2017 CX-5 Grand Touring Rear Tire Replacement

:
2017 Mazda CX-5 GT
Hi group

I have cracks forming on the sides of my 2017 Cx5 GT AWD rear tires from use I was quoted $250/tire. Is this a good price? If not should I order my own? Looking for best option

Thank you!

Who quoted you $250? Dealer? If you've never replaced the tires you should replace all 4. There's lots of options, shop around. My dealer will match the price of any tire store if they've able to get the tire.

Without knowing the name and model of the tire, it's impossible to say. I would highly recommend you look around Costco, TireRack.com, Discount Tires, etc to find the right tire.

... Looking for best option ...
All depends what is important to you....
Cost?
Long lasting(time)?
Long lasting (tread life mileage) ?
Smooth ride?
Summer/winter/rain grip?

Lots of options out there. Personally, I think there are better tires than the OEM that came with the car.

If you wait a couple of months till spring time, many of the manufacturers have rebates in the $100+ range for a set of 4

That's a typical price of a tire but if that's including mounting and balancing, even better.

Still, if your rear tires are old enough to be doing that, the fronts are just as old. You should replace all 4 to keep total diameter the same for AWD.

I did quite a bit better than $250 a tire... I think they were a just bit over $150. I ordered them from Discount Tires Online and had them mounted at a local walmart.

There are people that recommend new tires regardless of mileage when the tires reach a certain age, due to deterioration caused by ozone, sunlight, heat, etc. After all, some tires are made with some natural rubber which can be harvested from a tree. The better tire rubber compounds last longer than natural rubber but age gradually, depending on your local environmental, where you park it, etc.

That's a typical price of a tire but if that's including mounting and balancing, even better.

Still, if your rear tires are old enough to be doing that, the fronts are just as old. You should replace all 4 to keep total diameter the same for AWD.

$250 per tire is typical? Perhaps for a rear motorcycle tire but for a CX?

Ok, maybe you're right. I just took a look at Tirerack.com and browsed the tires that fit.

OEM tires (Toyo) list for $177 each.

Looks like other brands top out at around $300 each! Holy crap!!!

It's been a while since I purchased car/truck tires and I do get em from Tire Rack when I buy.

There are plenty of options for any budget, it absolutely doesn't have to be $250
Walmart has 225/55R19 starting from $90, from questionable manufacturers, but I'm sure some of them might be not too bad, especially compared to stock
The cheapest major brand tire is Goodyear for $145 which has excellent reviews there, but seems noisy (probably not as much as stock)

Last edited:
I was talking about tire + installation, as per the OP. But yeah if you want better, $250/tire is to be expected.

Hi group

I have cracks forming on the sides of my 2017 Cx5 GT AWD rear tires from use I was quoted $250/tire. Is this a good price? If not should I order my own? Looking for best option

Thank you!

If one is cracking, the others are. At 6 years old they are all due for replacement.

I'm running these and I like them. They do have a growl OEM doesn't.

I liked these a lot, but you'll have to go up 10mm.

The Michelin LTX A/S tires I ran are no longer available.

Last edited:
As some one else said, if they're over 6 years old then they're subject to dry rot and should all be replaced. GT AWD, I'm guessing you're running the 19 inchers in which case that's an average price.

Back