armrests by the window switches, not hidden in the center console (which couldn’t be flipped down if someone or some object was occupying the center seat position
-Rear seats which could be folded down without removing and stowing the headrests.
-More front seat leg room (same front shoulder room), more rear seat head and shoulder room and more cargo space.

The CX-5 had quite a few gimmick features which I either didn’t care about (4-way cameras, power folding side mirrors, heads-up display) and some features I absolutely didn’t want (cell phone hot spot), but *couldn’t* avoid paying for if I was going to get the features I *did* want.

Although the performance of my 2017 Tucson was greatly improved in terms of traction, ride comfort and noise when I upgraded the tires at the time the OEM tires needed to be replaced, the fact is, the Tucson wasn’t bad before I did that and easily got me through several Winters with no problems. I simply haven’t had the wonderful experience which you all have had with a CX-5.

The turbo engine on the Tucson was plenty peppy and the 6-speed auto trans was very smooth and responsive with notably better gas mileage than the CX-5. Handling was fine. If you’ve driven that generation of Tucson and didn’t like it, then peace—everybody has their own tastes and priorities. If you never drove one, I’m not interested in your opinion on it since it is based on personal bias and not any real world experience.

I originally came to this forum hoping to find some answers to questions I had about what I considered oddities and deficiencies in the car, since it was my first Mazda and had no experience with one. Several people agreed with my observations, while most responses seemed to be from Mazda fanboys who couldn’t tolerate any criticism of the car.

If you prefer, I’ll leave the forum, as I don’t expect to have my CX-5 much longer. I’d rather pay less and get an equivalent car without a bunch of gimmicks, or a more expensive car which is much better. I’ve owned both at this point.

Last edited:
Why do I think that? Because as another post implied, if someone isn’t looking for a hybrid, they wouldn’t care how much it costs compared to a non-hybrid CX-5–it’s not a question of it being the most expensive trim level—it’s a different kind of car. Based on that criteria, the CX-5 fails *miserably* as a hybrid...

I wasn’t the one to bring up the RAV 4 or CRV and, as I said, the top trim levels of the non-hybrid AWD RAV and CRV (according to the manufacturers published MSRPs for 2021 models) were notably less than the 2021 Mazda CX-5 Signature. OK, I didn’t need to spend $500 extra for the Soul Red paint, but it was one of the few things that I found attractive about the exterior of the CX-5.

So can we forget about the RAV 4 and CRV (or any hybrids for that matter—that is absolutely apples-to-oranges and of no relevance to anybody’s purchasing decisions regarding a CX-5)? Makes me think *I’m* being trolled.

As stated, the car I really wanted was another Tucson to replace my 2017 Tucson and also explained why I wasn’t willing to buy a Tucson off the lot, which didn’t suit me, at more than MSRP.

There isn’t much point continuing the thread, since I was blowing off steam because of my frustration with the CX-5, but just a quick summary of my nearly 4 years experience with my Tucson and 3 years experience with the CX-5:

The Tucson had every feature I wanted which the CX-5 Signature had. It also had a number of features I really wanted which were not available at all on the CX5:

-Panoramic Sunroof
-Auto-opening power rear hatch when you stood near enough to the rear of the car, for a long enough time, with the key fob in your pocket
-Rear seat heaters with the controls on the door armrests by the window switches, not hidden in the center console (which couldn’t be flipped down if someone or some object was occupying the center seat position
-Rear seats which could be folded down without removing and stowing the headrests.
-More front seat leg room (same front shoulder room), more rear seat head and shoulder room and more cargo space.

The CX-5 had quite a few gimmick features which I either didn’t care about (4-way cameras, power folding side mirrors, heads-up display) and some features I absolutely didn’t want (cell phone hot spot), but *couldn’t* avoid paying for if I was going to get the features I *did* want.

Although the performance of my 2017 Tucson was greatly improved in terms of traction, ride comfort and noise when I upgraded the tires at the time the OEM tires needed to be replaced, the fact is, the Tucson wasn’t bad before I did that and easily got me through several Winters with no problems. I simply haven’t had the wonderful experience which you all have had with a CX-5.

The turbo engine on the Tucson was plenty peppy and the 6-speed auto trans was very smooth and responsive with notably better gas mileage than the CX-5. Handling was fine. If you’ve driven that generation of Tucson and didn’t like it, then peace—everybody has their own tastes and priorities. If you never drove one, I’m not interested in your opinion on it since it is based on personal bias and not any real world experience.

