Poll 2.5T Coolant Leak/Engine Replacement

Who is having coolant leak issues and have had their engines replaced?

• Yes

Votes: 48 40.3%
  • No

Votes: 71 59.7%

• Total voters
Update on my situation. After six weeks or so, the dealer finally got the parts needed to replace the cylinder head. However, as they were bringing it into the shop they said it was making "odd" noises.

They drained the oil and found metal bits from a shot bearing in the engine. So now they will be replacing the engine instead of just the head, all under warranty. They don't have an ETA on when the new engine will be shipped. I have a loaner CX-5 in the meantime.

While this will take much longer, I think I'm glad to get the new engine instead of trying to replace only the cylinder head. I was dreading long term issues with just trying to fix it and feel better having the new engine.

The dealer said my new engine will be ready for me to pick up next week. Any questions I should ask them about their work and the new engine in general before I pick it up?

Check your VIN#.
1645063215807.png

So is Mazda saying cars produced after this date will not have this issue?
Correct, the issue was corrected. However there was then a new valve stem seal modification that "may" be causing a new problem of oil entering the combustion chamber on newer engine builds according to Mazda. They issued a tsb for that up until a certain Vin number. That tsb is preliminary to another tsb they will release when they confirm diagnosis of fault and will give repair info at that time. At least with that issue, it can be fixed without difficulty. The coolant leak/head crack is much worse and can cause engine failure as coolant can mix with the oil due to the cracked head.

Correct, the issue was corrected. However there was then a new valve stem seal modification that "may" be causing a new problem of oil entering the combustion chamber on newer engine builds according to Mazda. They issued a tsb for that up until a certain Vin number. That tsb is preliminary to another tsb they will release when they confirm diagnosis of fault and will give repair info at that time. At least with that issue, it can be fixed without difficulty. The coolant leak/head crack is much worse and can cause engine failure as coolant can mix with the oil due to the cracked head.
I think this engine would be fun to own, but my bias against turbos and all the issues would keep me from getting it. I like cars that go 200k+, I don't know if turbo engines have that longevity.

I think this engine would be fun to own, but my bias against turbos and all the issues would keep me from getting it. I like cars that go 200k+, I don't know if turbo engines have that longevity.
I hate to break it to you but only 3 brands will ever see that kind of mileage today and are the top 3 in reliability. Toyota, Honda and Mazda. Sad to say you have to pick your poison if you go with any other brand, they're all garbage long term. No joke. Personally, I'd take a made in Japan Mazda over the others any day. They are historically the best built vehicles in the world. It is true that turbo engines have a somewhat shorter life, but if you maintain them by changing the oil no more than every 5k miles with full synthetic, (turbos love and need clean oil)and keep all other fluids maintained early, you'll be in good shape.

I hate to break it to you but only 3 brands will ever see that kind of mileage today and are the top 3 in reliability. Toyota, Honda and Mazda. Sad to say you have to pick your poison if you go with any other brand, they're all garbage long term. No joke. Personally, I'd take a made in Japan Mazda over the others any day. They are historically the best built vehicles in the world. It is true that turbo engines have a somewhat shorter life, but if you maintain them by changing the oil no more than every 5k miles with full synthetic, (turbos love and need clean oil)and keep all other fluids maintained early, you'll be in good shape.
all my cars have been hondas and all have gone over 200k. current civic is at 240k trouble free. current accord is at 111k. next car will not be honda since i don't want a turbo. likely Toyota or Mazda non turbo. few Mazdas are actually built n Japan anymore. CX30 is in Mexico. CX5 and 50 are in US.

all my cars have been hondas and all have gone over 200k. current civic is at 240k trouble free. current accord is at 111k. next car will not be honda since i don't want a turbo. likely Toyota or Mazda non turbo. Very few Mazdas are actually built n Japan anymore. CX30 is in Mexico. CX5 and 50 are in US.
]
Smart! The Cx-5 an Cx-9 are built in Japan FYI. The new CX-50 is built here in the joint U.S. Toyota plant. Personally, there is nothing that beats driving a turbo'd Mazda out of Toyota or Honda

Last edited:

I think a lot of modern vehicles would not have the easiest time getting there, but the odds are probably much higher than you might be expecting, as long as the car is well taken care of. There is one 2016 CX-9 owner here who got his car to 200k+ before the coolant leak issue appeared. No issues with the transmission or any other major components, and apparently the interior held up very well too (aside from the steering wheel).

