Installing Chromiums

WetsuitxNinja

:
Mz3
Wow what a hassle to get them lined up straight and you have to drill a hole for the wire to go through in your housing....wasnt too thrilled about drilling on it...

Putting the headlights together right now, I still need to run wires etc. blaH

Too much work, if I had to do it again I wouldnt have bought these.
(edit, after having them for a few weeks, I couldnt see NOT having these, they are worth the time, just make sure to pay attention to details... no fingerprints on the inside of the housing, DO NOT USE PAPER TOWELS ON THE INSIDE OF YOUR LENS, it will put tiny scratches on it that are barely visible but in the right light at the right angle you will see them. Run and secure wires nicely etc....)

Last edited:
Demon/Angel eyes, they are the big brother to the thinlines....they came out pretty damn nice....pic from my phone

Attachments

• dde.jpg
    dde.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 448
I was trying to figure out how to wire them up for most of the time. I settled on finding a remote turn on wire, the same I used for my amps and HU, ran a relay instead of drawing power from the ignition source, so now when I turn my key on ACC they light up kind of like daytime running lights. the tutorial I had read the guy had used their foglight mod to turn it on...

-Only broke a hose that was for the winsheild washer fluid, either that or a rat got to it, cant really tell, so now I get to buy a little length of that hose, and a coupler and fix that tomorrow.

-Total of 7 hours to complete, taking breaks to drink with my friends, and go to in and out.

one of the pics is why I love california. A few weeks ago the swell of the decade came, pic of my buddy at aliso creek...back on topic...in the day my camera phone sucks capturing the sexyness of the dde's

Attachments

• DDE.jpg
    DDE.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 341
  • tristan-aliso2.jpg
    tristan-aliso2.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 213
well it looks like im going to have to reseal them, I washed my car and as soon as I dried it off I noticed some fog inside the light. Frustrating.

A few more, it looks like my low beam is on but it isnt... these things are pretty bright. I resealed the housing, and sprayed it with a hose after driving a bit just like before, no fog this time... (thumb)

+++If you take your housing apart and clean the inside of the lens, for the love of god DO NOT USE A PAPER TOWEL. I made this mistake on one of them, now there are little swirl scratches that can be seen if you are anal about that kind of stuff, and only in the right light. Probably going to order a new housing ($ouch$) sooner or later

Thanks for the compliments guys. I now feel my car is worthy of taking pictures and posting them, only took me a month lol. Who wants to see stock mz3s anyways.

Mod list
-Simota SRI
-Vibrant Exhaust
-Nokya yellow fogs
-Kartboy knob, still debating on a short shifter, I did not like the notchyness of the TWM I had on my p5...
-Kenwood 25th Anniversary headunit
-Nine.1 and 12" RE XXX
-Kicker Kx250.2 and PG xenon 6.5 comps, (not installed yet)
-Chromium DDE's

-Soon to come: two tone leather from the stealership...silver and black perhaps with a mazda M embroydered in the headrest??
-A header that fits (vibrant probably)

WHAT NEXT?!?!

Attachments

• IMGP1384.JPG
    IMGP1384.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 262
  • IMGP1385.JPG
    IMGP1385.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:
wow dude those are nice.
now, whats the difference from the thinlines? at first sight i think is just brightness.
i actually think these are too bright, in the pictures from far it looks like your headlights are on. i rather you can distinguish the halo from the headlight.
oh well
great work man.
how much did you pay?

These are just wider and brighter than the thinlines... less likely to break when putting them in. They cost $150. I am wondering if I could add a resistor or something in the wires after the ballast to dim them down. During the daytime they look perfect, and I think the flash from my camera is what caused them to look like my headlights are on

Few more pics

Little better camera

Attachments

• IMGP1435.JPG
    IMGP1435.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 180
  • IMGP1439.JPG
    IMGP1439.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 227
  • IMGP1440.JPG
    IMGP1440.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 191
  • IMGP1441.JPG
    IMGP1441.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 182
Hey, I have a few questions about these. I dont know if you have seen my thread in the lounge, but I am either getting these or the progress anti-roll kit. I noticed the first post said if you were to do it over again, you wouldnt have gotten these. Still feel the same? Also, when you have the headlights taken apart, is it possible to take out that amber reflector???

Some people took the deflector out, I looked at it but not with alot of effort, I didnt want to break anything, it looked like a plastic lip on the orange holdinging it in.

-At the time I wasnt sure how it would look, I absolutely love them... It is still sort of tedious work, and if I had to do it again, I would only put the halo's on the high beams, just to refrain from drilling a hole on each housing. I didnt see a place to pass the wire for the low beam so I couldnt see much other choice. Some members on mazda3forums have taken that orange reflector out. I still may end up doing so. I have the urge to repaint the black part of the housing the same color as my car, like the corvettes, and if I dont like it I can always re-paint it black again.

At the time I was frustrated because I opted to run a relay to turn my amps and dde's on, I took my time and ran it all nice, but made the wires too tight and instead of just cutting a hole in my grommet I pulled part of the grommet out and just pushed the wires through, retarded move. few minutes go by and my hu, amps, and dde's go off, the wires got cut from how I ran them through the firewall. I was pissed because that grommet is REAL thick and I had a dull ass razor trying to get through it, and gave up and went half assed, which then led to more work in a short time.

looks very nice. i still have my thinlines sitting here waiting for winter to end so i can install them.

Back