I originally came to this forum hoping to find some answers to questions I had about what I considered oddities and deficiencies in the car, since it was my first Mazda and had no experience with one. Several people agreed with my observations, while most responses seemed to be from Mazda fanboys who couldn’t tolerate any criticism of the car.

If you prefer, I’ll leave the forum, as I don’t expect to have my CX-5 much longer. I’d rather pay less and get an equivalent car without a bunch of gimmicks, or a more expensive car which is much better. I’ve owned both at this point.
I find it ironic that the front wheel drive Tucson limited has a 2.5l NA 187hp engine and is still more expensive than the equivalent AWD top trim level non turbo CX-5.

-Panoramic Sunroof

As individuals, we like what we like. I think a lot of posters are being defensive because their real-world experience doesn't mirror yours.

Plenty of people have commented that the OEM tires are likely the culprit. They are well known for being a not-so-great tire for wear and winter performance. If you want to give the CX-5 a fair shake, replace the tires for a better set.

-Panoramic Sunroof

Sorry to say this but your "problems" with you car are not criticism towards CX5 as a car but personal biases which to be honest most of us don't agree as they are laughable. Everybody has gripes with Mazda to a certain extent if you read this forum but nobody comes here and complains about what you just complained when in reality is lack of poor judgement (why are you even driving in snowy conditions with crappy all-season tires and blame the AWD system on it) and knowledge about the car that you purchased and what can and can't do.

Sorry to say this but your "problems" with you car are not criticism towards CX5 as a car but personal biases which to be honest most of us don't agree as they are laughable. Everybody has gripes with Mazda to a certain extent if you read this forum but nobody comes here and complains about what you just complained when in reality is lack of poor judgement (why are you even driving in snowy conditions with crappy all-season tires and blame the AWD system on it) and knowledge about the car that you purchased and what can and can't do.
Yep, the OP obviously did not research the CX-5 enough (if at all) before purchasing.

Apparently my mistake was not assuming the OEM tires were so bad right from the start, they should have been replaced the day I bought the car (or should never have been put on the car in the first place). I was driving in “snowy conditions” because I’ve done that for decades with cars (even on OEM tires and with a few non-AWD cars) and never had such an unexpectedly bad handling experience (other than my first car, the 1979 Chevy Citation I mentioned). With my CX-5, it wasn’t snowing, nor was the driveway snow-covered, I was on level terrain and I wasn’t going very fast (I was on my driveway after all), and as I said, one front tire caught the edge of about 4-5 inches of snow plowed along the side of the driveway and lost traction (the other three tires were still on the driveway) so I steered away from the edge of the driveway and the rear of the car began to swing out. I instinctively let up on the accelerator and the rear began coming around even faster. On any previous AWD car I‘ve owned, getting back on the gas a bit would bring the car back in line if the rear end started sliding out, but in this case the rear end kept sliding even faster until the rear wheels went off the drive, dragging the front tire which initially clipped the snow off the drive as well. I don’t know what the system was trying to do, but it certainly wasn’t trying to make the car go where I was pointing it.

Are the OEM tires really that bad that if you lose traction on one tire you basically lose traction completely? I will say after some effort, the one front tire still on the driveway was eventually able to pull me out of the shallow drainage ditch along the side of the driveway and back onto the drive.

Can you tell me what appropriate actions I should have taken with a CX-5, since the AWD system seems to respond differently than any others I’ve owned. I don’t understand why the rear end would swing out so quickly when both rear tires were still on the driveway.

Last edited:
I find it ironic that the front wheel drive Tucson limited has a 2.5l NA 187hp engine and is still more expensive than the equivalent AWD top trim level non turbo CX-5.
Again, I’m talking about 2021 model year here. The top of the line Tucson Limited with the turbo and AWD was many thousands of dollars less than the CX-5 Signature, with all of the options which mattered to me.

Again, I’m talking about 2021 model year here. The top of the line Tucson Limited with the turbo and AWD was many thousands of dollars less than the CX-5 Signature, with all of the options which mattered to me.
2021 Tucson did not offer a turbo. Their limited and ultimate had the optional 181hp NA 2.4. The price of those is right in line (more if you want awd) with the 187hp Mazda.

I think you're right, but I think you can do this on the CX-5 with the '22+ changes.
I definitely would not want this. It would end up opening when I don't want it to.
I don't have to remove the headrests on mine, but you probably have the front seats back far enough to cause interference. With that said, I did remove mine for increased rear visibility.

The longer CX-50 supposedly has more leg room for those seats so it shouldn't have that issue.

