What have you done to your MS3 today?

I used a massive fork/prybar thing to get that sucker apart. What a pain. Good luck!

Yeah I pried it apart and stuck a chunk of metal in there to keep it apart. As soon as I figured that it out it went slightly better up until the time when I had to get that hunk of metal out.

All you need is a BFH

I definitely wasn't using a big enough hammer.

When I put mine in, I used my prybar, but it wouldn't seat all the way. So I used a small jack right under the ball joint to seat the suspension.

Yeah I jacked it up to get the new one it and it still wouldn't go in all the way. So I pried the thing apart while it was jacked up and wiggled it around and eventually it dropped in place enough that I could get the bolt through.

yeah I was going to say when I did my h&r springs before my coils, I just used the scissor jack in there, and pryed the thing apart. The shocks popped right out, no problem. If you ever have to do it again, I highly recommend trying it that way. Makes life much easier.

You put the scissor jack between what to pry things apart? I might try that on the other side.

Yeah, that's the other method. I couldn't get a good seat for the jack, so I just used the metal piece and reversed bolt method paired with the 2x4 and 3lb dead blow hammer.

Reverse bolt method sounds easier than my pry bar method from yesterday. It better come out in half the time/effort with all these new ideas I have ;)

So what happens when you strip the hex part of the bolt that attaches the end link to the shock....

Damn I was really looking forward to the "road test" portion of this project. Hopefully the stealership has some end links in stock... somehow I doubt they will though.

was it a part of the end link or the nut that secures the endlink bolt? Can you try some penetrating oils and a good stripped nut wrench? Any hardware store should have them.

went to a local that has moar knowledge than me (making 500 on stock block) to try and diagnose my cars jekyll n hyde attitude as of late. car goes under the knife tomorrow for troubleshooting

was it a part of the end link or the nut that secures the endlink bolt? Can you try some penetrating oils and a good stripped nut wrench? Any hardware store should have them.

I had PB Blaster on it all night before I tried to take it off. I stripped the bolt that is part of the end link itself. I didn't have a Dremel so I just used a hack saw to cut the end link in half so I could get the shock out. I'll worry about getting the two pieces of end link attached at a later time.

While I was thinking of new expletives to describe the end link, I changed the oil and got the spring from the OEM shock transferred over to the Koni, put the Koni in the car. I just need to get it the rest of the way into the control arm and figure out a way to get the end link off the rest of the way.

You can use the widowmaker to ease the koni into the control arm.

You can use the hacksaw on the endlink behind the mount point. You could also buy a dremmel for $25 or so.

Back