At my wits end... *May contain complaints 😉

Sorry, I don't actually have 20K on the tires yet (more between 15-16K) and have NEVER had OEM tires wear out that fast (nor are these tires in fact worn out at all, they have plenty of tread on them). The tires simply aren't very good and while that may be true of most OEM tires, these are pretty poor in terms of traction compared to most OEM tires I've had in the last 20 years).

I thought I did a enough research--I never imagined a mainstream Japanese car for $2000 to $4000 more than most of the other cars I was looking at would be inferior to them. I thought there was a fault in the car when the side mirrors wouldn't return to their memory positions, until I discovered the car does NOT store the mirror positions.

This is something I would never have bothered to check, because every single car I've owned which had seat memory (including cars for under $30,000) always had mirror memory as well--it's just something that everybody expects! Without it, the seat memory isn't much of feature, since you still need to waste time adjusting all the mirrors every time someone else has driven the car.

Then there's the AWD "lock" function. Every AWD car I've owned let me manually lock the car in AWD when I knew traction conditions were poor, instead of waiting for the system to determine the wheels were slipping and, hey, maybe AWD should engage. These systems would automatically disengage when the car was traveling at higher speeds (under the reasonable assumption traction must be good if I'm driving that fast), then would re-engage when my speed dropped low enough--perfect for NEPA weather were some roads can be snow-covered and others not. While the CX-5 does have a form of AWD lock, they tell you to make sure you *manually* turn it off when driving at higher speeds or on dry roads.

Don't worry, I am planning on buying something else, as the CX-5 really has been the least satisfying car I've owned in the last 20 years. I realize some of those cars were even more "premium" than the CX-5, but they were nonetheless cheaper and many others of those cars weren't premium either... I suggest Mazda stop wasting time and money on gimmick features like a heads-up display or a built-in cellular hotspot (really, my cell phone can do a hotspot if I need it to) and concentrate on useful features people really want and can already get on cheaper cars.

Oh, and since you got me started--I never would have guessed or bothered to "research" that the driver's seat on the CX-5 is offset to the right, instead of being centered on the steering wheel. No big deal...except the heads-up display can only be adjusted up and down, not left and right, so all I need to do is lean slightly to the right and the side of the HUD gets cut off (also, the brightness of the HUD is unreliable, as it has gone dim on me in bright sunlight and the only way to restore proper operation is to turn the car off and restart it).

No, $40K is not the low end of cars these days. There are plenty of cars under $40K, many of which are superior to the CX-5 in my opinion...
I’ve owned many AWD cars and not one of them had a diff lock. 3 Audi Quattros, 2 Subarus, a CRV, Mercedes Sprinter, Chevrolet Express. Not one had AWD lock. If you complain about the mirror not being linked to a key, don’t buy a newer Audi. The user settings are in the touch screen, not linked to a key.

You also need to quit comparing a CX-5 to luxury German cars. Compare them to a RAV4 or CRV.

Last edited:
Funny I live in the same area as you and when I drive local I drive up one of the Hazleton's mountains at least 3 time a week and get 26+mpg 32+ on the highway. Had no issues with snow either of the 2 winters I have had my PP. I also have had numerous AWD as well as 4 WD and never had a lock on the AWD, to me that is the difference, my last AWD was a Honda HRV.

I’ve owned many AWD cars and not one of them had a diff lock. 3 Audi Quattros, 2 Subarus, a CRV, Mercedes Sprinter, Chevrolet Express. Not one had AWD lock. If you complain about the mirror not being linked to a key, don’t buy a newer Audi. The user settings are in the touch screen, not linked to a key.

You also need to quit comparing a CX-5 to luxury German cars. Compare them to a RAV4 or CRV.
Yeah, here's where the CX-5 competes mostly:

With the right mods though, I think a CX-5 Turbo can be considered a budget Porsche Macan. It almost keeps up with an AMG GLA 35. Good tires, a JB4, and some mild suspension work and you have something special for substantially less money.