I understand the OP frustrations, been there done that with previous vehicles; when you have enough, you have enough! My CX-5 is not perfect but I learned to accept its small irritants and adjust accordingly. I've installed a vertical net (from a 2012 RAV4) against the rear seat backs, read the manual before changing the fob battery as it's different from most other vehicles, got used to the smaller interior and storage space coming from a larger vehicle. We all have different needs so what's perfect for one could be disaster for another owner.

I usually got tired of my vehicles after a couple of years and used to change on average every 3 years attracted by novelty; not the case anymore with my CX-5 it's a keeper since I don't drive much anymore and it's probably my last vehicle.

My previous ride was a 2017.5 Murano and it was nothing but trouble. I was on a Murano forum and expressed my dissatisfaction and was told to move on so I bought a CX-5! If the OP thinks he's better off with a Tucson fine by be it's not a bad product, to each his own life is too short.

Last edited:
Can you tell me what appropriate actions I should have taken with a CX-5, since the AWD system seems to respond differently than any others I’ve owned. I don’t understand why the rear end would swing out so quickly when both rear tires were still on the driveway.

I can imagine that the rear would break loose if those tires could not get traction. Similar to what would happen if you put worn tires on the rear and brand new ones up front - you could take a turn and the rear would break loose before the front, resulting in oversteer. In this case it sounds like one of the front wheels lost traction, you accelerated to regain traction, power was sent to the rear, but the tires spun you off the driveway because they didn't have traction. So, change the tires?

I wanted to point out what appears to be an inconsistency. You've had your 2021 since new. Due to the issues in your OP, you're considering getting rid of it with 23k on it. Then in a later post, you mention that the car has less than 20k, and that the tires have "plenty of tread".

Yes, I have the OEM tires and they have plenty of tread on them. I am also used to replacing my OEM tires with something better as soon as possible, but I actually have less then 20K miles on the car at this point, so I can't justify that.

Then, in this post, you say that the tires have 15-16k on them. Why not just say 15k initially? You also admit that the tires aren't very good, and yet you're still quick to blame the AWD system.

Sorry, I don't actually have 20K on the tires yet (more between 15-16K) and have NEVER had OEM tires wear out that fast (nor are these tires in fact worn out at all, they have plenty of tread on them). The tires simply aren't very good and while that may be true of most OEM tires, these are pretty poor in terms of traction compared to most OEM tires I've had in the last 20 years).

So, what is the actual mileage on the car and tires? Additionally, do you have a picture of the tread? Maybe the tires are wearing unevenly, causing some possible traction issues?

This appears to be the only complaint you've posted about regarding the AWD. Seems that you had no problems with it until this one incident.

2021 Tucson did not offer a turbo. Their limited and ultimate had the optional 181hp NA 2.4. The price of those is right in line (more if you want awd) with the 187hp Mazda.
Wow, I didn't realize the 2021 didn't have a turbo, even at the time I test drove it, as my 2017 Tucson Limited came standard with a nice 1.6L turbo and the 2021 was just a later year of the same generation vehicle.

It doesn't really matter to me if a car has a turbo or not, as long as the performance is good enough without one. The NA standard 2021 Ultimate engine actually has more horsepower than my 1.6T did, so it certainly didn't feel underpowered when I test drove it...

I think you're right, but I think you can do this on the CX-5 with the '22+ changes.

I definitely would not want this. It would end up opening when I don't want it to.

I don't have to remove the headrests on mine, but you probably have the front seats back far enough to cause interference. With that said, I did remove mine for increased rear visibility.

The longer CX-50 supposedly has more leg room for those seats so it shouldn't have that issue.
The hatch is a mixed blessing, but we've used that feature more times than we accidentally triggered it and you can disable the function and still open the trunk with a button press either on the dash, at the hatch or on the fob.

We just had to remember not to hang around talking right behind the vehicle :) It wouldn't open if you just walked past the back--when it would detect the fob, it would beep and flash the lights to tell you either back off or the hatch is going to open.

Wow, I didn't realize the 2021 didn't have a turbo, even at the time I test drove it, as my 2017 Tucson Limited came standard with a nice 1.6L turbo and the 2021 was just a later year of the same generation vehicle.

It doesn't really matter to me if a car has a turbo or not, as long as the performance is good enough without one. The NA standard 2021 Ultimate engine actually has more horsepower than my 1.6T did, so it certainly didn't feel underpowered when I test drove it...
That’s the base engine. The upgraded engine is 181 hp more comparable to the non-turbo CX-5. Comparing a turbo CX-5 non-turbo Tucson is like comparing a turbo to a hybrid. Gets apples and oranges. If you compare the trims that are most like, the Hyundai is actually more expensive.

Back