headlight restoration experiment

protojason

Contributor
:
1999 Miata, emerald green mica
This is just a copy of a post I left on autopia.org, thought some of you may find it interesting, or chime in with your experiences.

First a disclamer, I'm not sure how long results last, nor if anything harmful is being done...just tried this on a whim tonight.

A quick search here did not reveal this to be some common autopian knowlege that I was missing out on...

A paintless dent repair guy mentioned to me that automatic transmission fluid cleans up plastic headlights easily. Not having any ATF on hand, I tried what I did have on hand, power steering fluid.

Nothing more than dabbing it on a rag, then rubbing. See the pics.

Being a skeptic, I then just used a wet rag and water. There were similar results on a 'half and half' while wet, but when I dried up the water with the rag it was foggy again.

Maybe the powersteering fluid is just coating it making it appear clear...., but the results were near instantaneous...would not be hard to do even if it only lasts a month.

Who knows how long it will last, but it's a definite improvement that took no time at all.

On to the pics.

--Jason

pic 1 - first car, original state
pic 2 - first car, half and half
pic 3 - first car, finished.

pic 4 - second car, original state
pic 5 - second car, half and half (did the inside half this time...poor choice on my part i think)
pic 6 - second car, finished.

Whatcha folks think?
(i know...neither of those cars are my pro5....but i thought parents/girlfriends cars would be better test mules than my baby)

Attachments

• headlight 001a.jpg
    headlight 001a.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 138
  • headlight 002b.jpg
    headlight 002b.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 165
  • headlight 004a.jpg
    headlight 004a.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 163
  • headlight 005a.jpg
    headlight 005a.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 151
  • headlight 006a.jpg
    headlight 006a.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 142
Typically, it looks nicer, but you are actually removing the plastic coating. It'll just get worse over time. You aren't even supposed to polish your headlights because it causes minor scratches in the plastic that allows for the 'fogging' to occur.

Yeah, what he said ^^^^^ BUT, once it is foggy this will get you by for awhile til you can get new ones. I think they have specific juice for that at the auto parts in little hand wipe towelette things IIRC.

Back