Last edited:
Anyone complaining about AWD performance with inadequate rubber to grip the snow shouldn't be taken too seriously. I hang out with the 4x4s when the 2-foot snowfall events happen here. Not the Foresters. I've never had an issue with traction with nearly 100K miles between 2 CX-5s in northern Minnesota nor the UP of Michigan or anywhere in between. My mechanic is a die-hard Subaru fan who Drives an early 2000s 5MT Forester and had to admit that the CX-5 AWD was nothing like the "slip-then-grip" AWD systems of the past. There are plenty of threads and posts about how active the AWD system is. Get better tires.

Edit: interesting the response I got from a NEW CX-5 driver from Alabama, known for their massive snowfalls. Please.
OK, I get it, I need better tires. I'm guessing the Mazda OEM tires are pure sh*t, as I've never had a problem with the OEM tires on previous AWD cars (though, when they needed to be replaced, I *did* replace them with better tires which gave me even better performance. I don't really understand putting crap OEM tires on a car which has the extra expense of AWD, so that it totally undermines the value of the AWD system...

The only AWD car I've had which I stuck with the OEM tire brand/model was my Wife's 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk. The OEM "all terrain" tires which came on the car were so good, combined with the "smart" snow mode of the AWD system and the limited slip rear differential, makes the car a total beast when things get bad. Frankly it's the only car I've hung on to longer than 5 years/50,000 miles (it's currently at 10 years, 89,000 miles).

Last edited:
I've honestly never heard of a car locking the differentials like a 4WD truck. Are you sure that's what is really happening? Because you will end up spinning tires that don't have traction.
They all appeared to work the same way (except our Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk, which has a mechanical limited slip differential). When lock was selected, all four wheels were driven all of the time and if a wheel started slipping, the ABS sensors would detect that and apply braking to that wheel to prevent the wheel from spinning and stealing power from the other wheels. I don’t know exactly how it worked, I just know it absolutely did work...

I don’t see the CX-5 competing with the RAV4 or the CRV. Not that I like either of those cars, but they were *thousands* of dollars less than even the discounted price on my CX-5 Signature...

Starting prices are comparable at the 30K mark, except Mazda offers better value, in terms of standard equipment (such as AWD which is extra cost on the others) and material quality, at the lower price points. If you prefer German cars, that's cool. Both of my parents own one. I am not a fan of their expensive parts or resale value, though. I also worked in BMW sales for 3 years and saw what the service bills are like - ridiculous. Check out BMW resale values for a laugh.

I don’t see the CX-5 competing with the RAV4 or the CRV. Not that I like either of those cars, but they were *thousands* of dollars less than even the discounted price on my CX-5 Signature...
RAV4 front wheel drive msrp is $800 less than CX-5. Rav4 AWD is $800 more than CX-5. CRV is $200 more. Whether you like it or not, those are the direct competitors, not Mercedes and Audi.

I think AWD ‘lock’ that Boby@ is talking about is not locking all diffs, just applying power to the front/rear diffs together like a traditional 4WD system (i.e. transfer case). The front and rear diffs would still function normally (open or limited slip).

My mom’s old (2006?) Escape had that. It was normally automatic AWD but had a switch to put it in 4WD to lock power 50/50 front/rear. It still had open diffs front and rear so as mentioned, the ABS system was used to stop wheels (left/right) from spinning.

The CX-5 is a direct competitor to the Rav4 and CR-V, whether you believe it or not. Prices are very much competitive, too. Not "thousands" of dollars less. These are top trims of each:

1709130860094.png

1709130898753.png

1709131080455.png

I would chose the CX-5 Signature all day, over the other 2. The others have better fuel economy, but don't stand a chance against the Mazda if you prefer driving pleasure and performance.

Bottom of the line-up is comparably priced (MSRP); top of the line-up is comparably priced. Variability depending on the specific dealerships in question, of course.

Roughly, the range of model features and pricing between each of these three lines is comparable. Toyota and Honda both have hybrid drive trains, while the Mazda is ICE. The Mazda's top CX-5 has more power than the competing top pair from Toyota and Honda. They're each squarely aimed at (more or less) the same buyer, with the same basic features.

