Mazda Canada OEM Liners vs All Weather Mats for slushy snowy salty areas?

I know there are a lot of discussions about floor mats but I feel like I'm bad at finding the ones where people specifically discuss how they go when they live in a snowy slushy salty area (ie eastern canada :) ). Since I'm in Canada I can buy the Canada OEM mats but when I was discussing it with the salesperson at the dealer, she commented that in her opinion the all weather mats (the cheaper ones) are much better than the premium liners when it comes to snow and melted snow, she commented that the all weather mats contain water better, are easier to clean, and the premium liners become slippery when they're wet from melted snow.

So has anyone used the canada oem premium liners in an area with a lot of snow and salt? how did you find they held up? I do think that the base of the all weather mats looks nice and functional but it's a shame they don't cover the dead pedal at all.

I think the only other ones that are of interest are the tuxmats, would they be any better?

I've been using the 3D MAXpider winter floor mats for the last 6 years. They have been great.
Fit was perfect for both my cars. They have the raised sides and dead pedal coverage....and they are cheaper than Weather Tech. I got them via Amazon.
The OEM rubber floor mats don't have raised sides or dead pedal coverage btw.

That's awesome, you don't find them hard to clean or slippery when wet from snow melt? The additional coverage on them seems great.
I've been using the 3D MAXpider winter floor mats for the last 6 years. They have been great.
Fit was perfect for both my cars. They have the raised sides and dead pedal coverage....and they are cheaper than Weather Tech. I got them via Amazon.
The OEM rubber floor mats don't have raised sides or dead pedal coverage btw.

I know there are a lot of discussions about floor mats but I feel like I'm bad at finding the ones where people specifically discuss how they go when they live in a snowy slushy salty area (ie eastern canada :) ). Since I'm in Canada I can buy the Canada OEM mats but when I was discussing it with the salesperson at the dealer, she commented that in her opinion the all weather mats (the cheaper ones) are much better than the premium liners when it comes to snow and melted snow, she commented that the all weather mats contain water better, are easier to clean, and the premium liners become slippery when they're wet from melted snow.

So has anyone used the canada oem premium liners in an area with a lot of snow and salt? how did you find they held up? I do think that the base of the all weather mats looks nice and functional but it's a shame they don't cover the dead pedal at all.

I think the only other ones that are of interest are the tuxmats, would they be any better?
I have TuxMats and they have high walls that will hold the slush in like a bathtub. They also fit exactly to your car model. Costco carries them under the name "Phantom".

I am running WeatherTech floor liners. In the past, I used all weather mats in all my cars, but in snowy/muddy/salty situations something would always find its way onto the carpet. With these weather tech floor liners I don’t have that issue anymore. Easy to clean and they have the built in poppers to attach to where the OEM mats attach to the carpet.

The wife has WT mats in her CX-30 and I have Tuxmats in my CX-5. The WT mats aren't bad but the Tuxmats have better coverage and the clips make the sides stay up so you get no leakage. I had the Mazda mats previously and they didn't cover the foot rest so it would turn into a salty mess that was impossible to keep clean.

The only problem with the Tuxmats is they seem to be out of stock a lot of the time. I had to wait a week before I could order mine and I've heard the same on Reddit. They have a system so they'll email you when they come back in stock.

Like Buzzman12 also have the 3D MAXpider winter floor mats. They have been in the CX5 for 5 years. After 5 years there is some minor wear but, that is something to be expected after being used for this period of time. I highly recommend them. They have bettter coverage than the WeatherTech mats.

The tuxmats do also look like a great solution as well. i was initially concerned they look a little fiddly with all the clips, but I just watched a video on their website and it looks fine actually.

they didn't cover the foot rest so it would turn into a salty mess that was impossible to keep clean.

Sounds like what im trying to avoid. I haven't lived in this salty area for a long time but I noticed the salt seems to track everywhere, on snowy days the floors at my office are coated in white footprints.

I think I'm pretty sold on getting some mats with foot rest coverage then! I'll rule out the oem all weather mats then, either the oem premium liners (or the cheaper version the 3d maxpider) or the tuxmats.

I've had the OEM Premium liners installed since the day I got the car in January 2018. If you do an annual cleaning of the mats once a year to clean off the salt residue build up, they'll last forever. In my case, there was a bit of wear in the driver's side mat where I rest the heel of my right foot, but this is just due to the way I drive. I screwed in a foot plate to cover the wear area.

