CX-70 debut information, pictures, discussion

The back story on this is going to be fascinating if it ever comes out. I'm going with the product development department blew all the money on hookers and figured nobody would notice if they rebadged a CX-90 and ripped out the back seat.

Among other things that piss me off is Mazda trying to pawn it off as a midsize! That dog don't hunt.

And is the CX-80 going to be the same size as the CX-60 or is just NA that gets the shaft
I think its something like that, but probably related to capital costs and tooling for another model line with a bunch of unique parts. Here they get to re-use the manufacturing tooling from the CX-90.

Perhaps something similar could be achieved if they made it like the CX-60, but that tooling is not in North America :(

Just NA getting the shaft. CX-80 spy shots show a distinct vehicle.
Oh I knew the 80 was not going to be 186" long. Which is actually why I believe in Mazda's little pea sized brain they may actually believe having 2 fullsize SUVs is a good idea. They never have been able to figure out the U.S. Market.

First of all, great thread call @sm1ke! (y)

I really like the CX-90 design, especially that frontend (and those headlights) so no surprise here I’m diggin’ this new CX-70…Big fan of the darker trim. :love:

Great commentary from everyone, totally understand the disappointment over the lack of distinctive elements. That said, do we have confirmed dimensions yet?

Also this lack of major distinction between models could actually turn out to be a non issue for most buyers. Many may see it simply as similar to the CX-90 but with elements they prefer…We’ll have to wait and see…

I can see owners of CX-90 getting the hatch spoiler of CX-70, which makes the rear looks much better, IMHO.

200" SUV is just too big to stuff into many garages while still have walking space around it and be able to open the trunk! I happen to be able to fit a Pacifica rental in mine but man there was very little wiggle room left. I wouldn't want to live with one having to carefully place it into garage every day. My Etron is 194" or so and it's just big enough to have just over 6" give or take when I park it so I don't have to be EXACT.

I would have really considered a CX70 to replace my CX5 if they scaled it like the Honda Pilot/Passport (200"/189").
Yes, a differentiation to capture more of the market. What a concept! Seems to have eluded Mazda.

Thing is, let's say we forget the CX90 exists. They just came out in that case with a 200 inch long 5 seater suv, the thing no one was asking for .

190 would be the sweet spot, anything over mid 190s is just silly, even if it was the lone offering from the brand in the class. 200"???

I love the thought of someone looking at a CX90 and saying well, I wanted 5 seats but folding these down once on the day I pick up is too much. That's the customer Mazda is chasing here?!

Or turn it around. Who buys the 70 and gives up the occasional versatility of 7 seats?

Big miss. Blame whatever dept you want, big miss.

This saves me a boat load of money, because I'll just keep my CX50T :p
I hear this.

I know I won't get much traction on a Mazda forum with this opinion, but I won't be regretting my decision a yr ago to get a Blazer. 191 inches long, 308 HP from a naturally aspirated V6, and torque vectoring. Heck, I'll gladly take my chances on Chevy reliability vs this new Mazda design with refinement quirks, if the trade off is a more right for me size

I had hopes here. We need something a bit more manageable to commute into the city core in. It's too bad.

Also this lack of major distinction between models could actually turn out to be a non issue for most buyers. Many may see it simply as similar to the CX-90 but with elements they prefer…We’ll have to wait and see…
Mazda already thinks it is going to be a major issue and expects the 70 to sell at 25% the clip of the CX-90. Guess which model is BMW's best selling SUV?
MazdaCockup.png

Maybe they know they dropped the bowling ball on this one by calling it a CX70 instead of a different CX90 trim.

They could probably save money by not having to crash test a CX90 trim vs certifying a new CX70?
Prob could save money by removing the third row cupholders...is it me or in the videos, they left those in? So the luggage has a place for their coffee?:p

I'll wait to see one in person before deciding if I'm disappointed. There's a lot that I like about this model even though I wanted it to be 8-12" shorter than the CX90.

Sad trumpet sound....
So, here I am, waiting, thinking, ok, it will be just a EU CX-60 rebadged, Nope. I mean, ok, I wanted MORE room than the current CX-5 I have, but also more HP/Torque. Like others, I have a garage and our CX-5 fits with room to open the rear and unload with garagedoor closed. But we don't want a CX-90. WE wanted a CX-60 with 6cyl or the hybrid. Guess we'll keep the CX-5 or ponder a Volvo XC60 or BMW X5....

Not much I can say as y'all covered my thoughts and disappointments already. So, thank you. :)

Ha!, that is exactly what I wanted, but never even hoped for )) I never need those extra seats but smaller SUVs are usually too small. Very strange though, given Mazda have the CX-60.

Back