Anybody with pics with their tokico Illumina suspension kit?

Demo

:
2002 Mazda Protege 5
Does anybody have pics with their tokico Illumina suspension kit(springs/struts)?

ILKsetbox.jpg

How do you like it?

What size wheels do you have?

Is it worth it?

wow i'm answering all your threads.

If you don't autox you don't need them. Majority of people who get these will set the setting and leave it. Save your money go with the blues.

wow i'm answering all your threads.

If you don't autox you don't need them. Majority of people who get these will set the setting and leave it. Save your money go with the blues.

Yeah you seem to be the "go to" person on here. My problem is that i don't race but i go on road trips, and my springs are wearing out. I always have people in the back, and Im worried about rubbing. I have 18x8 wheels and i want to replace my springs/struts with worrying about rubbing.

i can't comment there i never had them but i'm sure plenty of people are running the same setup as you. But I doubt the strut travel changes much. But I can tell you is that your rubbing issue will depend more on the offset of those wheels and the springs you are running not the struts.

i can't comment there i never had them but i'm sure plenty of people are running the same setup as you. But I doubt the strut travel changes much. But I can tell you is that your rubbing issue will depend more on the offset of those wheels and the springs you are running not the struts.

I wish i knew the offset. this is the website i bought my wheels from. I'l have to call them tomarrow to find out!

http://www.victoriatire.com/wheel_VOLANTE_DIAMOND%20BLACK

I really dont care about how much lower my car is. I can live with 1 in.

What kind of setup would you prefer? Or how do you like yours?

that spring rate will make you sag in the back. those springs are meant for the sedan.

if you want a mild drop either go with the racing beat springs which will give you a .75 drop all around, or the eibach prokit which i believe is between 1.2 and 1.4 in drop. i think espiler has a similar drop like the eibachs.

I'm not thinking of anyone offhand who has Tokico springs on their P5. I've had the struts on for 3 years now, and I like them, but I also had it lowered 2" on GC coilovers until December 2007. Now I've got stock springs back on the car. The noticeable height difference is more from the springs, and if you're just looking for a slightly firmer ride w/ better springs and minimal drop, then go w/ the RB springs. Mike R had them w/ the Illuminas and really liked the combo. But if you're looking to reduce the rubbing w/ passengers, go w/ a smaller rim size.

I cant seem to find a picture of protege5 with 18s and eibach or RacingBeat springs...so i can get a better idea! I found out that I have a +42" offset for my 18x8 wheels. So i hope that helps a bit...

yeah that's totally gonna rub. And probably stick out some.

yeah... that looks like a 4x4. your gonna rub with those wheels no doubt.

have you thought about dropping a wheel size? maybe downgrading to a 17x7.5 or something?

definitely rub with those. Those are too wide for the P5. If you want to drop you will have to change wheels. I don't even think rolling would help you seem to be beyond the fender. Post a side profile shot.

Demo,

Hey, your ride looks wicked with those rims...that's the kind of rim I was looking for, except in silver...nice!

I have the Illuminas with the MeGaN springs. I have since changed my wheels but I previously had, on the car, (P5) a set of 17X7 rims with the 42 mm offset and they rubbed the rear right fender like crazy. The left rear only when heavily loaded. I had to roll my fenders to keep that from happening...even with the MeGaN and Illuminas.

I'm not going to lie to you, this setup is quite a bit stiffer and doesn't lower the ride too much but even then, with a fully loaded car, the rear wheels tuck and, had I not rolled the fenders, they would rub.

The recommended offset for a wheel width of 8" is 48mm or more. There is a post somewhere "Rishi's fitment guide" or something of the sort; you could get the same answer there if our 'warnings' don't...uhmmn...make sense.

No matter what suspension you get, with the exception of a super stiff, full racing set-up, the tires will tuck and rub unless you exchange the wheels or do some serious rolling. If you're going to do the rolling bit, I'd recommend taking it to a shop to have them do it professionally.

