What did you pay for your CX-5?

In January 2022, the Mazda dealer in Fontana, CA sold me a 2022 CX-5 for $40,520 before taxes. The MSRP was $33,535 which included factory options. The sales manager offered a $37,000 walk-out price, including all dealer add-ons. However, the finance manager deceptively tacked on another $3,520 to the final price without mentioning a word. The dishonest FM rushed through the contract signing on a tiny iPad and never sent me the sales agreement until I demanded a copy 2 weeks later. That’s when I realized the out-the-door price was not the $37,000 which the sales manager quoted. It appears other customers had also been duped in a similar way based on their complaints posted on Yelp and in the BBB website.

I'm sorry for your trouble but this is ALL on you 100%. I don't see how it's possible to add on over $3.5k and you not be aware of it. Even if you didn't want to read through all the paperwork you certainly should have read the last line where the total is listed. How could you not at least see the bottom line before signing?

I don't want to pour salt into the wound, so I'll just say that buyers need to remember that you are in control of the sale at all times. If at any time you're feeling pressured, or rushed, or anything like that, ask them to slow down, to clarify, or just tell them you need some air or some time to think about the info you just got. And don't be afraid to tell them that you feel like they're trying to rush you. They need your sale, and they know that you can walk and take your money elsewhere if you wanted to.

Since its already happened, and since the $37k offer was likely only verbal, the only thing you can do at this point is post some reviews online describing their shady practice.. but again, remember that you won't have any evidence to offer to prove your claim.

I don't want to pour salt into the wound, so I'll just say that buyers need to remember that you are in control of the sale at all times. If at any time you're feeling pressured, or rushed, or anything like that, ask them to slow down, to clarify, or just tell them you need some air or some time to think about the info you just got. And don't be afraid to tell them that you feel like they're trying to rush you. They need your sale, and they know that you can walk and take your money elsewhere if you wanted to.

Since its already happened, and since the $37k offer was likely only verbal, the only thing you can do at this point is post some reviews online describing their shady practice.. but again, remember that you won't have any evidence to offer to prove your claim.

I agree 100%. The salesperson, and the dealership employees, are there FOR YOU, not the other way around.

The pressure and the fast pace are sales techniques that some dealerships employ. Another technique that goes along with the pressure is, this price is good for today only and if you walk away, there goes your great price too. If you're ever faced with this, tell the salesperson you know what they are doing, and it won't work on you. If they continue along this line, walk out the door. I'll bet that the salesperson changes tunes very quickly.

I agree 100%. The salesperson, and the dealership employees, are there FOR YOU, not the other way around.

The pressure and the fast pace are sales techniques that some dealerships employ. Another technique that goes along with the pressure is, this price is good for today only and if you walk away, there goes your great price too. If you're ever faced with this, tell the salesperson you know what they are doing, and it won't work on you. If they continue along this line, walk out the door. I'll bet that the salesperson changes tunes very quickly.
I have walked out on many occasions only to get a call with a better deal. The only exceptions were on brand new models that were in very high demand.

Right at $40k US OTD as of yesterday for a '24 Carbon turbo edition in Zircon Sand. All weather cargo liner and mats, and wheel locks àdded. I had to travel 70 miles to visit my nearest Mazda dealer, but the drive home was well worth it. Fantastic car!

Right at $40k US OTD as of yesterday for a '24 Carbon turbo edition in Zircon Sand. All weather cargo liner and mats, and wheel locks àdded. I had to travel 70 miles to visit my nearest Mazda dealer, but the drive home was well worth it. Fantastic car!

Glad you like your new car!

I'd get rid of the wheel locks asap. They're nothing but a pain and if someone wants your wheels, the locks won't stop them. All a wheel thief has to do is hammer a socket onto the lock and away goes your locked wheels.

Yeah, I dont much care for wheel locks either. I've had other cars came with them, and they are definitely a PITA. I wouldn't have opted for them, but they were already on there. I'll be taking the locks off the first time I rotate the tires.

Picked up a 2024 CX-5 S Premium, Roof rack, all weather matts, cargo cover, black lug nuts with wheel locks ( I'll never use locks or lug nuts) MSRP $36,345 paid $34,000 before taxes and title.

Just picked up a 2024 Turbo Carbon in Rhidium White Metallic with Terracotta Black Interior.

Mazda MSRP 40,270. Dealer wanted to add another 2K for dent repair, wheel repair, full tank of gas, windshield repair. So total was 42,270.

We removed the 2k dealer extras, and final negotiated price was $39,220 plus tax/tags.

Got 18K for our 2018 CX5

Financed the balance with their 0% holiday offer for 60 months.

Sure miss the days when we paid invoice!

$43,619 MSRP / $716 in fees

$38,865 0% 60 months no down payment on a 24 Turbo Premium. It was a long Friday. Started with the dealer at 1 and was driving home a bit after 7. The dealership was very busy so most of it was waiting.

The difference was a trade in of a 2014 Mazda CX-5 with 130K. I didn’t want the hassle of selling my old CX-5 so I took a loss on it. Probably the worst I’ve done on buying a new car, but I’m really happy with this 24 and trim level.

In January 2022, the Mazda dealer in Fontana, CA sold me a 2022 CX-5 for $40,520 before taxes. The MSRP was $33,535 which included factory options. The sales manager offered a $37,000 walk-out price, including all dealer add-ons. However, the finance manager deceptively tacked on another $3,520 to the final price without mentioning a word. The dishonest FM rushed through the contract signing on a tiny iPad and never sent me the sales agreement until I demanded a copy 2 weeks later. That’s when I realized the out-the-door price was not the $37,000 which the sales manager quoted. It appears other customers had also been duped in a similar way based on their complaints posted on Yelp and in the BBB website.
Do you think that the extra $3,500 you saw was the extra cost for the car after adding in the cost of the loan interest paid over the payment period?

Just picked up a 2024 Turbo Carbon in Rhidium White Metallic with Terracotta Black Interior.

Mazda MSRP 40,270. Dealer wanted to add another 2K for dent repair, wheel repair, full tank of gas, windshield repair. So total was 42,270.

We removed the 2k dealer extras, and final negotiated price was $39,220 plus tax/tags.

Got 18K for our 2018 CX5

Financed the balance with their 0% holiday offer for 60 months.

Sure miss the days when we paid invoice!

The salesperson actually mentioned a full tank of gas as being 'included' in their 'special' package?

You had the package 'removed', did that include the full tank of fuel?

Lmfao a full tank of gas is included by the manufacturer. Such scumbag dealers. Enough is enough

And you got that idea where?!

Every single new vehicle that I've purchased in my life has had the tank filled with fuel. The salesperson made it a point to make sure that I knew this.

That's not been your experience?

Every single new vehicle that I've purchased in my life has had the tank filled with fuel. The salesperson made it a point to make sure that I knew this.

That's not been your experience?
I would say yes, in the past 20 years or so. Prior to that, not so much. I always assumed it's just become an established dealer courtesy.

2021 Grand Touring w/GT Premium Package, Snowflake White Pearl and Parchment Interior, 20107 miles. Purchased 12/30/2023 for $26,800 US.
Love it.

We purchased a Certified 2023 CX-5 in the Signature trim with roof racks and 2,190 miles on new years eve. So we have a 7 year 100,000 mile power train warranty. Paid $35,995 plus registration, title and sales tax.

Back