2011+ Mazda5 OEM HID/xenon swap?

:
BMW M3 / Mazda5
Credit to @Silentnoise713 for prompting this idea, which in retrospect I feel a bit silly for not having considered until now.

Has anyone here done a Mazda OE HID/xenon swap on a 2011+ gen Mazda5 Sport? Talking about swapping the factory HIDs from a GT into a Sport. Trying to get an idea of what's involved. Different connectors at a minimum, yeah? Seen that people have done this with earlier Mazda5s; not sure what's different with this one aside from the housings themselves.

Am I correct that my halogen-equipped 2012 Sport did NOT come with a self-leveling function for the headlights, and therefore I'd need to install/wire all that stuff up if I wanted that functionality?

Last edited:

Cautionary tail: back in the early 2000s, my first experience with HID was driving a friend's S2K, which at the time came with a fixed level setting. Driving in back roads with moderate speed through rolling hills, it felt like the cutoff line was an upcoming abyss. Yes it was bright but scary as s***. You can aim your lights higher but cars in front and incoming traffic will hate/honk at you (rightfully so).

Mz5 is not fancy enough to come equip with 'self' leveling, only manual leveling (toggle switch) -still better than fix setting as you would get with any aftermarket drop-in! Halogen bulb housing do not have piezo motor attached for adjustment. I recall someone here in the past swapped in OEM HIDs with manual leveling switch and all but can't recall - search?

Cautionary tail: back in the early 2000s, my first experience with HID was driving a friend's S2K, which at the time came with a fixed level setting. Driving in back roads with moderate speed through rolling hills, it felt like the cutoff line was an upcoming abyss. Yes it was bright but scary as s***. You can aim your lights higher but cars in front and incoming traffic will hate/honk at you (rightfully so).

Mz5 is not fancy enough to come equip with 'self' leveling, only manual leveling (toggle switch) -still better than fix setting as you would get with any aftermarket drop-in! Halogen bulb housing do not have piezo motor attached for adjustment. I recall someone here in the past swapped in OEM HIDs with manual leveling switch and all but can't recall - search?
Thanks.

Edited my post to clarify that the OEM HID swap is what I'm interested in.

Had seen references to a "switch" elsewhere. Didn't realize it was for manual leveling.

Guess I'll stick with the stock halogen headlights, then!

Back