Installed a JVC KD-R900 w/HD and Kenwood KFC-C6882ie Speakers

remarquian

:
2007 Mazda5 Sport AT
So last weekend I installed a JVC KD-R900 with an HD-Radio module and Kenwood KFC-C6882ie Speakers. I used the Metra kit.

The Install.

The install went ok. Getting the rear panel out to install the rear speakers was a pain. It would have probably have been easier to take out the back seat to properly remove the panel.

I stowed the HD Adapter box in some open space under the console.

The factory unit was pretty heavy, like six and a half pounds, what I installed was like three pounds. So now my 5 should be faster and more fuel efficient :).

Overall I'm happy with the outcome. The install doesn't look bad, and having a USB port, Bluetooth, and HD Radio is cool. Because I didn't go crazy in the speaker department, the sound is good, not excellent, tho it does need more bass.

The Nits

I'm not that happy with the Metra trim kit: the fitment around the climate control knobs is off --- there are gaps; and in order to get everything flush, I had to put Metra single din trim over the JVC supplied one. It works but you can notice bowing in the trim at the top and the bottom of the deck.

Another bummer: The LEDs in the stereo are phased horizontally, making the LED display unreadable with polarized sunglasses. One has to cock one's head to read it.

Does anyone know if this is this a normal thing? Can you get LEDs that are phased vertically?

To Do

Next thing is to install the SWI-JACK and persuade my wife that we need a powered subwoofer.

Attachments

• deck.jpg
    deck.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 191
  • fitment.jpg
    fitment.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 159
  • panel.jpg
    panel.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 177
  • total_view.jpg
    total_view.jpg