Mazdaspeed 2.0 Turbo swap questions

:
2006 Mazdaspeed 6
I've searched and searched and searched and all I find is the same dumb questions...

I have an 03 P5 I am about to pull the trigger on a 2.0 turbo swap and I have a few questions about others' experiences with this swap into a non turbo Protege or P5:

How is the performance with the standard non-LSD 5 speed? I'd imagine it's quite annoying.

Would you recommend swapping the MSP halfshafts (larger diameter supposedly = stronger) and do they mate to the non-LSD manual trans?

Can the stock clutch handle the increased power or should I invest in a new one (if so I'm gonna go cheap and get a Spec stage one Clutch Kit)? The car has almost 110k miles on it with the original clutch so I might just swap it while it's accessible anyway.

Anything else I should watch out for?

My buddy that's helping me with the swap had a 96 MX6 that was turbo'd and putting down 220WHP so he's extremely familiar with the platform so I'm not really worried about running into any complications. Just want to hear about others' experiences.

To my knowledge, the MSP clutch is the same as NA except with a lighter flywheel. And according to Protege Garage the MSP axles are a direct swap.

just did mine on my 02 p5, super easy if you have all the msp stock parts. only really annoying part is the coolant lines, if you have questions while doing it write me or pm me for my number, i can probably answer all your questions. your going to want a good tune, specially if your going to be boosting over 7 pounds.

MSP does have an upgraded clutch, basically an exedy stage 1. I would highly recommend upgrading it since you are still on the original.

Hey you are pretty local to me! Check out MOCC and us locals can definitely help you out!

yep, I am going to change a hole system over, msp roll over parts car to a P5. Its running the roll overcar. what about exhaust. I would like to use the cat back system from RB for P5, will it work??? Ill post pics of change over as the car forges a head.

Attachments

• black car 001.JPG
    black car 001.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 691
I'm still running the stock clutch, it slipped pretty bad for the first week or so after I boosted it, then it stopped. lol. I have a spec stage one on the floor in my bedroom, just haven't had time to put it in, but for now the stocker is holding fine at 6 psi. The stock trans is fine, kinda torque steers here and there, but nothing to really worry about in my book.

as far as coolant lines for the turbo, I just used the water lines running to the throttle body and hooked them to the turbo instead. not sure if thats the best way to go, but it seems to work.

Back