245/45-16 Hankooks, FD rims, Pro5

xelderx

Zoom Zoom Boom X 3
I just finished mounting up new tires on the Pro5. I've been running 225/45-16 Hankook Z212s on FD 16X8 rims. I always thought the 225s looked a little stretched on the 8" rim. I figured if I could fit a 245/45-16 under the Pro5 I would be one step closer to getting the 275 Hoosiers I plan on running this AutoX season.

For starters, my current suspension setup is AWR coilovers with Koni inserts. I swapped to an 8" spring on the rear struts to move the spring adjuster up above the tire for clearence. The fronts still use the stock 10" spring. I'm using a 3mm spacer on the rear hubs and a 15mm hubcentric spacer on the front hubs. Spring rates are currently 350F/450R, but I'll be going up to at least 450F/575R in the coming weeks.

I had to grind off a little of the threaded sleeve for the hieght adjustment on the rear struts since the tire was barely rubbing it. Other than that everything bolted right up with no issues. Strangely enough there are no rubbing issues in the rear fenders. I figured my rear springrate would be high enough to keep the tire from getting too far into the fender. The fronts are rubbing under hard compression. There is a screw that holds the plastic inner fender to the metal outer fender near the outside of the tire that sticks out just far enough to be in the way. I'm hoping that the higher front springrate I'll be getting will keep the front end from compressing too far. Other than that, full lock either way and no rubbing. That was my main concern since these Kooks have a taller sidewall than I'm used to running. I have more confidence in the 275/35-15 tires fitting with minimal rubbing issues now.

The wheel/tire setup is a little heavier and I can tell it's slowed acceleration down a little. The steering is also a little heavier. There is a noticable amount of extra grip over the 225 Kooks, but I'll need a little more time with them to really dial them in. Right now the taller sidewall and new tread makes the tires feel a little more wallowy than I'm used to.

Pictures....you can see in the 3rd pic where I had to clearence the threaded sleeve on the strut a little. It's still very close. The fourth picture shows where the front is rubbing. There is supposed to be a screw holing that little bit of plastic up. i'm going to try and find some very flat headed screws to keep them as far out of the way as possible.

Attachments

• IMG_1083.JPG
    IMG_1083.JPG
    581.6 KB · Views: 11,085
  • IMG_1084.JPG
    IMG_1084.JPG
    530.1 KB · Views: 1,129
  • IMG_1085.JPG
    IMG_1085.JPG
    261.6 KB · Views: 928
  • IMG_1087.JPG
    IMG_1087.JPG
    232.8 KB · Views: 732
Last edited:
pics dude! Pics!!

Hey man, i'm coming down to high point at the end of the month to see some fam. If I can break away, I'll holla. I would definelty want to check out your car.

This is very cool stuff. I'm dying to get a bigger tire on my MP3. Did you work at a larger tire back when you had stock springs/suspension? Where did you get the hubcentric spacers? I need to buy new tires very soon, so you have me excited about getting larger ones in there. Thanks for being a pioneer!

SlowPro98 said:
pics dude! Pics!!

Hey man, i'm coming down to high point at the end of the month to see some fam. If I can break away, I'll holla. I would definelty want to check out your car.

I'll be around man, just send me a message and let me know.

Little Beavis said:
This is very cool stuff. I'm dying to get a bigger tire on my MP3. Did you work at a larger tire back when you had stock springs/suspension? Where did you get the hubcentric spacers? I need to buy new tires very soon, so you have me excited about getting larger ones in there. Thanks for being a pioneer!

It's been several years since I've run stock suspension pieces. I didn't get any bigger tham 225/50-15s then. The lower spring perches on the stock struts get in the way. I got my hubcentrics spacers off Ebay. They were made for a Maxima I believe. I had to machine them down a little on the lathe so not a direct bolt on.

Beavis, every time I've needed hubcentric rings, discount tire's pulled through. The only thing you need to give them is the center bore of the wheel. They only sell metal (aluminum?) rings, and they don't get brittle / warp as easily as the plastic rings most places sell. They're something like $17 shipped.

Wow saw the pics.. that looks AWESOME. 245 on P5 = sex!

You said you ran 225s on stock suspension pieces? wow nice. I'll have to look into something in a 225 for my next tire/wheel changing time.

wow, there is NO cleareance left, that is awsome

i bet she handles like no tomorrow

I've driven it a little more today. There are a few rubbing issues under hard bumps. I'll be upping the spring rates and that should cure most of the problem. If it still rubs I'll just have to work the fenders out a little more. It's nothing major. It takes a hell of a bump in the back to make it rub. Once I get the springs swapped the front spring will be 2 inches shorter and up out of the way. That will allow me to reduce the hubcentric spacer a little. That might be enough to tuck the front tires far enough away from the fener to clear that stupid little tab.

There is a lot more grip, but i've had to sacrifice a little acceleration for it. The gearing is a little longer now. I'm still getting used to how the car feels in a turn so I don't have my full confidence back yet. Give me a few weeks and I'll have it dialed in a little better.

Kansei said:
Wow saw the pics.. that looks AWESOME. 245 on P5 = sex!

You said you ran 225s on stock suspension pieces? wow nice. I'll have to look into something in a 225 for my next tire/wheel changing time.

I think I mis-typed that. 215 was the biggest on stock struts and springs. Anything bigger than that needed higher springrates to keep the suspension from compressing too far.

yeah my goldline springs deeefinitely don't provide that. I'm thinkin 215/40 or 215/45 for my next tires.. or maybe just going back to the stock wheels or somethin I dunno yet.

Good god.

I'm lowering my car soon, but after that I'm going to try to get 225/45s on my 17x7.5x48mm offset rims. Not sure how it'll jive.

Kooldino said:
Good god.

I'm lowering my car soon, but after that I'm going to try to get 225/45s on my 17x7.5x48mm offset rims. Not sure how it'll jive.

let me know how that works out for you.. lol that doesn't sound like it'll fly at all.

Justin, those look MEAN. And in the best way! I'm still amazed people ran those tires on stockish suspensions. It certainly seems like it'd be a tough fit. I'm going to try and fit 225/50/16s when I get new tires... hopefully it'll work.

I can't wait to see the 275/35/15 Hoosiers. I wonder if those will have the steering feel of a tank :D

Kooldino said:
Good god.

That should be possible. Isn't that what the Tripoint Proteges were running?

Well that just throws the fitment recipe right out the window!! I jest as you have made the necessary upgrades to do this and I must also say....good god that is awesome! 245's on an 8" rim...something I would have never pondered....looking forward to seeing those 275's!

RedHotP5 said:
Well that just throws the fitment recipe right out the window!! I jest as you have made the necessary upgrades to do this and I must also say....good god that is awesome! 245's on an 8" rim...something I would have never pondered....looking forward to seeing those 275's!

It throws the fitment recipe out the window if you don't mind grinding on $800 a piece coilovers and hitting the fender with a big hammer! (drive2)

Latest posts

Back