Joe's FP Reducer kit works!!!!

boostisgood said:
dont remove that one. Youll rattle the hell outta the hood, and dent and warp it.
Not to mention- your engine bay will get extremely dirty from teh road dirt and such :)..
Joe

ok joe,
just ordered the kit.

now, was there a thread here about the installation of the FPR?

also i will be installing turbo gauge at the same time,
which one of the two pipes should i connect the FPR kit to,
and which one should i use for BG?

thanks

I just pulled mine off and it tooke like 5 mins. We'll see what it does, maybe it will help the heat a little

2003 Black Mica Mazdaspeed Protege #1136

I think the vents in the wings west evo hood would help the heat

CRDMS1 said:

Much thanks for the reply. I'll be 'modding' my car as soon as I get home.

Yes, this car gets extremely hot under the hood. I think that's one reason the SR intakes w/o heat shielding exhibit some power loss at higher temps. It makes sense that removing the weather strip will improve air flow some and allow an escape path for the hottest air. Thanks for the cheap mods Joe!

Peace...(hippy)

Damn right! Living in DFW, I know that my car gets hot as hell under there. I may be removing the rear weather strip once I get a good idea of what it may affect. I would think that while moving, the only effect would be that hot air gets pushed out. Standing still, water falls in.

LOL. I guess I'll just drive really fast until it stops raining around here :)

Seriously anyone, can you put the piece back on after removing it or do those little plastic clips break when you take them out?

Peace...(hippy)

LinuxRacr said:

Damn right! Living in DFW, I know that my car gets hot as hell under there. I may be removing the rear weather strip once I get a good idea of what it may affect. I would think that while moving, the only effect would be that hot air gets pushed out. Standing still, water falls in.

If you look at the cowl, the only way water would really get in there is if it was coming straight down, then turn in at the last minute :).. There really is no way for it to get in. If it does, it would just run down, not get all over the engine or anything. We have been doing this for years with all types of cars and water has never been an issue :).. Even my first Talon ever- it originally got so hot that I had a 3" long burn on my neck from hitting the prop rod after opening the hood- yanked it off and I was able to hold the prop rod in my hand after that.
Joe

just put in the kit with the injen and it was maybe even easier than with the stock air box. I just poked a hole in the strap that connects the MAF to the pipe going to the turbo. everything else was the same. you might want to get a longer piece of hose if you plan on having both mods and want to run the hose more hidden.

Attachments

• dsc00235.jpg
    dsc00235.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 236
all around very pleased with the performance and ease of install of Joe's kit. No noticeable power loss like some were saying. Still has the 4500 hesitation even with the Injen. But overall much smoother throughout the entire band. Thanks Joe, and to anyone who might get this kit: DO IT, it's only 25 bucks and will only do good.

I'm gonna chip in my two cents, too. Just installed the FPR kit today after work. The car ran so much better, I drove it around for about an hour, just enjoying the way it performs. San Antonio is 96 degrees this time of year, and it's unusually humid for us right now, so the car has been falling flat in the upper RPM ranges, especially at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. Well, after the kit, it's almost a continuous rush of acceleration.

I usually shift by feel, that is, I don't look at the tach much, I shift when it feels right. After I installed the kit, I noticed that my 'just driving around' shift point from 4th to 5th had increased by 10 miles an hour. Before the kit, my "feel right" shift point was 50 MPH. Tonight I noticed that when I shifted at that point I was now doing 60 MPH. The car is that much smoother.

Nailing the throttle through the gears, or just mashing it down to accelerate on the freeway, the car performs better in all conditions.

Thanks Joe.

CRDMS1 said:
LOL. I guess I'll just drive really fast until it stops raining around here :)

Seriously anyone, can you put the piece back on after removing it or do those little plastic clips break when you take them out?

Peace...(hippy)

I just VERY CAREFULLY pulled the weather strip off of the rivets, leaving them in the car so I dont loose them. then just took some small peices of black electrical tape (small sissor cut squares for a clean look) and put them over the rivets to keep them intact and also to keep them from moving around in the hole. the tape was a perfict color match and makes the rivets & holes invisible. cant really even tell that the tape is there at all. one thing i would do though, is replase the weather strip in the winter so that u do not "heat shock" the windsheild and cause it to crack. and dont worry about rain getting in there. some water will get in there even if u have the weather strip, but with the way that the plastis part that ur wipers are on is shaped it will divert most of it to the drain points anyway.

DaKidd said:

I just VERY CAREFULLY pulled the weather strip off of the rivets, leaving them in the car so I dont loose them. then just took some small peices of black electrical tape (small sissor cut squares for a clean look) and put them over the rivets to keep them intact and also to keep them from moving around in the hole. the tape was a perfict color match and makes the rivets & holes invisible. cant really even tell that the tape is there at all. one thing i would do though, is replase the weather strip in the winter so that u do not "heat shock" the windsheild and cause it to crack. and dont worry about rain getting in there. some water will get in there even if u have the weather strip, but with the way that the plastis part that ur wipers are on is shaped it will divert most of it to the drain points anyway.

Thanks for the great advice. I carefully removed mine and you can definitely feel alot of heat venting out of this area after a long drive (unscientific hand-thermocouple method). This has to help the underhood temps, even if only by a few degrees.

Peace...(hippy)

505zoom said:
anyone with A/F gauge notice how much the kit lowered the readings?

I would like to hear some responses to this question as well. Surely someone with a WB or AF gauge has the numbers. Anyone?

Peace...(hippy)

Forgot to note in my post above that I also removed the weatherstrip on the back of the hood. I used a pair of needle nosed pliers to squeeze the little plastic tabs together under the metal weatherstripping mounting plate while pulling on them from above, and they came right out, still attached to the weatherstrip. So if I ever need to reinstall it, I just lay the weatherstrip on the plate, and pop the plastic bullets back into their holes. And no need for electrical tape. :)

Also, it rained like a cow pissing on a flat rock here for the next two days after I removed the weatherstrip, and, after driving around in it extensively, I checked under the hood and could see no water on the engine.

Ever since I put the FPR on it runs smoother but the turbo seems to kick in later...
Before, I would here it start to spool at 2000rpm and then to full scream at 4500rpm.
Now I don't hear anything untill the 4500rpm scream? Any reasons????
And the ussual power that I had from 2000-4000rpm is gone.
It seems like I have to wind it out more just to get goin...
Anybody else have this??
Thanks.

are you running an MBC also? I installe dmy MBC and it seems power delivery happens much later, especially after shifting. Almost as though it's taking a lot longer to spool up. If you have the MBC I bet that is whats causing your problems.

Latest posts

Back