2016 CX-5 Touring AWD Engine Failure (locked up / seized)

heywire

2016 CX-5 Grand Touring w/ Tech, 2016 CX-5 Touring
Has anyone experienced complete engine failure w/ the 2.5L (aside from the cracked head issues)?

After years of happiness with my 2016 GT, I picked up a 2016 Touring for my daughter w/ 105k miles on it. Unfortunately about 6k miles later, the engine seized. It is currently at the dealership receiving a new engine. As of right now, they don't really know why it seized. Oil level and condition is good (it was changed about 600 miles ago, no signs of coolant), coolant level is good, no codes stored or pending, no noises or any other symptoms leading up to the issue. My daughter was driving and it simply died on her. Maintenance records looked good on CarFax. I've asked them to report back if they find any shavings in the oil, but aside from that, I doubt they'll tear down the engine to identify the root cause unless I wanted to pay the labor for it. Just curious if anyone else has been through this with their CX-5 (or other Mazda using this engine).

Dang, that's no fun! Buy a particular vehicle because it's known for it's reliability and get a whammy like that! I don't think I've ever heard of a skyactiv-G just "locking up" . It would be interesting to know the failure for sure.

... I doubt they'll tear down the engine to identify the root cause unless I wanted to pay the labor for it. ...

That makes me think of a YouTube channel I saw where a guy tears down all kinds of engines that have failed to see why. He did a Mazda engine and was commenting on it was the first he had ever seen. I'll have to see if I can find it again and post.

[Edit to add the video ...]
https://youtu.be/72q69lb3njo?si=UxEaWN_0eiBRl5OO

Maybe the "I DO CARS" YouTube guy will want your engine for his channel if it indeed needs replaced.

Last edited:
[...] He did a Mazda engine and was commenting on it was the first he had ever seen. I'll have to see if I can find it again and post.

[Edit to add the video ...]
https://youtu.be/72q69lb3njo?si=UxEaWN_0eiBRl5OO
Looking at that video his conclusion was that coolant mixed with the oil, but he couldn't tell why. But if you look at the portion at 4'28" where he's looking in the exhaust ports, there seems to be a very obvious head crack. Is this the same notorious "CD crack" that many have complained of?

1704138822760.png

Just to close the loop on this one, it turned out that the #1 rod bearing had failed, seizing it to the crankshaft. We moved forward with having Jake Sweeney Mazda replace the engine (long block) for $6700 and have been very happy with the result.

Back