Rusty Wheel Question

PhreakV

Contributor
:
03 SE-R SpecV
I was wondering what everyone's suggestions would be on this situation...

I'm sure most everyone has noticed the rust that develops on the stock rotors of the P5 everytime someone sneezes around ours cars. Well I was working on my car and took the wheel off... This picture is what I found. The rust from the hub of the rotor had transferred to the stock wheels. The rust actually had begun to bond the two to the point that I had to work pretty hard to seperate the two.

A month ago, I took the car in to get the TSB fix (view it via TheMan's Protege FAQ) and they told me that it was fixed but after looking at it, they really didn't do s****. Anyways, I never took the time to take off the wheel and snapped a couple pics. I called Blue Ridge Mazda in KC and talked with the service manager. He told me that they want to look at my car tomorrow because a Mazda rep is going to be there and I'm the "only" one that he knows with that problem.

Long story, even longer I was wondering what all thought I should tell the service manager and the Mazda rep. All that I've got so far is that the fact that the rotors rust up (perhaps leading to structural issues in the future) is bulls*** 'cause the car was purchased in Feb '03 and has yet to see a winter. And the fact that so many of us have had to jump through hoops is even worse.

Lemme know before 2am EST.

Attachments

• rustwheel.jpg
    rustwheel.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 744
Here is an attachment of a photo of the rotor.

Attachments

• rustrotor.jpg
    rustrotor.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 735
but I thought that the wheels were some sort of alloy (perhaps with an iron element). all I really know for sure is that the wheels were stuck on to the point that I had to really work to get them off. Me (6'0" 230lbs) working to get the corrosion/rust to break enough to pull off the wheel is unreasonable.
you can see from both pics that there is a definite pattern left on each piece.
dunno, I guess I'll just have to update this tomorrow after I talk with them.

I sanded and painted mine. It took about three hours to put 4-5 coats on all four corners. ;)

Before:
fc01d3ad.jpg

After:
fc01d319.jpg

the rotor rusted, and just kind of glues the wheel to it. mine did the same thing. all I had to do it hit my tire with my palm really hard to break it loose. the wheels will be unharmed by the rust, but the rotors are ugly as hell when they rust, I painted mile just like Natey did. it looks a million times better now.

Your's have been wirebrushed, but they should have been painted, or at least some anti-seize put on the hubs. I had to clean mine off and paint them. Still had a little trouble getting them off today. I have a feeling my car is going to have some cross drilled rotors on it soon.

I feel ya, same thing happened on my Speed. I had to use the tire iron to pry the wheels off. No, the wheel won't rust, but it sure as hell gets bonded. Anyhow, there is supposed to be a Service bulletin out there. I've seen it on here, so you might be able to search for it and find it. Wish I still had it, but it was dated. Didn't cover 2003's so my dealer was able to tell me to stick it. I am just gonna get the cross-drilleds from Cork Sport and be done with it. Good luck partner.

Thanx for the info guys. Yeah, I've seen the TSB and I took it to the dealership the first time (when they pretended to do it but I was late enough not to call them on it).

Natey - I've seen those pics before and I really liked the way yours looks. I'm just gonna try and get Mazda to do it for me :D

UPDATE I jsut got off the phone with Blue Ridge Mazda and the paint is drying. I'll post pics tonite or tomorrow.

Back