The comment that the salesperson made about the mats being slippery when wet is sort of true. Because the mat doesn't have any deep ridges, your shoes don't have much to "grab" besides the textured finish. Occasionally my foot would slip when I would push myself up in my seat to adjust my sitting position or to pull my wallet out of my back pocket. But that is largely because my shoes and the mat were wet, and because I was pushing away from the seat instead of straight down into the mat. Kind of hard to explain, lol.

I would absolutely buy them again. The only other mats I would consider are the Tuxmats, but I'm not sure about their durability.

EDIT: I should also note that I wear Chuck Taylor All Stars year-round, so I don't have great grip to begin with.

Last edited:
The tuxmats do also look like a great solution as well. i was initially concerned they look a little fiddly with all the clips, but I just watched a video on their website and it looks fine actually.
Just installed Tuxmats in my Volvo. Beyond impressed. They look like they were installed at the factory. I really like carpet in my cars so I only run weather mats in winter but these are so nice for the first time in my life...I may keep them year round.

I have owned both the 3D MAXpiders and currently the Mazda (Canadian) OEM all weather mats. I love the look of the OEM mats with the CX-5 badge, and the fact that they go up the sides to help contain water/snow, and, completely cover the dead pedal.

The OEM's are constructed of the same material as the 3D MAXpiders (just a different top design), both by UGUARD Automotive, Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada. You can order the MAXpiders through them. Here in Canada we can also get the MAXpiders through COSTCO online, Canadian Tire and PartsEngine.ca (where I got my first 3D MAXpiders).

In winter, here in the snowy Atlantic Canada, I take my CX-5 at least once a month, to a self wash car wash where I can give them a good scrub to get all the winter salt and grime off, before washing the vehicle as well, of course.

Comparing the mazda oem liners/maxpider vs the tuxmats - I can see that the tuxmats clearly have more coverage around the wall of the right side of the pedals, and also underneath the front of seats, however am I right in noticing that there's not really a raised lip around the cutout around the gas pedal? It looks like it's just flat cut, is there any way that moisture/water is held in the mat around that area, or is it free to run off?

1705032432950.png
1705032452340.png

(#2 being the tuxmats - is the edge of that cutout actually raised but i just can't see it in the photo? it looks clearly raised in the other mat but it's from a different angle.) hard to tell without seeing them in person. thanks to any tuxmat owners who can advise!

In my experience with the OEM premium liners, even with the raised lip, you'll get some water/snow slush that runs off of the pedal and onto the carpet. Same would go for the Tuxmat design it seems, but having that extra coverage that runs beside the pedal will definitely be beneficial as it prevents snow/mud from building up in that area.

Comparing the mazda oem liners/maxpider vs the tuxmats - I can see that the tuxmats clearly have more coverage around the wall of the right side of the pedals, and also underneath the front of seats, however am I right in noticing that there's not really a raised lip around the cutout around the gas pedal? It looks like it's just flat cut, is there any way that moisture/water is held in the mat around that area, or is it free to run off?

View attachment 325131 View attachment 325132
(#2 being the tuxmats - is the edge of that cutout actually raised but i just can't see it in the photo? it looks clearly raised in the other mat but it's from a different angle.) hard to tell without seeing them in person. thanks to any tuxmat owners who can advise!
Sorry, a family member drove the CX5 to work, I can't look at our TuxMats mat.

View attachment 325131 View attachment 325132
I recently got a set of Tuxmats for new CX5, really like them overall but there is a problem that I want to point out. The part of the mat that extends along the hump to the right side of the accelerator pedal restricts the already cramped space between the edge of the brake pedal and the hump. The restriction is enough to cause my shoe to contact the edge of the brake pedal when I move my foot from brake to accelerator. It's pretty annoying. I think this is a design issue with the car, there just isn't enough room between brake pedal and accelerator. I don't have big feet, size 10 normal width. If I were wearing boots it would make the problem even worse. I wish the brake pedal could be adjusted to provide more room.

Can't picture what you mean. To the right of the gas pedal by the hump...how does this impact the brake?

Picture says 1,000 words. Got it right away when I saw that.
So you taking them out?

Back