Subjectively, I'd say the Mazda CX-5 has an interior that's noticeably more up-rated as compared to the top Toyota RAV4 or the top Honda CRV. I've driven each of the three, though not in "top" trim. I would say that the CX-5's handling feels a bit livelier as well.

All depends on what specific features and "feel" one is looking for, and how one values that given aspect.

Bottom of the line-up is comparably priced (MSRP); top of the line-up is comparably priced. Variability depending on the specific dealerships in question, of course.

Roughly, the range of model features and pricing between each of these three lines is comparable. Toyota and Honda both have hybrid drive trains, while the Mazda is ICE. The Mazda's top CX-5 has more power than the competing top pair from Toyota and Honda. They're each squarely aimed at (more or less) the same buyer, with the same basic features.

Subjectively, I'd say the Mazda CX-5 has an interior that's noticeably more up-rated as compared to the top Toyota RAV4 or the top Honda CRV. I've driven each of the three, though not in "top" trim. I would say that the CX-5's handling feels a bit livelier as well.

All depends on what specific features and "feel" one is looking for, and how one values that given aspect.
When I got my PP in March of 22 Rav 4 hybrid was almost $10,000 more 35,000 to 44000. I am finished with cvt anyway.

I think Mazda used to be cheaper with more features vs Rav4 and CRV. They are in the same class.
Thats no longer the case. All CUVs (pure gas ones) are kind of leveled nowadays. Mazda also had to do lots of cost cut here and there to be cheaper in the past.
But neither of the 3 cuvs can compete with the Europeans luxury. Mazda is not Bmw nor Audi nor Mercedes and certainly not Macan.

When I got my PP in March of 22 Rav 4 hybrid was almost $10,000 more 35,000 to 44000. I am finished with cvt anyway.

Though, now we're talking about apples-to-oranges examples (hybrid vs not). Additional secondary power systems in a car can be costly, above and beyond an otherwise comparable ICE. Depending on specific features and trim, of course. (Toyota's top ICE variant of the RAV4 would be a more-reasonable comparison to the Mazda top Turbo Signature, same year, such as the TRD Off-Road or the Limited.)

Though, now we're talking about apples-to-oranges examples (hybrid vs not). Additional secondary power systems in a car can be costly, above and beyond an otherwise comparable ICE. Depending on specific features and trim, of course. (Toyota's top ICE variant of the RAV4 would be a more-reasonable comparison to the Mazda top Turbo Signature, same year, such as the TRD Off-Road or the Limited.)
The top-tier RAV4‘s still have the same engine as the base. A direct comparison would be the RAV4 limited to the CX-5 premium plus. In that instance, the all-wheel-drive Mazda is $500 cheaper than the Front Wheel Dr., RAV4 limited.

X2

We didn't want any of the euro suvs. Personal preference to be under the radar, reliability, maintenance cost and resale value.

RAV4, NOT for me at ANY price. Lexus, NO deal either. I read so many reviews before buying our CX 5, my eyes glazed over. Bottom line, when one add AWD the list pricing is a few hundred dollars difference.

Mazda's 5 year 0% financing sealed the deal. That was +$4,000 in interest savings over 5 years.

Our 24 cx5, T, Prem is almost on par with a rdx as far as amenities. Performance the 2.5 T is dead even with the rdx. 87 or 91 Oct Mazda Vs. 91 Oct rdx was another reason. Technically the CX-5 Turbo is ahead of a RDX.

We drove a rdx and liked the cx5 T better. We like an understated interior and exterior. Understated feels like luxury to us. The cabin is soo quiet. The doors sound like closing a vault. Attention to detail is abundant from the cabin to the nuts and bolts.

This thread has been both informative and amusing!

From this post, we learned how to deal with a dead fob battery and put replacing FOB batteries on Jan 1 every year. We will carry spare batteries in the car.

I love how folks don't take personal responsibility for how they drive or willing to investigate options such as tires. A Mazda CX 5 is NOT for everyone. I'm glad it's NOT. If one doesn't like the car, grow up and move on.....

