Hatch disassembly

BlackCherry

:
2002 Mazda Protege 5
I'm going to start putting my struts and spring on my car along with the new sway bar. I needed to know how to disassemble the hatch (without breaking anything hopefully). Also if anyone had any pointers or tips on the installation i'd be greatly appreciated. (I'm kinda new with this stuff)

ok, I did this once a long time ago, so all my info may not be right, but it will give you an idea of what is going on. You should check the shop manual as it has more detailed info.

pull off the top cover (what the seatbelt threads through) first. You'll then see a bunch of little plastic tab screws that can be popped out with a screwdriver. They run along the top and down the sides. Once you have done that, make sure you have every one of those tabs out. I think you need to pry up the hatch opening scuff plate as it covers part of the panel. Then pull the panel from the edge closest to the front toward the middle of the car. It will pop and make lots of noise, but it should come off without breakage.

There's a howto on doing struts and springs, and I believe it has some of this info. Check the howto thread. Good luck!

I did mine recently. The interior hatch comes apart pretty easily. Just go slow and don't yank anything too hard. There are some tough bolts in there...seatbelt anchors etc. so have a breaker bar handy. I ended up having to grind off all the endlink nuts despite soaking them with PB Blaster for 3 days , so keep that in mind. I re-used the strut boot , bump stop and spring seats because they were in OK shape. They are often ripped or cracked so you might need fresh ones. Also, check the position of the white dot on the top of the front strut mount. Make sure it goes back on the same way. Don't forget a spring compressor!

Attachments

• DSC_1267.JPG
    DSC_1267.JPG
    954.5 KB · Views: 125
  • DSC_1262.JPG
    DSC_1262.JPG
    210.4 KB · Views: 123
  • DSC_1259.jpg
    DSC_1259.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 127
speeders info sounds right.

you need to look carefully for those plastic tabs. some are in corners and tough to get to.

I have small hands so I should be pretty set. I'm definitely going to take a look at a shop manual, and speeder I'll try and follow your directions as best as possible. Just hope I don't break anything (it kills me inside) also I'm pretty set on parts. I should have everything that I need. I bought new endlinks, the only thing is the endlink kit that was on onlinemazdaparts didn't come with bolts (figured it would've) does anybody know what size they are? I don't need a spring compressor :) I bought oemplus's set up

Back