Painting calipers

Looking to paint my calipers this weekend. Got a True Red Speed3, trying to decide between red and black. Also, anyone have experience with the various brake painting products out there. Anyone know if you can airbrush the 2 part epoxies out there?

Not sure 'bout airbrushing. I used the leftover DupliColor Red from my Ram. Looks good, IMO. I'd say red on red. Black calipers will just blend in. Apparently, I have no pics of the painted calipers and my RX-8s. (shrug)

Attachments

• Caliper paint 2.jpg
    Caliper paint 2.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 186
I went with the black G2 caliper paint + Mazdaspeed decals. The paint kit comes with everything you need and you don't have to take the calipers off to paint them.

Attachments

• IMG_0471.JPG
    IMG_0471.JPG
    840.6 KB · Views: 177
The only concern with red calipers is if the red caliper paint will match the True Red body paint. If it looks more orange, or darker, etc, it may be a little awkward.

Black calipers might blend in some, but if you have other black body & trim accents, then paint the calipers black & slap on some red Mazda/Mazdaspeed decals, I think it would set them off nicely. But I kinda like subtle, so take my input with a grain of salt.

Gold calipers FTW!

Gold calipers=> racing brakes (look at most racing bikes and GT cars--gold, not red, calipers).

Daniel

Wouldn't painting your calipers be a way of holding in heat? Just throwing it out there for those of us who track the car. Less heat equals better breaking.

I'm not a fan of the spray paint, I always make a mess with that. I used the $18 kit from Murrays that came with the break cleaner and a paint brush with ceramic paint. I think that was duplicolor. Held up good for a year now its chipping. I did 2 coats of red and still have plenty left for when I have to redo them now. I'd probably go with black on a red car though.

I used high temp engine paint. ON my bros MS6, and my MS3.

WE pulled the calipers, wire brushed them clean. and brackets. Used high temp primer. 3 coats.
High Temp black

then high temp clear coat. mith some bronze decals.
IMG_0585.jpg

hard to see, one picture from the MS6

Wouldn't painting your calipers be a way of holding in heat? Just throwing it out there for those of us who track the car. Less heat equals better breaking.

I've ran AutoX races both before and after painting the calipers and haven't noticed any difference. Even if there was any decrease in braking force I doubt you would be able to notice, as you are only painting the outside of the actual caliper (leaving the inside to cool if the paint does increase temp.) and any temp. increase would probably be pretty minimal (maybe 5 C increase when brake temps are in the 100+ range.). This is just my guess.

I've ran AutoX races both before and after painting the calipers and haven't noticed any difference. Even if there was any decrease in braking force I doubt you would be able to notice, as you are only painting the outside of the actual caliper (leaving the inside to cool if the paint does increase temp.) and any temp. increase would probably be pretty minimal (maybe 5 C increase when brake temps are in the 100+ range.). This is just my guess.

Auto-x's don't build brake temps like the road course will. I doubt you'd notice it during an auto-x run or during normal daily driving. Long stints on the road course you might definitely feel it and even crack the paint you apply or even cause discoloration. No idea if thats true but I could imagine its true (the cracking part).

Anyways I'll proly save the money for some braided brake lines to prevent brake fade. Just thought I'd throw the idea out there for those who are looking for all out performance.

I used high temp engine paint. ON my bros MS6, and my MS3.

WE pulled the calipers, wire brushed them clean. and brackets. Used high temp primer. 3 coats.
High Temp black

then high temp clear coat. mith some bronze decals.
IMG_0585.jpg

hard to see, one picture from the MS6
Paint the wheel with poster paint, slip me some windowpane and let the good times roll

yeah, that braking down from 65 to 30 every 15 min can be taxing on the system

I would have to Say that the G2 paint is the way to go. I used Duplicolor Caliper paint. And it held up Great Until I went to Summitpoint for a track day. and after a few Hard laps, The front calipars are now a very dull and faded red from the heat build up. Im going to see how the G2 holds up next.

I suppose anything is possible with Mazda right, JK. If you took the calipers off, and spray painted them and had a brake problem then you might want to worry. The G2 kit is a brush on kit, so you dont have to remove the caliper, just the wheels.

Leadfoot-How different are the two reds. I had been thinking about springing for the custom matched red, but at more that twice the cost I'm not sure its worth it. What do you think after doing it?

Back