As an engineer, I get a lot of deserved ribbing. Like: Why is the engineer in the meeting always so angry? Because he thinks he is the smartest person in the room and makes half as much as everyone else!

After many years I learned that I'd rather have fun than trying to always be right....

Last edited:
The CX-5 is a direct competitor to the Rav4 and CR-V, whether you believe it or not. Prices are very much competitive, too. Not "thousands" of dollars less. These are top trims of each:

View attachment 326326

View attachment 326327

View attachment 326328

I would chose the CX-5 Signature all day, over the other 2. The others have better fuel economy, but don't stand a chance against the Mazda if you prefer driving pleasure and performance.

I'm guessing you didn't notice that both the CRV and RAV4 you listed are *hybrid* (gas/electric) vehicles? My CX-5 is most assuredly not a hybrid (the gas mileage would be much better if it were...).

Also, compare 2021 models, not current models:

The hybrid drivetrain (which had standard AWD) on the 2021 RAV added an additional $1300 to the price of a non-hybrid RAV with optional AWD. The top-of-the-line non-hybrid 2021 RAV4 "Limited" had an MSRP of $36,280, while my Soul Red 2021 CX-5 "Signature" had an MSRP of $38100--nearly $2000 more.

The hybrid 2021 CRV "Touring" AWD had an MSRP of $36,350, while the top-of-the-line non-hybrid CRV "Touring" AWD had an MSRP of $35,150, so $2950 more for my 2021 CX-5.

I didn't care for either the RAV4 or the CRV, so I didn't bother looking at them. The top-of-the-line 2021 Hyundai Tucson "Ultimate", which had everything I wanted, had an MSRP of $33,450, so $4650 more for my 2021 CX-5. It would have been nice if I could have found one available locally and if the dealers were willing to actually negotiate instead of MSRP-or-above and trade-in offers that were insulting (about 1/3 book value of my trade-in--Tucsons were in very high demand at the time.

I will say the Mazda dealer I bought my CX-5 from was willing to shave a bit (a little bit) off the MSRP and gave me a fair trade on my trade-in (other Mazda dealers in the area did neither).

Last edited:
Shown above says Rav 4 hybrid is same price as cx5 that is what I was talking about
I'm guessing you didn't notice that both the CRV and RAV4 you listed are *hybrid* (gas/electric) vehicles? My CX-5 is most assuredly not a hybrid (the gas mileage would be much better if it were...).

The hybrid drivetrain (which had standard AWD) on the 2021 RAV added an additional $1300 to the price of a non-hybrid RAV with optional AWD. The top-of-the-line non-hybrid 2021 RAV4 "Limited" had an MSRP of $36,280, while my Soul Red 2021 CX-5 "Signature" had an MSRP of $38100--nearly $2000 more.

The hybrid 2021 CRV "Touring" AWD had an MSRP of $36,350, while the top-of-the-line non-hybrid CRV "Touring" AWD had an MSRP of $35,150, so $2950 more for my 2021 CX-5.

I didn't care for either the RAV4 or the CRV, so I didn't bother looking at them. The top-of-the-line 2021 Hyundai Tucson "Ultimate", which had everything I wanted, had an MSRP of $33,450, so $4650 more for my 2021 CX-5. It would have been nice if I could have found one available locally and if the dealers were willing to actually negotiate instead of MSRP-or-above and trade-in offers that were insulting (about 1/3 book value of my trade-in--Tucsons were in very high demand at the time.

I will say the Mazda dealer I bought my CX-5 from was willing to shave a bit (a little bit) off the MSRP and gave me a fair trade on my trade-in (other Mazda dealers in the area did neither).
I got mine PP in 22 it is NA, and I looked online at rav 4 Hybrid it was at least 45,000 my PP was 36,000 it is NA

Your signature has the turbo, not available on the Rav or CRV. You are comparing apples to oranges. If you compare the top tier non turbo (premium plus), it is cheaper than both.

Latest posts

Back