A New Prot 5 Owner

Hey all!

Just picked up a 2002 Prot 5 after losing my mazda 3 in the breakup!

Of course, I am comparing the two cars mercilessly, and am noticing that once in a while the gear shift pops out of 3rd gear.....Now it happens during the shifting procedure so I am wondering if my hand is pulling it out (I always have my hand on the gear shift) or it is actually popping out. Any ideas on this?

So far, I love the way this car handles but I certainly miss the 18 horses.....

Anyway, feel free to brag about the prot 5 since I need convincing that it is gonna be just as good if not better than the 3:):)

Can you give me some opinions on reliability of these cars too:)

Thanks all...Hope to come back often !

Yeah the 3 is faster but the 5 has that pimped out elongated look as for your other ? check out the how section of the forum

newprot5fan said:
Hey all!

Just picked up a 2002 Prot 5 after losing my mazda 3 in the breakup!

Of course, I am comparing the two cars mercilessly, and am noticing that once in a while the gear shift pops out of 3rd gear.....Now it happens during the shifting procedure so I am wondering if my hand is pulling it out (I always have my hand on the gear shift) or it is actually popping out. Any ideas on this?

So far, I love the way this car handles but I certainly miss the 18 horses.....

Anyway, feel free to brag about the prot 5 since I need convincing that it is gonna be just as good if not better than the 3:):)

Can you give me some opinions on reliability of these cars too:)

Thanks all...Hope to come back often !

Welcome to the forum! As for the popping out of gear... your third gear synchro is shot. Hopefully you got it from a dealer so you can take it back and get it fixed.

Some pics of the new toy

Here's a shot of the new purchase!

However, I am hearing a noise from the right rear wheel when braking....Sounds like something is grinding every time the wheel rotates..could a pad be out of line?

Attachments

• IMG_0446_1_1_1.JPG
    IMG_0446_1_1_1.JPG
    336.3 KB · Views: 117
newprot5fan said:
Here's a shot of the new purchase!

However, I am hearing a noise from the right rear wheel when braking....Sounds like something is grinding every time the wheel rotates..could a pad be out of line?

You're pad is hanging up on the caliper and not fully disengaging. If you are hearing a grinding sound, chances are the pad is pretty much gone. If your car wasn't red I'd think it was my old one that I traded in last January. When mine had the grinding, I bought cross drilled rotors and pads from ebay for like $250 and replaced the brakes on all four wheels. The fronts and left rear had probably 50% of the pads left, the right rear was just the steel backplate with no pad whatsoever. They key is to not use stock pads, and be sure to use a wire brush and get all the rust off from the glide clips and grease them up good.

welcome to the board.......nice seeing a red P5. Don't see many of them on the road! at least up here in the North East!

-R

Hey thanks all...

Yeah, I have only seen one red one here in Halifax, NS....

As for the noise, when I got the car, all new pads were put on...but when the breakes are applied, they aren;t quiet...you can hear the brakes working...but latley from the right rear, it sounds like something is out of line because it is rythmic (like one certain part of the pad or clipping something)

Anyway, this is my first used car and after having a 2004 mazda 3, I am listening for any weird noise so maybe I'm a bit paranoid, but I certainly hear a rythmic noise when the brakes are applied.

Also, I am noticing what looks like water dripping from where the front pipe attached to the exhaust. Now I haven;t used the A/C at all....is this normal?

OTher than that, I really like the car...

I turned down the extended warranty because I really couldn;t afford it so I am keeping my fingers crossed. So, anyone have any real issues with their P5? This is the 2002 and has only 55,000KM on it.

Who has driven or even owned both a P5 and a 3? I'm curious as to how others compare the 2.

GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

welcome welcome...I love my P5, i could never cheat on it with a 3..55K for a 2002 thats cool beans....i got my 03' with 28,000...welcome, you can find justabout anything in these forums

Welcome to the Forums. I got my 02 P5 with 38K on the odo and it's run like a champ. I've owned it for a little over a year and am about to hit 70K on it. Nothing apart from oil changes and brake pads. I'm getting some shimmy in the steering wheel under hard braking so it's time for new front rotors too. Just wear and tear stuff you know. Car runs like a champ and has been bulletproof otherwise apart from a few annoying rattles. the 3 is going to be faster and pull harder. But the P5 looks 10x better and has that extra little bit of driving feel that the 3 lost. Both excellent cars though. Enjoy it!

newprot5fan said:
Hey thanks all...

Also, I am noticing what looks like water dripping from where the front pipe attached to the exhaust. Now I haven;t used the A/C at all....is this normal?

Congrats on the new car. The P5's styling is aging better than the 3's so you can take that to the bank. Well, the figuratve bank anyway.

If you've been running the HVAC in one of the two defrost settings with the fan speed above the first setting the A/C is automatically engaged, even if the light isn't on. So I bet you've been inadvertantly using the A/C.

hhhmmm..maybe that is it...Just coincidence maybe that the leak is in the spot where they said the seal was bad! SO then it is normal to have water dripping from under the car even when no A/C is turned on?

I love this car..

I need advice on shortening the throw though...someone I know just hacked some of the gear shift off...Is that reccomended? I can't imagine it would do much other than make it harder to shift:)..

So, I have had it up to highway speeds around here (120km/hr), but does thie car feel good at going about 140km/hr on hiways like the 401?

COME ON TIGERS!!!!

Back