Dealer / Mazda Cust Service fustrations

golftango

:
2009 Mazda5 GT
I've been having an issue where the "Pass Airbag Off" lamp on the dashboard keeps coming on and off when I am driving along with no one/ nothing in the pass seat. Sometime it's only on for a moment, sometimes it's on for a few minutes. It is annoying, especially at night. Brought it to Liberty Mazda this past summer and got the "could not duplicate, no codes".

Each time it happened again I grabbed a video clip of it with my iPhone. So today I brought it back to Liberty for an oil change and asked them to look at it again. Again they call, no codes. I told them I have video, asked to email it to the service manager which I did. Then got a call a few hours later, seen the video, tech seen the light come on, but it's not throwing any codes so there's nothing we can do.

When I picked it up, I asked the manager, "So you can see my Mazda is not operating as it should, but you can't get any codes, so there's nothing you can do?" "Yep" he replied. A call to Mazda Customer Service only yielded a call to the same dealer and them coming back saying "there's no codes, not much they can do."

It's amazing that we are so dumb'ed down as a society that we need a "computer" to tell us how to fix something. A visual confirmation that something is not working as designed is no longer good enough.

Then to add insult to injury, they list the price of an oil change as $35.95 on the wall, but they ended up charging me $39.99 plus tax. I wonder how many people don't catch on to that one?

Is your car still under warranty?

Either way that's a weak excuse for a dealer to say "there's no codes" and think they don't have to do anything else when you've clearly shown them there's a problem. Sounds like maybe a loose connector or intermittent short in the wiring somewhere

Last edited:
So if you have a flat tire, it's not a problem because there is no code?

Here's the issue, from another thread:

The Airbag OFF light will be illuminated when the seat weight sensor detects greater than 0lbs and less than 66 lbs in the seat.

If the weight sensor detects 0 lbs, the Airbag OFF light will NOT be illuminated.

If the seat belt is buckled with 0lbs in the seat, the Airbag OFF light will be illuminated.

If you have something in the front seat, such as a laptop, groceries, etc. it could cause the light to illuminate periodically.

For some reason your seat is sensing that something is present - it's a seat sensor issue. Talk again to the dealer if it's under warranty.

I found this description from another forum:

It should be the same concept:

" The seat occupant classification sensor (OCS) system is found only on the front passenger seat. The front passenger seat OCS system is comprised of a silicone gel-filled bladder mounted in the seat cushion, a pressure sensor that is mounted to the seat frame and an ECU which is also mounted to the seat frame. Pressure is applied to the OCS system bladder when the weight of any occupant or object in the front passenger seat is sensed. The pressure is then transferred through a tube, is sensed by the OCS system pressure sensor, then electronically communicated to the OCS system ECU. Based on preprogrammed set points, the OCS system ECU will inform the RCM, via a high-speed controller area network (HS-CAN), of the necessary information. The RCM uses this information in determining if the passenger air bag module is to be deployed in the event of a deployable collision. The RCM may also use this information to illuminate/not illuminate the passenger air bag deactivation (PAD) indicator. Fat chicks will alter normal OCS operation."

I checked the workshop manual and so far I don't find any code that relates to that subsystem.

It is simply a 'weight sensor'. how can there be a code? There is no way for the computer to compare
the actual weight of the person or object on top of the seat. with the reading of the sensor.
So I think it is just an independent 'switch' (i.e. it tells the airbag not to deploy because its a child sitting there.

I suggest you ask MAzda or the dealer, What codes are they 'expecting' to see for this particular problem.

Or ask them to check their workshop manual. There is another part of the manual that's titled "Troubleshooting by
symptoms'. This part does not need codes. There is a complain, then they should try replacing parts
and you observe if it happens again. And so on... I mean that's what I would do If I'm the mechanic.
who knows in the process of checking out the under neath the seat, maybe they will find out something maybe loose
connectors etc..

I scanned this page in the workshop manual.

They should do this to confirm the subsystem is working ok.
there is no need for codes:

seatsensor.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks Skyhawk for the info!

I am still under warranty:
Airbags (Safety Restraint System) 60-month/60,000-miles

Out of curiosity, does the problem occur if somebody is riding in the seat?

Make certain there are no items jammed under the seat also.

I would really try to go to another dealer if at all possible. Some dealers have no desire to do warranty work because of the low $ return from manufacturer. In these cases/dealers it is usually easier to get warranty work done in the beginning of the month, when the dealer is not trying to "make his numbers" for the month.
(drinks)

Well I just got a call from the Service Manager. I guess Mazda USA called them and advised to put me in a loaner while they try and solve it. So that is progress, I'll keep this forum abreast.

Latest posts

Back