CX-70 debut information, pictures, discussion

I went back and looked at the CX90 to see which versions have the black cladding and which have the body-colored trim. Turns out that all the Turbo S versions have the body-colored trim, including the lowest level Turbo S. And all the 3.3 Turbo (non-S) versions have the black cladding, even the 3.3 Turbo (non-S) Premium Plus.

Below are pictures of the CX90 3.3 Turbo S Premium Plus and the 3.3 Turbo (non-S) Premium Plus, both in white since the difference is most noticeable with white or light silver.

How this plays out with the CX70 remains to be seen. To me, the aesthetic difference is enormous, although it might not matter to other people. IMO, matching colored trim makes the car look much more upscale, and at $50K or more that should be the impression. (Probably matters a lot less with black exterior.)

1706907581829.png

1706907617048.png

I went back and looked at the CX90 to see which versions have the black cladding and which have the body-colored trim. Turns out that all the Turbo S versions have the body-colored trim, including the lowest level Turbo S. And all the 3.3 Turbo (non-S) versions have the black cladding, even the 3.3 Turbo (non-S) Premium Plus.

Below are pictures of the CX90 3.3 Turbo S Premium Plus and the 3.3 Turbo (non-S) Premium Plus, both in white since the difference is most noticeable with white or light silver.

How this plays out with the CX70 remains to be seen. To me, the aesthetic difference is enormous, although it might not matter to other people. IMO, matching colored trim makes the car look much more upscale, and at $50K or more that should be the impression. (Probably matters a lot less with black exterior.)

View attachment 325687

View attachment 325688
Black exterior, or a dark grey for me works. If they have the black rims (like some videos said Canada will have), also for me makes the cladding easier to swallow.

i'd go further if I could, dark grey, leave the black cladding, black rims and a black roof. I do like that look.

Re: Black wheels

I find gloss black wheels to not be ideal on the cars with gloss black trim. The reason is that it really highlights dirty tires. You really need to clean and dress them more often or they'll stand out in a bad way.

I see this as an apples and oranges comparison. Mazda is absolutely NOT trying to target Honda and Toyota buyers with the CX70 or CX90 - and the prices reflect that. They are trying to pull buyers away from BMW, Mercedes, Audi, and Lexus, plus tweeners like Acura and Infiniti. Or stated another way, they hope these vehicles elevate them to that level.

You can't target that audience and then give the vehicles cheap plastic cladding like a RAV4 or Subaru.
To be fair, a GLS has the same black cladding unless you opt for an exterior package as we did for our MY23 GLS (Night Package). Everybody does it, including luxury makes!

Mazda seems to be all over the place regarding the cladding. Back in 2022 they introduced the CX-5 body color on the top Signature trim and left the other models with black (matte or shiny)
Then in 2024 they spread the same color trim throughout the CX-5 lineup, undermining the upscale aspect of the top models, keeping black on special turbo models.
Is there any logic to this?

Mazda seems to be all over the place regarding the cladding. Back in 2022 they introduced the CX-5 body color on the top Signature trim and left the other models with black (matte or shiny)
Then in 2024 they spread the same color trim throughout the CX-5 lineup, undermining the upscale aspect of the top models, keeping black on special turbo models.
Is there any logic to this?
Whoa, you're right. I did not notice that before.

First, there is a difference between matte black textured plastic stuff like the CX-50 and Black painted metal or smooth gloss quality plastic trim.

I find it hilarious that on BMWs people pay a s*** load extra to get black out trim, though it is higher quality. But they also pay higher for body colored pieces over standard dark grey pieces.

I'm lucky because while I don't want my vehicles to look stupid or hideous and if they appeal to me the better, It really isn't my problem because I sit on the inside. If it doesn't make it handle better, go faster, stop quicker, make it more comfortable, safe or convenient or execute it's intended function better, eh!

I could handle black trim on the CX-70, I can't slough off 10-12" too many inches of vehicle that is attached and 300-500lbs of extra weight.

If I had to trade my ev6 gt, it would be for an X3M Comp. The B and S 58 engines are total monsters. I was hoping the CX70 would be similar to an X3M40i. The transmission is a disaster, and it seems the car is just a cx90 with the rear seat removed. All around terrible product.

I'm guessing that the redesigned CX-9's sales performance, coupled with the slow start of the CX-90's sales gave someone in Mazda corporate cold feet.

The CX-9 never sold all that well. When the second generation was released, I read an article where Dave Coleman was quoted as saying they had a goal of 50,000 a year. It never got close. It averaged around 30,000 units a year in the US (for comparison, the CX-5 sells 5 times the CX-9). Last year, the combined sales of the CX-9 and CX-90 were about 36,000. The CX-90 by itself moved 29,000. Although the CX-90 had a couple strong months at the end of the year, in January it's sales dropped back to historical CX-9 levels.

The decision to release the CX-70 as a CX-90 minus 2 seats sure looks like a cost cutting move to me. Mazda is avoiding the cost of Federalizing a new platform in a market they've never been able to figure out. Perhaps the two models will allow them to hit the 50k goal they've never been able to crack. Outside of Mazda enthusiasts, nobody else is going to be aware of the "bait and switch" so they may welcome a 2 row crossover with some extra space.

