2003 p5 multiple cyl misfiring. help?! please

:
2016.5 CX-5 GT w/ Tech
Last night my p5 which I love so dearly started to run on what felt like 2 cyl instead of all 4. It would pick up beyond slow, then eventually catch and all 4 would be working, the cel was blinking like a strobe light.

Brought it to a mechanic today he told me the code read multi cylinder misfire. He replaced the plugs and cleared the code, and it ran fine... I got the car back and 10 mins later it started acting up again and the cel came back on blinking then went solid. It wud misfire then catch misfire and catch...I'm going to replace the coil packs and hopefully that will end this horror but is there any suggestions as to what else I can try if the coilpacks don't fix this?

Pleasepleaseplease and thank you for any help. I love you giuys and this forum.

Brian "BMX"

I love as I started the car and the cel was gone you replyed 99% sure coils and that is what it appears to be. The cel is gone and hopefuly will stay gone. Thank you much :)

99.9 % coil packs, do them yourself take maybe 5 mins tops with a bad mechanic, shops will over charge. Might want to change wires while your doing it as well, nothing like a good tune up, did this same thing to my car like a month back, changed plugs, coil packs, and wires and the problem was gone :) also make sure you do it soon before you dump to much unburnt gas into your cat cuz if that happens your looking at more moneys to fix.

ps if that does happen a p0421 cel pm me i got a good way to fix for 5 doll hairs

99.9 % coil packs, do them yourself take maybe 5 mins tops with a bad mechanic, shops will over charge. Might want to change wires while your doing it as well, nothing like a good tune up, did this same thing to my car like a month back, changed plugs, coil packs, and wires and the problem was gone :) also make sure you do it soon before you dump to much unburnt gas into your cat cuz if that happens your looking at more moneys to fix.

ps if that does happen a p0421 cel pm me i got a good way to fix for 5 doll hairs

I'm interested in how to fix it for $5...i've had that code on for quite a while and don't have the money to fix it.

go to autozone, pick up a spark plug non fouler, believe it is part number 42002, its the one that says 18mm on it. Drill the opening with a half inch drill bit, then you will need a 10mm wrench to remove the heat shield on the rear o2 sensor, and possibly wd40 if you have some rust action. Then once the 3 bolts are removed you will need a 21mm wrench for the o2 sensor, remove that and then put in the non fouler, then put in the o2 into the non fouler, plug everything back in and your done. Also dont forget to reset your ecu and say goodbye to the cel.

pics up later of how to

reason why this works is because it separates the air flow from the o2 sensor and helps it read cleaner, if the cel comes back on, insert second non fouler, however havent heard of a case where it needed two, had this on my sti as well as protege and both worked perfect. They also sell them for mazdaspeed 3's with the cat delete, this way you can run a car with no cat and still pass smog :)

attachment.php

here is what mine looks like. i notices with a 1/2 inch drill the o2 would not fit all the way, Later i am gonna redrill it some more to allow the o2 to slide more in. Get more thread into it.

Attachments

• DSC01603.JPG
    DSC01603.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 1,481
the misfire didnt do much damage to the cat, but i still went ahead and replaced the headers with obx racing ones, Car sounds really good. I still have the cat and OEM headers, thought i would keep them just in case.

attachment.php

Back