HiBoost install - Greddy Type-S + BPV (no 56k)

Awesome man.. Thanks for the extra pictures. How far down did you cut the recirc pipe on the Injen?

TigrMsP said:
Awesome man.. Thanks for the extra pictures. How far down did you cut the recirc pipe on the Injen?

A couple of inches before the first 90 degree bend. I kept it about 3-4 inches long.

Should I reset my ECU? I never unplugged the battery during install.

Also, with my mods....what boost can I safely run while wanting to accelerate as fast as possible (i.e. the track)? I have the HKS EVC III with two settings for boost. Right now under full boost the Digital Boost controller mas reading shows around 8.0 psi. That is while on setting "A". This is my everyday driving setting, but I never use all of my boost. Average acceleration might use 6psi if I had to guess. So what should I set setting "B" to? Do I just turn the "B knob" up on the HKS and drive it under full boost and see what my max value reads as...then adjust accordingly? Anyway....thanks for the help.

Yes you should reset the ECU. Any time you make a change to the engine to add air or fuel, you must reset the ECU. Hiboost says 12psi is safe, but I would say 10psi. I was at 12psi and I blew my engine. If you have upgraded the exhaust 12psi should be ok. If you have exhaust system, no higher than 10psi.

hello2000 said:
Yes you should reset the ECU. Any time you make a change to the engine to add air or fuel, you must reset the ECU. Hiboost says 12psi is safe, but I would say 10psi. I was at 12psi and I blew my engine. If you have upgraded the exhaust 12psi should be ok. If you have exhaust system, no higher than 10psi.

I will probably go 10 just to be safe. I want to see if it pulls. Right now I am investigating a deep-sounding clunk around 3000 RPM while accelerating. It almost sounds as if my intake is choaking....its doesnt sound like metal on metal or any other physical clunk. It is quiet but noticable with no radio. Happens only so often.

muohio said:
I'm so glad everything worked out for you. You got a good deal on the kit ;)

Thank you. The Large "U" pipe was lined with rusty material which was said to be from the chroming process. Some say it was becuase of the mild steel used, rusting early. Other than that, the kit was great. Trying to tune the Greddy, still get gobble sometimes....Greddy too tight I think. Once I do that and put a grill in front of my FMIC then I will be ok!

chwood said:
yeah his car is gorgeous - I saw it this weekend
the rims are QUITE delicious

Thanks Chris. Hope the hardpipes work out well for ya. I like your adjectives gorgeous and delicious...haha. Almost like you work for Victoria's Secret or something.......
(boobs) (hump)
...you damn pimp you.

CasopoliS said:
Thanks Chris. Hope the hardpipes work out well for ya. I like your adjectives gorgeous and delicious...haha. Almost like you work for Victoria's Secret or something.......
(boobs) (hump)
...you damn pimp you.
hahahaha

(naughty)

I will gladly scavange parts off your ride when you upgrade

CasopoliS said:
So how is the GTO? Do you have any plans for it? Pics?
It's going to stay a stock GTO for awhile. If only I had $3k for a super charger kit. Almost everyone is getting close to 450-500whp with one.

muohio said:
It's going to stay a stock GTO for awhile. If only I had $3k for a super charger kit. Almost everyone is getting close to 450-500whp with one.

Damn. Like those numbers. How is the drive? Shifting solid?
I have heard SC's kill gas mileage. Is there a way to disable the SC? Just curious.....I never looked into these much. Good luck with it man.

i tried to do that heat shield thing today, couldnt get it chrome shiny like that, mine just looks like brushd aluminum ahha, still looks better though.

raku said:
i tried to do that heat shield thing today, couldnt get it chrome shiny like that, mine just looks like brushd aluminum ahha, still looks better though.

Did you use a griding wheel or drill bit? You have to put some pressure on it. You buff off quite a bit. Just keep going.....and use buffing compound.

im not really sure what a grinding wheel is, i used a dremel for polish and 2000 grit sand paper to get off the brown

raku said:
im not really sure what a grinding wheel is, i used a dremel for polish and 2000 grit sand paper to get off the brown

OH.......you need much more than that. Do not scratch it with sandpaper. A grinding wheel is like a motor with axels on each end. I call it this.....but I think it is called a bench grinder. See attached picture for a bench grinder with buffing wheels on them. Get dense buffing wheels. This is all you need. It does not sand or scratch it. You can get buffing compound in like a bar that looks like a large bar of soap. After you buff the heatsheild, press compond on the wheel and buff again. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 00921181000-dlv.jpg
    00921181000-dlv.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 121
Buffing wheels and compound kit as found in Sears. (Craftsman). This is all you need if you have a bench grinder.

Attachments

• 00929807000-dlv.jpg
    00929807000-dlv.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 104
CasopoliS said:
Damn. Like those numbers. How is the drive? Shifting solid?
I have heard SC's kill gas mileage. Is there a way to disable the SC? Just curious.....I never looked into these much. Good luck with it man.
Most newer sc's have a clutch to disengage them while cruising to increase mileage. People have also been putting on a set of LS6 heads and cam and seeing about a 70whp increase for around $2k. I'm more worried about making it through winter alive (confused)

Back