Last edited:
I'm not in the market for a CX-70 or one of its competitors but just expressing my thoughts about the cargo area; kudos for the motorized seat backs and underfloor storage. But my CX-5 has 40/20/40 rear seat backs and carpeted side cargo panels so it looks very upscale like German vehicles for example. I think the CX-70 should be the same. I've had carpeted side cargo panels in my 1999 Lexus RX300 which is expected in this class but also in my 2004.5 Passat Wagon, 2014 Murano and 2017.5 Murano which are non luxury mainstream brands. The plastic side cargo panels are generally found in econobox hatchbacks, minivans and ordinary SUV/CUV and they get scratched easily. Just my 2¢ ;) Makes me think the next gen CX-5 may go that route like the CX-50 did if it ever makes it in North America :unsure: The devil is in the details as they say :devilish:

I'm guessing that the redesigned CX-9's sales performance, coupled with the slow start of the CX-90's sales gave someone in Mazda corporate cold feet.

The CX-9 never sold all that well. When the second generation was released, I read an article where Dave Coleman was quoted as saying they had a goal of 50,000 a year. It never got close. It averaged around 30,000 units a year in the US (for comparison, the CX-5 sells 5 times the CX-9). Last year, the combined sales of the CX-9 and CX-90 were about 36,000. The CX-90 by itself moved 29,000. Although the CX-90 had a couple strong months at the end of the year, in January it's sales dropped back to historical CX-9 levels.

The decision to release the CX-70 as a CX-90 minus 2 seats sure looks like a cost cutting move to me. Mazda is avoiding the cost of Federalizing a new platform in a market they've never been able to figure out. Perhaps the two models will allow them to hit the 50k goal they've never been able to crack. Outside of Mazda enthusiasts, nobody else is going to be aware of the "bait and switch" so they may welcome a 2 row crossover with some extra space.
CX-90 is selling fine. It is sa full size in an economy brand where buyers are price conscious. Normalized over 12 months it would be about 50,000 units. That is CX-50 territory. CRV well outsells Pilot. RAV4 outsells grand highlander. I'd be willing to bet similar in Hyundai, Nissan and most other budget lines.

I got the hint something was amiss when Mazda said they expected the CX-70 to sell about 25% as well as the CX-90. Had it been a midsize it would outsell the CX-90. Which either leaves me to think they are stupid or they just weren't able to accommodate the production of 4 "large platform" models in the timeframe they set. In a sane world, there would be a midsize in 2 or 3 years. But we are discussing Mazda, and they never do the smart thing in the U.S. market.

What do you mean by side cargo panels?
I had to look up images myself, it seems to be the same carpeted layer but on the sides of rear cargo area. Having never had that, today I learned it's a thing!

I see this as an apples and oranges comparison. Mazda is absolutely NOT trying to target Honda and Toyota buyers with the CX70 or CX90 - and the prices reflect that. They are trying to pull buyers away from BMW, Mercedes, Audi, and Lexus, plus tweeners like Acura and Infiniti. Or stated another way, they hope these vehicles elevate them to that level.

You can't target that audience and then give the vehicles cheap plastic cladding like a RAV4 or Subaru.
The $70K BMW X5 (2024 and 2023 side by side) come standard that way. You have to get the $2,700 M Sport Shadowline package to get those as body color.

1707136437792.png

CX-90 is selling fine. It is sa full size in an economy brand where buyers are price conscious. Normalized over 12 months it would be about 50,000 units. That is CX-50 territory. CRV well outsells Pilot. RAV4 outsells grand highlander. I'd be willing to bet similar in Hyundai, Nissan and most other budget lines.

I got the hint something was amiss when Mazda said they expected the CX-70 to sell about 25% as well as the CX-90. Had it been a midsize it would outsell the CX-90. Which either leaves me to think they are stupid or they just weren't able to accommodate the production of 4 "large platform" models in the timeframe they set. In a sane world, there would be a midsize in 2 or 3 years. But we are discussing Mazda, and they never do the smart thing in the U.S. market.
I can definitely see that 25% being taken away from CX90 sales as well. In other words, CX70 sales cannibalizing CX90 sales (no net gain of total sales)!

Comments here and Car and Driver, etc. indicate that the CX70 being the exact same size as the CX90 is an issue for many would-be buyers, while others may be fine with a long-ish 5-seat mid-size SUV - and I might even be one of those people although I would have preferred something around 187-190 inches.

There had been messaging previously that the CX70 would be the North America version of the CX60 - basically the same length but a bit wider. But that messaging started to change about 6 months ago.

Honest question here: How difficult would it be for Mazda to just bring the CX60 to the US and Canada as is - except obviously putting the driver on the other side, but not changing anything else? Isn't that what BMW, Mercedes and Audi do with their SUVs?

They would probably have to spring for US crash testing and other things, and introducing yet another fairly short crossover, only slightly larger than the CX-5/50 just wouldn't make sense IMO, especially since the 50 is a recent introduction.

If they were going to pay the $ for new approvals, doing a "real" midsize mid-190s length would be a vehicle in a size category where there's an obvious gap in the US lineup.

Take the 90, clip the wheelbase (and overall length) 5" or so, so the rear wheels slide forward near the 2nd row seats (similar to some of the other mid-190s SUVs). Second row seats would stay in the same location, retain the headroom/legroom/... - basically just lose around 6 - 7 cubic feet of cargo capacity (which would still be respectable).

Other than the model size conflict, it should be easy. All the same powertrain and interior parts are already in the Cx-90. Except for the more powerful variant I think. And all of Europe already drive on the same side as the US, so no issues there.

Back