From MSP to What's Next For Me

:
2008 Mazda MX-5 5MT PRHT
So I've determined that a lot of folks go from an MSP to something with tons more HP or just all around better.

Sold your MSP lately? Wrecked it and moved on? Let us know what you decided was more reliable and that's why you left.

I'll go first.

Here's where I went. More utility, safer, more reliable, better utility, more hp, more torque, RWD, one more gear (still manual shift) and a whole lot better looking.

5384755600_ba37ef23b0_b.jpg

5384733360_23dcdb749e_b.jpg

Attachments

• 166503_479219458151_506943151_5766717_5974947_n.jpg
    166503_479219458151_506943151_5766717_5974947_n.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 125
  • 164840_479878113151_506943151_5776283_4463260_n.jpg
    164840_479878113151_506943151_5776283_4463260_n.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
The MSP was a fun car for the most part but decided it was time to move on. Started with a 1st Gen Protege,than the MX-6 V-6 to the MSP. Had nothing but serious mechanical problems with all 3 so I got a 2006 Acura RSX Type S. The best quality car I've owned so far. The big K20Z1 screams at high RPM's and is very reliable for a daily driver. Unlike the MSP, the H.P. & torque is consistent throughout the powerbands and performs well with bolt-ons. I got a new respect for the N/A motor.

I am hoping to join this club later this year.

FAIL :) MSP for life. I might upgrade, but won't get rid of her unless she is maybe totalled again or explodes into flames. I've had her for almost 4 years and still find myself looking out the window of my apartment making sure she is still there waiting for me. I do really want a 350Z or 370Z, but I think I'll still keep her for s**** and giggles.

The MSP was a fun car for the most part but decided it was time to move on. Started with a 1st Gen Protege,than the MX-6 V-6 to the MSP. Had nothing but serious mechanical problems with all 3 so I got a 2006 Acura RSX Type S. The best quality car I've owned so far. The big K20Z1 screams at high RPM's and is very reliable for a daily driver. Unlike the MSP, the H.P. & torque is consistent throughout the powerbands and performs well with bolt-ons. I got a new respect for the N/A motor.

The real question is have you changed the alternator on the rsx? If not your in for a treat.

And I've considered getting ride of my msp a few times but every time I look at it or add parts to it I know why I still have it. I will be buying an old b2200 in the near future as a second car/project, and a miata farther down the road but the msp is here to stay

You have to scream that engine to go anywhere. If honda could put more engineering into getting more torque out of there engines instead of trying to get big HP numbers I would be on board. honda s2000 237hp but only 162ftlb of torque?! Id trade low end torque for hp any day.

Sold mine in March, and I have to say I was kinda sad to see it go. But I have made up for it in the form of awd twin turbo 6 speed german engineering(2001.5 6spd S4 with k04s).

Also still have a set of K1 long rods and Arias 8.5:1 pistons that need a home, I have given Destineal dibs currently until he says otherwise. ;-)

I am about to throw my speed on the market and im going to replace with an 04 or 05 rx8 with all the amenities (leather, gps, bose etc) i have also thought about a 350z (same price range) but id rather have another row of seating.

This isn't a place to come and get sad. It's a way to let go of the MSP gracefully. This was started with respect. I still keep in touch with the new owner of the B.O.S.S. <--- My MSP's name. I might buy it back eventually.

Just to let you know those Xrunners seem to go through trans.. my buddy has had 3 trans put in his truck under warrenty. Now he does beat on it or well did.. He traded that in because of gas and it kept breaking. Great looking truck and realiable if you dont beat on it... sounds a lot like the MSP. lmao

Even with that said I still want one and in blue!

I've often though about ditchign my MSP due to all the issues I have had with it. But I try to look at it like this. At least I know what issues I already have and dont have to worry about getting someone elses headache like I did withthe MSP. Its finally starting to come together... Slowly but surely.

True.

Didn't know that about the XR's. I love this truck. I don't really beat on it too much but it's still plenty under warranty (09 under 10k miles). I don't plan on beating on it too much either. Like the MSP, if you just be nice and play nice... it's nice back. Ask JA from Georgia. I don't recall ever hearing her having issues but I don't think she beats on it regularly.

The real question is have you changed the alternator on the rsx? If not your in for a treat.

And I've considered getting ride of my msp a few times but every time I look at it or add parts to it I know why I still have it. I will be buying an old b2200 in the near future as a second car/project, and a miata farther down the road but the msp is here to stay

Alternator is good. And if it did fail I would rather change that out than have to worry about blowing another stupid turbo.

Last edited:
You have to scream that engine to go anywhere. If honda could put more engineering into getting more torque out of there engines instead of trying to get big HP numbers I would be on board. honda s2000 237hp but only 162ftlb of torque?! Id trade low end torque for hp any day.

You kidding bro! The little 2.0 has mad power with or without bolt ons. I don't have to worry about compressor surge, heat soak, fuel cut or any of that bulls*** you find in the MSP. I put 30K on the RSX and no issues whatsoever to date. So don't hate! Have fun fixing all your MSP problems playboy! Just don't go ZOOM ZOOM BOOM!

Back