Mazda Millenia vs Mazda 929 ?!?!

I'm about to buy one of these two but i'm undecided. I like the millenia 'cuz is newer, the body, the interior, and the Supercharge engine (if im lucky to find it). And the 929 i like the interior, the front and back lights but not the body shape.

From what i know the 929 is cheaper..but a few bucks more may be worth it to get the millenia.

Which one has less issues? Which one will be a better daily driver? Which one is cheaper to fix?

Thanks! :)

I personally would stay away from a supercharged Millenia. Its not if, but when the supercharger fills your intercooler with oil, you will be very sad shelling out the cash to make that repair. Not sure where you live, but a fwd Millenia will do better in the snow than a rwd 929. Guess it comes down to your preference- both are very reliable cars, just have to find decent, no rust examples.

Thx for the reply fudgie! Well the supercharger was hanging out from my head saying "it will be fast but what if i have to fix it", i live in california LA and there is no snow here, never. Then you recommend the regular millenia V6 2.5L to pay less on repairs if there's any.

Any more comments or opinions will be appreciated!!

thanks!

I wouldn't get the millenia at all. Mazda was doing 2 things with it.

1.) They were using the Miller Cycle Engine, and that's what the supercharger is for, not as a big performance booster.

info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miller_cycle

That engine can have problems. And it will cost you.

2.) The millenia was originally developed to go after the luxury market (i.e. Lexus Infiniti Acura) and the parts are priced as such. Everything on a millenia is at least 40% more than any other Mazda.

They are luxurious and comfortable rides, but Mazda missed the mark on that one. You are better off with the 929.

Thx for the reply zoomzone! That cleared my mind alot, right now another one came up to my mind which i will get it 5 speed and do some mods on it, the Mx6 V6. I've heard they are fast as hell, even tho with the KLDE engine (164hp/160tq) Faster than his brother, the probe gt. Maybe because of mazda's trans and slip.

well for one the Millenia comes with a USDM KLZE... 170HP... great car! the Millenia S is a KJZEM aka Miller cycle engine which blows! they are notrious for blowing head gaskets...

now Back to the NORMAL Millenia! it is just exactly like the KLDE just has square IM ports instead of oval... Curve Neck IM vs. Short neck... almost every KLDE part will fit the Millenia... one thing is if you looking for a sleeper then the Millenia is something that cant do the trick... ive been wanting to sell my Camry and buy up a Millenia so i can have a full Mazda family... now on the Millenia beating your friends probe... im not sure if you will... BUT you never know!

now i was looking at the Millenia S sway bars and i wanna try to see if they bolt right up cause they are HUGE!

and the difference between the Mx6 tranny and the probe tranny is that the mx6 final gear is 4.11 vs. 4.39 both are open diff... KLZE tranny is only tranny with LSD... but wont work w/o JDM spindles and KLZE C/V axles...

heres a great PDF... makes everything a bit easier...
http://93mx6.atlasshare.com/Tech Sheets FAQs and Misc/1/KLZE and KLDE Comparison.doc

Last edited:
my parents have had a regular millenia for the past 5 years. good car, i like the interior especially.

i've just got myself a millenia S 2.3L miller circle engine. its been good to me so far.

Attachments

• PIC_0099.JPG
    PIC_0099.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 363
  • PIC_0104.JPG
    PIC_0104.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 435
Hey i just got my Millenia like 3 or 4 days ago. Traded my Cougar for it, the tranny was about to go out in it, so i traded a guy for this. Think he got jeaped!!! This car has CAI, 3A Racing exhaust, aftermarket gauges that change from blue to green, it's chipped, it has underbody neon kit, Alpine headunit, 2 10 inch Sony Xplod speakers, and a Directed Audio 800 watt amp. So like i said i think the other dude got ripped off. As to what everybody else is saying...this car will get up and go...your doing like 90mph before ya know it. As i said this one is chipped and he told me he had it dynoed at 230.7 hp. As into how much i can believe that idk...but that's what he says. I'd like to learn some more about modding it...since like others have said it basically has the same engine as a probe. So as in turbo's etc i would like to know more about!!!

Attachments

• My Millenia 1.jpg
    My Millenia 1.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 556
  • My Millenia 4.jpg
    My Millenia 4.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 363
well for one the Millenia comes with a USDM KLZE... 170HP... great car! the Millenia S is a KJZEM aka Miller cycle engine which blows! they are notrious for blowing head gaskets...

now Back to the NORMAL Millenia! it is just exactly like the KLDE just has square IM ports instead of oval... Curve Neck IM vs. Short neck... almost every KLDE part will fit the Millenia... one thing is if you looking for a sleeper then the Millenia is something that cant do the trick... ive been wanting to sell my Camry and buy up a Millenia so i can have a full Mazda family... now on the Millenia beating your friends probe... im not sure if you will... BUT you never know!

now i was looking at the Millenia S sway bars and i wanna try to see if they bolt right up cause they are HUGE!

and the difference between the Mx6 tranny and the probe tranny is that the mx6 final gear is 4.11 vs. 4.39 both are open diff... KLZE tranny is only tranny with LSD... but wont work w/o JDM spindles and KLZE C/V axles...

heres a great PDF... makes everything a bit easier...
http://93mx6.atlasshare.com/Tech Sheets FAQs and Misc/1/KLZE and KLDE Comparison.doc

no car in the US ever got the KL-ZE, get your facts straight

just because the intake manifold looks like the curve neck KL-ZEs does not make them so! the USDM millenia 2.5l engine is still a KL-DE... it does NOT have the better KL-ZE heads or higher compression pistons, simple as that!

no car in the US ever got the KL-ZE, get your facts straight

just because the intake manifold looks like the curve neck KL-ZEs does not make them so! the USDM millenia 2.5l engine is still a KL-DE... it does NOT have the better KL-ZE heads or higher compression pistons, simple as that!

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I thought I'd add some insight.

The Millenia 2.5 is actually a hybrid KL. It does have the ZE heads and intake manifold. However, it does not have the ZE cams. Everything else is like a normal DE.

So TheMAN is right about no US car getting a true KL-ZE, but is wrong about the millenia not having the ZE heads and manifold.

Oh, and there are straight neck KL-ZEs out there too.

wow thanks for the response i had forgotten to check back. Any idea of how much HP would be gained?

It's virtually impossible to predict the h/p without someone doing it first, then dyno testing. Even then, there's still variables like age/wear of the motor, mods, etc.

It will be an improvement. However, without the high comp pistons, it will be considerably less h/p than a stock ZE puts out.

That is my thinking too. Unless, for some reason you were going to rebuild your motor anyway.

A memeber from the other forum i belong to made a turbo kit for his millenia and blow the engine. Too much psi for the engine to handle. He jus bought a ZE and will turbo that one too. Apparently not much of a drop in. Certain things have to be removed from the DE and put on the ZE for it to be good. Not much though. Only the oil pan, distributor and other small part.

Last edited:
Back