I did the fender rolling myself and I don't think you'll be able to get the amount of rolling needed with my method...a bat. I've included a couple of photos so you can see what the car looked like with the 42mm 17X7's and rolled fenders.

As you can see on the photos of the car with the rooftop box and the bikes, th car is not much lower than without all that stuff. I also had my two toddlers and a hat-full of camping stuff.

Attachments

• DSC00360.JPG
    DSC00360.JPG
    323.8 KB · Views: 215
  • DSC00363.JPG
    DSC00363.JPG
    296.7 KB · Views: 136
  • 101-0122_IMG.JPG
    101-0122_IMG.JPG
    171.4 KB · Views: 156
  • DSC00680.jpg
    DSC00680.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 153
  • DSC00681.jpg
    DSC00681.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 152
Demo,

Hey, your ride looks wicked with those rims...that's the kind of rim I was looking for, except in silver...nice!

I have the Illuminas with the MeGaN springs. I have since changed my wheels but I previously had, on the car, (P5) a set of 17X7 rims with the 42 mm offset and they rubbed the rear right fender like crazy. The left rear only when heavily loaded. I had to roll my fenders to keep that from happening...even with the MeGaN and Illuminas.

I'm not going to lie to you, this setup is quite a bit stiffer and doesn't lower the ride too much but even then, with a fully loaded car, the rear wheels tuck and, had I not rolled the fenders, they would rub.

The recommended offset for a wheel width of 8" is 48mm or more. There is a post somewhere "Rishi's fitment guide" or something of the sort; you could get the same answer there if our 'warnings' don't...uhmmn...make sense.

No matter what suspension you get, with the exception of a super stiff, full racing set-up, the tires will tuck and rub unless you exchange the wheels or do some serious rolling. If you're going to do the rolling bit, I'd recommend taking it to a shop to have them do it professionally.

I did the fender rolling myself and I don't think you'll be able to get the amount of rolling needed with my method...a bat. I've included a couple of photos so you can see what the car looked like with the 42mm 17X7's and rolled fenders.

As you can see on the photos of the car with the rooftop box and the bikes, th car is not much lower than without all that stuff. I also had my two toddlers and a hat-full of camping stuff.

What tire size and amount of drop are you currently running. I plan on dropping mine myself however I have 17x7 40mm offset with 17/45/17 rubbers on it or it maybe 40 can't recall right off the top of my head.

definitely rub with those. Those are too wide for the P5. If you want to drop you will have to change wheels. I don't even think rolling would help you seem to be beyond the fender. Post a side profile shot.

Picture #1:Rear wheel

Its hard to tell, but there is about 2" of clearance. With about 900lbs of people excluding me (700lbs{3} in the back, 200lbs{1} in the front) I rubbed my tire. Exactly at the point of 2 1/2 inches.

Picture #2: A side view of my baby!

Picture #3:Front wheel

Its hard to tell, but there is about 2 1/2" of clearance. Im not too worried about my fronts. Will the same amount of people, i didnt rub at all.

Picture #4:Side view of my front wheel

Picture #5: Back view of my baby!

My Conclusion: I wont be able to tuck my wheels fully underneath my fender, but i do think i have enough clearance for a drop on the RacingBeat Springs. Im looking for as minimum drop as possible. Plus, I think with the added stiffness of my rear springs, I will have better support when it comes to weight in the rear end. Oh and just as a reminder....I can tell my springs are wearing out cuz theres a bit of float of bumps, so thats part of the reason i had rubbed.

Any ideas? Does anybody agree with Racingbeat springs? Would Eibachs be stiffer?

Attachments

• P32800021.JPG
    P32800021.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 123
  • P32800031.JPG
    P32800031.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 121
  • P32800041.JPG
    P32800041.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 119
  • P32800051.JPG
    P32800051.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 129
  • P3280013.JPG
    P3280013.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 134
you can drop it, but if you take any sort of hard corners or bumps, it'll rub like a mo-fo.

Back