Handbrake grounding point help (e-brake light related)

canadian357

:
2003 Protege5, 1987 Honda Accord Type-R(rice)
So, I've got my car in the garage at home so I can do rust repair/shifter install/footwell lights/intake/header/paint wheels, etc... and I figured I'd try and fix my e-brake light while I was at it.

I went to test continuity on the switch and when I was taking a look at everything I saw the grounding point wasn't actually connecting when the brake was fully down:

These points should be touching, shouldn't they? Thats the only way I can see the switch would ground out, but I'm not seeing any real adjustment unless I'm supposed to tighten the screw thats holding down the grounding wire. Should I:

A) Just say **** it and put a drop of solder on there or
B) Does that screw adjust the connection

Edit: forgot the picture because I'm a dumb-dumb! Should take 2 mins, my phone is updating

2nd edit: My phone is a dick, it lost the picture. The part I'm talking about is the tab that sits under the little metal bracket that the ebrake wire grounds to.

Last edited:
just test the connector for voltage when the e brake is up. The light can be triggered by low brake pads too....dont ask me how, but ive seen it.
Brothers light would come on, and go off randomly, changed his pads, and BAM, no more light. Also have seen it for low brake fluid.

Photo_BE5FC64E-F48E-7CBF-5BED-022409595292.jpg

Theres the picture. The part with the wire running to it and the little tab underneath it. Thats what mine looks like with the ebrake all the way down.

If that is the handbrake (parking brake switch) it should be open with when the parking brake lever is
down. Should be closed when the lever is pulled up (on).

Is the light always on or is it never on?

Clifton

Always on. I figured they need to make contact, I'm just wondering if I should build the tab up with a drop of solder so they connect or tighten that screw down more.

The contacts should be open with the hand brake released.
That turns the light off. Pull the hand brake lever up and the contacts
close to turn the light on.

As mentioned the light will be on if the brake fluid level is low. Since
your light is always on, adding solder to the switch contact will not help.

If you are sure it isn't caused by the fluid level sensor in the master
cylinder reservoir you should examine the wiring connecting the the
fluid level sensor and the hand brake switch to the brake light in the
instrument cluster.

I would first remove the wires at the fluid level sensor and the hand
brake switch and see if the is still on. If it's still on the problem is in
the wiring or the light circuit in the instrument cluster.

Clifton

Last edited:
My concern is that the contacts never make contact. That picture is with that hand brake completely released.

Just pull the hand brake lever up and look at the contacts, if they make contact
with the hand brake on that part of the circuit is good.

That still would not explain why your brake light is always on. Something is supplying
ground to keep the light on. the light will have 12 volts any time the ignition switch
is on, the light is ground switched, contacts closed on light is on, contacts open
lifgt os off.

Clifton

Back