I got my new ms3

sanantonio

:
13 Mazdaspeed3
Finally i decided to trade-in my wife's old 2003 speed protege and i got brand new 2013 mazdaspeed 3 with Tech package. I dont know anything about modifications or tuning but i want something fast :D
I still can spend around $500-$1500. So my question is can i get more power/hp with this money? Or what are you guys suggest? Thank you.

Yeah I'd look at a motor mount. For that price, I wouldn't try and get more horse power out of it. You might squeeze a few, but you probably would be happier with some suspension mods. The shocks on these things seem to go relatively easily. Get yourself some Koni Yellow shocks on all four corners!

^????

Surely you jest. Squeeze a litte horsepower? A simple intake, racepipe, and Hypertech tune will produce over 50 whp gain on this car. You must not be into engine mods.

Intake, Cobb AP or Hypertech, suspension and RMM Upgrades. funny people always think power first. What's the use of having power if you cannot get it to the ground?

Search. Read the posts. I don't have time to repost all the charts and logs and data.

Short answer: it is an extremely bolt on mod friendly way to safely make 99% of the available power gains on the stock K04 turbo on pump gas compared to the more expensive tuning options that require even more expensive and potentially unsafe custom tuning to marginally improve on it, if at all. It works.

Why do you ask?

I'm not saying he can't get more horsepower for that price. I just said I think he'd be happier with some suspension mods. Based on my extensive knowledge of OP and what he likes.

You can get 50 hp out with those mods. But when your engine drops out, or those crappy oem struts go, you're gonna be sad you spent the money on a downpipe... just IMO.

I never said anything about a downpipe. My rear shocks definitely began leaking around 50k. I'm really happy with my Koni's.

If you have 1500 bucks to spend and want the best bang for your buck, I'd say get an AP, HPFP Internals, SRI, RMM. I new APV3 is 650, Internals for 350, RMMs and SRIs vary pretty heavily in price depending on brand. If you buy used stuff or an older V2 AP you could probably squeeze a catless DP and tune into the budget.

BC or yellow Speed Coil overs (850 new) if you know where to look
V2 AP 450
Used SRI intake
used Test Pipe
Easily in under 1500 and can run stage 2 on the AP

You can't run stage 2 on the stock fuel pump internals. It even specifies on the MAP that you must have upgraded HPFP to do it. Not to mention if you start eliminating cats without the internals upgrade you'll get fuel cut.

I'm not saying he can't get more horsepower for that price. I just said I think he'd be happier with some suspension mods. Based on my extensive knowledge of OP and what he likes.

You can get 50 hp out with those mods. But when your engine drops out, or those crappy oem struts go, you're gonna be sad you spent the money on a downpipe... just IMO.

The rear motor mount ought to be a part of the initial power upgrade. Power is what OP was specifically asking about, if you will but read his post. He specifically asked about "power/hp".

FWIW I finally just upgraded suspension two months ago. See mods below. I got over 80,000 miles on the stock struts and shocks and while they were weak, none of them had actually blown. They are crappy quality, but actually perform better than given credit.

Last edited:
Ugh... again, with the hyperfail. I agree, intake, racepipe, motor mount, AccessPort.

Yet another opportunity to go zoom, zoom, boom to try to achieve maybe 10 more whp over HT, and then with an expensive custom tune. Not worth it financially or risk wise. I am at 300/300 with HT on stock turbo and pump gas and my mods as listed. I cannot possibly use more bottom end torque. I overpower my tires in first and second now with uber sticky AD07s. Stay safe, save money, and reserve AP for big turbo or e85 blends where it actually makes a difference. If AP MS3s were truly producing better usable numbers on stock turbo on pump gas, I'd be all over it. Even the custom pro e-tuners over on MSF have done enough comparisons to admit this.

Search. Read the posts. I don't have time to repost all the charts and logs and data.

Short answer: it is an extremely bolt on mod friendly way to safely make 99% of the available power gains on the stock K04 turbo on pump gas compared to the more expensive tuning options that require even more expensive and potentially unsafe custom tuning to marginally improve on it, if at all. It works.

Why do you ask?

Becuz the HT is a pile of s***.

^ Very intelligently and articulately spoken. And with such irrefutable proof, too! Congratulations on the highly persuasive argument.

I'm so embarrassed. My pile of s*** tune could only do this with my mods. See attachments. I know this is pretty pitiful (throat clearing sound here), but I just don't have the desire to blow up my engine and spend a lot of extra money on more hardware and a custom e-tune to try to do so much better as with the AP fanboys. So, how much better did your tune turn out to be? Just curious.

I realize that my piddling 312/319 Dynojet, then probably over-corrected at 1.02 to 292/298 is WAY below what you must be putting down. Please excuse my poor tuning choice. And, hitting 60-100 mph in just under 6.0 seconds on the G-Tech is probably very below your expectations for a good tune. I sure wish I hadn't let up on the throttle too soon on that run, as I came up one mph short of hitting 130 mph in about 19.5 seconds or so. 120 was logged at 16.2 seconds. Stock 2008 MS3 hits 120 in 20.3 seconds, according to Road and Track, so my trivial 4.1 second improvement was hardly worth the effort, I guess.

I wonder how many car lengths 4.1 seconds might work out to be at 120 mph? Probably not very many at all. My math skills are probably a lot worse than yours. My spelling and grammar definitely is too. They sucks as much as my tuning and mod choices.

I know new Camaro SS and Mustang 5.0 cars are slow, and have to move out of your way, so my comparison to them is probably more proof of how much of a POS my tune is. Sorry I'm such a disappointment. Oh well. I'll try to do better.

Maybe you can post up some logs or data to show me how to do better with my simple bolt-on mods? Maybe if you find your way over to south Mississippi, we could do some runs and let you show me how it's supposed to be done? I see from one of your other posts that we have very similar mods and mileage on our MS3s.

Attachments

• 8-09-13 DynoJet VD.jpg
    8-09-13 DynoJet VD.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 104
  • 8-09-13 1.02 CF.jpg
    8-09-13 1.02 CF.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 131
  • speed v. time.jpg
    speed v. time.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 105
  • CT_2010-Camaro-vs-2011-Mustang-GT.pdf
    419.2 KB · Views: 107