CX-70 will have same exterior dimensions as CX-90

From the Mazda CX70 preview site:

"WHERE DOES THE CX-70 FIT IN THE MAZDA LINEUP?

The Mazda CX-70 is a mid-size SUV with sporty style and features. It’s larger than the Mazda CX-5 and the Mazda CX-50. The CX-70 is an option for those seeking a vibrant and active lifestyle who need extra cargo space. By comparison, the similarly-sized Mazda CX-90 offers 3rd-row seating for up to 8 people. This larger vehicle is perfect for families or those who enjoy driving around others in an elegantly crafted interior."

Notice how the 2nd sentence doesn't end w/the expected "...but smaller than the CX-90"! I also bolded and italicized the word "similarly" for emphasis since it's pretty obvious the CX-90 was the starting point for the CX-70. If you are ignoring all the comments being made by car journalists who have seen and taken pics of the CX-70 in person, then you do so at your own peril!

Similar does not mean same. There's an ambiguity to it, likely by design, to keep people guessing or to hold their interests. I personally think it will actually have the same exterior dimensions, but I can't be 100% sure until they release official specs.

Similar does not mean same. There's an ambiguity to it, likely by design, to keep people guessing or to hold their interests. I personally think it will actually have the same exterior dimensions, but I can't be 100% sure until they release official specs.
Yes, it's definitely by design! There's nothing I would change in that Mazda paragraph if I wanted to hold potential CX70 buyers hostage. LOL! Marketing speak at its best!

Yes, official dimensions and specs have not been released yet. By all accounts, it does look like it will be the exact same size, which is probably why all the auto journalists and reviewers are saying it is. But we still don't have official specs, and they were shown pre-production models. It's unlikely that the production model will change appreciably in terms of looks/dimensions, but one can only hope :LOL:
Wish one of these journalists would just get a bit dirty and measure the damn thing.

Unless they were somehow not allowed, which would add to the ridiculous charade.

Yes, official dimensions and specs have not been released yet. By all accounts, it does look like it will be the exact same size, which is probably why all the auto journalists and reviewers are saying it is. But we still don't have official specs, and they were shown pre-production models. It's unlikely that the production model will change appreciably in terms of looks/dimensions, but one can only hope :LOL:

I can hope the 70 is slightly shorter but I realize it's unlikely for several reasons. An unknown number of things can change between a pre-production vehicle and the production vehicle. There's likely a reason or two why Mazda didn't release the specs with the reveal - they used parts on one/both pre-production vehicles that won't be on the 'final' models. A production vehicle and specs being released at the same time would allow people to make decisions and form better opinions - but there may be a marketing reason they didn't do so.

Candidly speaking, Mazda vehicle fans should have seen something like this coming - they've been making odd decisions for decades. Driving dynamics and reliability are generally pretty darn good - marketing and design can be odd but that's part of their recipe.

After owning several Mazdas, I'd like to get back into one again. If they wait until June, I'll be driving something else - if it's not too big, it'll be too late.

@hoodlum posted in the other thread that the Canadian government already has fuel econ specs for the CX70 and they are nearly unchanged from the CX90 (if anything, the annual fuel cost is somehow worse?!!!):

Mazda Compare.png

Official dimensions are not out yet, but the writing is clearly on the wall that the CX70 and CX90 are practically the same size!

@hoodlum posted in the other thread that the Canadian government already has fuel econ specs for the CX70 and they are nearly unchanged from the CX90 (if anything, the annual fuel cost is somehow worse?!!!):

View attachment 325891

Official dimensions are not out yet, but the writing is clearly on the wall that the CX70 and CX90 are practically the same size!
Something doesn't jive with the fuel cost. I know pot is legal in Canada but they must have been smoking some really strong stuff :eek:

Something doesn't jive with the fuel cost. I know pot is legal in Canada but they must have been smoking some really strong stuff :eek:
The fuel economy rating of the CX-70 matches exactly to the CX-90. There is no difference and is not surprising since they are essentially the same vehicle.

Parked next to a Toyota Sienna today. Maybe that's something Mazda should have done with the 90. Give people the sliding door and 3 rows, then the fixed doors with 2 rows on the CX-70.

The fuel economy rating of the CX-70 matches exactly to the CX-90. There is no difference and is not surprising since they are essentially the same vehicle.
I know they have the same ratings but the there is a price difference that I don't understand with fuel cost, close to $200. No big deal! Seems like they didn't use the same cost per liter of fuel...

I know they have the same ratings but the there is a price difference that I don't understand with fuel cost, close to $200. No big deal! Seems like they didn't use the same cost per liter of fuel...
Not adjusted for inflation maybe?

Fuel costs are down, so that doesn't make sense.
This is getting very confusing...Sorry for opening a can of wormso_O Also the high power fuel costs don't make sense vs the base engine for both CX-70 and CX-90. A simple math 9.5 divided by 9.3=1.02. So a 2% increase would mean $2941 instead of $3515 for the CX-70 and $2751 instead of $3230 for the CX-90. I think the base engine was rated with regular gas and the high power with premium as recommended by Mazda. Still doesn't explain why the CX-70 annual fuel costs are higher than the CX-90. As I said before, no big deal!

Last edited:
A simple math 9.5 divided by 9.3=1.02. So a 2% increase would mean $2941 instead of $3515 for the CX-70 and $2751 instead of $3230 for the CX-90.
Well you're right something isn't adding up.

9.3 to 9.5 is a 2.15% increase.

(9.5-9.3)/9.3 = 0.0215
Move the decimal (x100) = 2.15
$2941+2.15% = $3004.23
$2751+2.15% = $2810.14

Amazed that NONE of the journo's who had access to the CX-70 bothered to measure it! They're all yapping about the size, same size as CX-90, why'd Mazda do this, but not a single writer got out the measuring tape and verified? Geez ... just one guy could've put a stop to all the speculation.
That said, it sure looks like the same exact size as the 90.

Amazed that NONE of the journo's who had access to the CX-70 bothered to measure it! They're all yapping about the size, same size as CX-90, why'd Mazda do this, but not a single writer got out the measuring tape and verified? Geez ... just one guy could've put a stop to all the speculation.
That said, it sure looks like the same exact size as the 90.
Also, they are not journalists. They are influencers.

Very disappointed in this Cx-70! A sad and lazy attempt by Mazda by simply removing the 3rd row seats…was expecting a diff platform, shape and design but no! As someone who’s downsizing soon after owning the great CX-9 for 7+yrs and having the last 3 vehicles all Mazdas, was looking forward to the next replacement which was the CX-70 but I don’t need a 200-inch vehicle in my driveway any longer! Looked at the CX-5 (needs a new design) and Cx-50 and while a good size for my needs and great design, there are some features that aren’t good and lacking on that plus with competition ramping up their electrification, more and more hybrids and PHEVs are coming out while Mazda is just so late into the game! Looks like my next vehicle replacement won’t be the CX-70! If they introduced a hybrid or PHEV version of the CX-60 from EU as a CX-70 here in NA then likely wil go for that…bad sadly no! Now leaning more towards the competition!

Not sure if it's because the embargo is lifted today but the dimensions are out according to the website and...wait for it...it's the same length as the CX90!

Here's the reason for the long 2-row:

Last edited:
The writing sounds kind of ambiguous, not that different from C&D and other writeups that came out after the initial unveiling.
Agreed (as if created by ChatGPT)! However, official CX70 dimensions can easily be found on the Canadian Mazda site under the build page. The US version appears to be down/not active as of this writing.

Edit: US build site is up with only 2 trims available to start! Site is coy w/the dimensions but can easily by gotten from the CA site after metric to imperial conversion!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back