Got my DG front lip installed

mopiko

Contributor
After several weeks of waiting for the body shop to ready and a week of life without my Protege5 I finally got it back from the shop with the DG motorsports lip installed....

BTW my Pro5 got hit by a deer and I was waiting for my insurance company to clear the claim that's why it took them so long....

But without further adue, here are some pictures of my "new" car!!!

Attachments

• carwithlip1.jpg
    carwithlip1.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 760
another one.... :D sorry I don't know how to just attach the picture on the message body...

Attachments

• carwithlip2.jpg
    carwithlip2.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 504
Yet another one.... :D Thank you for your understanding... :rolleyes:

Attachments

• carwithlip3.jpg
    carwithlip3.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 438
Looks real nice!!! Is you car lower? how's the fitment of that DGM lip? I heard the kit only come with 2 small screws,was it enough to hold it in place? cause i want that lip along with my Eibach springs,but be able to take it off during winter time cause of the snow. how much did they charge you for paint and install? Thanks

That looks hot!:)
i assume that's the fibreglass version since it's complety painted.
It's probably lower then what the picture shows. Any clearance problems at all? What did they use to install it other then the 2 screws? I assume there's double sided tape in there as well?

CTpro5, i don't believe you can take off a lip after it's been installed just for winter. I'm not saying it's impossible, but because it's going to be held with more then just 2 screws, it will be a hassle to do it every season.
His car is lowered for sure, that can't be stock height.

thats looks awesome, i plan on getting the urethane lip (think i'd bottom it out even un-lowered!) for durability.

Yes it is the fiberglass version of the lip since they were running the "special" $300 shipped when I got it...

It's a little different then what you might think, I got it installed while my body shop was fixing my car from deer damage, the bumper you see here is brand new, so what they did was mount the lip on with glue and such and then painted everything at the same time, so to me, I can't un-install it, even if I do, my bumper will be part unpainted part painted.

Yes, my car is lowered 2" at the front and 1.5" at the back with TEIN S-TECH, bottome out problem? oh yes, when I was trying to get out from the body shop they have a dip (standard crub height smoothed out) and my friend were spotting me, they said at one point I only have 2-3 cm clearence!!! So definitely be very very careful driving around, I think I'll go look for some type of bumper protector plastic to tape it underneath so I won't damage the paint....

Funny you mention the 2 screws but I can't find any screw with my lip... maybe the body shop found it and mount it on without telling me.... hummm....

Oh yes, one more thing about clearance, I have a speed bump at my apartment complex and I cleared it fine, hope this help...

Once New Jersey decided to stop raining I'll take some picture on more level ground than this, as you can see here the puddle of water is the dip so it look higher then it really is...

Thanks everyone for your complement!

Just an update to all of you I buttomed out this morning when I pull in to my weekend job's basement parking garage, twice! I'm starting to feel helpless as I'll have to do it once a week, hopefully I'll be able to find some protecting plastic to stick on underneath because more damage is done...

Damn that suck!! I feel you pain man. How strong are that lip? I wonder how everyone else drive with their DG Lip.

Mopiko, when you mean bottom out, do you mean you scrap or do you actually hit it hard?
If you scrap, i think all you have to worry about it the paint. You probably already took off a bit of paint and soon you will take off even more. It's not visible wheny ou look directly at the lip, so i wouldn't worry too much. On the other hand, if you actually HIT the lip as you do down a steep driveway, then i suggest you try to angle your way down or take it VERY slow.

As bad as the scrap may sound, it's really not that bad. My sister has a prelude with the WW R.S kit and i've touched the lip a few times and everytime i look underneath it, it's VERY minor. If you know you're going to scrap, just take it VERY slow and therefore, the damages will be less serious.

is it possible for a stock suspension p5 to bottom out with this front lip? i don't do high-speed thru driveway inclines etc... even with no front lip i worry about it sometimes

Yes Limited Edition, I just scrap it and it just took a little bit of the paint off, when I leave the garage I carefully took it at an angle and I cleared it fine.

Well, with the stock suspension you still need to take precaution as some driveway are really steep, althoug I don't see much problem with you dosle with the stock setup. But do take precaution and take driveways slow and at an angle, also consider finding a metal skidplate for your lip's buttom as if you hit the lip it won't cause as much of a damage to your bumper because if your lip get caught at the dip it will rip your bumper with it...

garage.jpg

They tried to tell me to park on that A21 spot on the lift, I was like ..... NO WAY DUDE!!! I will buttom out!!...:confused: :confused:

clearence.jpg

This is how much clearence I have from the ground :cool:

What kind of parking spot is A21???
Seriously? Is that even a spot? Who parks on those things?
Anyway, your car looks sweet from the 1st picture.

What made you go with DG rather then Autoexe?
How much did you pay for everything?

They use the one you see on the picture to fit two cars in one spot in New York... The first one would park on that ramp, than the owner will rise the ramp up to fit another car underneath, I said A21 only because I thought you'd be able to see the number on the wall behind the ramp.

I went with DG mainly because they were running a special of $300USD with shipping for the fiberglass one. I was planning to go with Carbon Fiber lip that DG make but decided to saved a little for fiberglass, the one Autoexe is made from urthene(bad spelling) and fiberglass to my knowledge is lighter (not that it really matters)

It turned out that the DG one I have fits perfectly without any addition sanding and molding unlike the Autoexe one someone from this forum is installing, just luck I guess... I got it installed while my body shop was fixing my body from a deer damage and they charged one $250 for paint matching and installing, coating and stuff.... It look really clean after the install but I'd agree it's a bit much for labor.

The lip spoiler definitely looks HOT! I plan on getting the AutoExe janx soon. Great color P5 if I don't say so myself!

Cool, but why not DG? Ain't their's a little cheaper? But anyway if AutoExe is the one you choose it will definitely looks hot!

OT: Now i know what my brother meant when he told me what those car lift in the parking lot is all about in Japan. I believe they have the same car lifts in Japan, but i never pictured it to be that way. I thought it would be bigger. My brother also mentioned that there are upwards of 4 cars in one of those lifts sometimes.

How safe is that ramp or lift? Doesn't look like it can lift a car. I guess one must apply the Handbrake and parking (shift into gear for manual) for sure.

I agree that $250 is quite a bit as well. But then again, bodyshops make up a price according to how they feel or their mood. There's no set price and it varies on time and if they feel like doing your job. I had similar experience with a spoiler i wanted to paint and they charged me $150Can just for paint and install. what a rip.

The design of the lift pictures has a little dip at the back that you can lock your wheels in, then the thing lift the car up via a hydroic pistons on both sides to lift it, these kind of lift has the capacity to lift an big SUV (navigator, excursion type) but I guess they don't lift SUV for safety reasons.

It's popular in the cities' parking lot since it save space and able to fit more cars in the lot to make more money...

Well, as per the install I really can't complain since they already have the paint mixed matched, I got different quote from $200 all the way to $350 so $250 here I guess is not that big of a deal, it will just take more time for me to save for my next parts...

Nothing wrong at all with the DG. My decision to go with the AutoExe has mainly to do with the materials used (urethane vs fiberglass). I think the urethane may be more durable for my use, but the cost difference is a pill I have to swallow.

Back