My wife's 2020 CX-9 GT is in the TSB range, so it is at risk for this problem. It is at 31k miles. We have had no symptoms. I just went to look at the coolant tank and the level is just 1/4 inch above the low level line. Now I'm concerned.

Unfortunately, I just had the oil changed by an independant shop last week, as it also needed a NYS inspection. I would have done the oil myself if I had been aware of this issue so that I could have inspected the condition of the oil. No way to know if the garage worker would have paid attention to such a thing. He did not notice the low coolant level.

Should I take the car to the dealer just to have the coolant replenished so that they can document the usage if it continues to drop? (Otherwise I could just add coolant myself.)

Edit: that coolant level was with the engine cold, 40F outside temp.

Last edited:
My wife's 2020 CX-9 GT is in the TSB range, so it is at risk for this problem. It is at 31k miles. We have had no symptoms. I just went to look at the coolant tank and the level is just 1/4 inch above the low level line. Now I'm concerned.

Unfortunately, I just had the oil changed by an independant shop last week, as it also needed a NYS inspection. I would have done the oil myself if I had been aware of this issue so that I could have inspected the condition of the oil. No way to know if the garage worker would have paid attention to such a thing. He did not notice the low coolant level.

Should I take the car to the dealer just to have the coolant replenished so that they can document the usage if it continues to drop? (Otherwise I could just add coolant myself.)

Edit: that coolant level was with the engine cold, 40F outside temp.

You don't have to take it to them, but you can call them to inquire about the issue. Ask them to make a note on your account (if you have one with them), and try to get a picture of the low coolant level. Note the date in your own records.

They will likely advise you to top up the coolant and monitor until your next oil change, and ask you if you've ever noticed green residue under the car or a sweet smell.

Yep, I know the VIN won't change. I'm trying to figure out how I determine the build date of the new engine. Is it stamped on there somewhere?

Engine should have a serial number somewhere, but no idea if there would be any indication of build date on it. You can ask the dealer if they know what the build date of the engine is, referencing the TSB that only affects VINs up to a certain build date. But generally, if you're getting a brand new engine, you can bet it'll have a build date later than June 9, 2020. Most likely it will be mid-late 2021, but dealer might have more info.

. . . It is true that turbo engines have a somewhat shorter life, but if you maintain them by changing the oil no more often than every 5k miles with full synthetic, (turbos love and need clean oil)and keep all other fluids maintained early, you'll be in good shape.

Really?
So, all these folks who had cracked head or head gasket blown didn't take care of their 2.5T well enough to develop their issues?

My CX-5 2.5T is within the effected range, if I do frequent oil and filter changes (with full synthetic) than the manual states, will I be OK? I'm asking because I don't drive much, by the time I reach the end of 5yr/60,000mile powertrain warranty, I'll be at around 40,000 miles, worried.

Last edited:
Really?
So, all these folks who had cracked head or head gasket blown didn't take care of their 2.5T well enough to develop their issues?
No, mine was was always maintained and had the head cracked. This particular issue has nothing to do with lack of proper maintenance. It's a design flaw.

Where do you find the build date of the engine?
this was from Mada's TSB, need to go by your VIN#

APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS US Spec.:
2019-2020 CX-5 SKYACTIV-G 2.5T vehicles with VINs lower than JM3KF******830243 (produced before Jun. 9, 2020)
2016-2020 CX-9 SKYACTIV-G 2.5T vehicles with VINs lower than JM3TC******422801 (produced before Jun. 9, 2020)
2018-2020 Mazda6 SKYACTIV-G 2.5T vehicles with VINs lower than JM1GL******523967 (produced before Mar. 25, 2020)
Mexico Spec.: 2019-2020 Mazda6 SKYACTIV-G 2.5T vehicles with VINs lower than JM1GL******523672 (produced before Mar. 21, 2020) DESCRIPTIO

Back