Yet another review

satwar

Not as flattering as others I've read:

HTML:
http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/2007-mazda-cx-9.htm

The car loses most of it's rating in the "Value" section, indicated by the loaded GT having less than average value. Seems to be mainly influenced by lack of highway passing punch and pricier than expected for a fully loaded GT. The vehicle has not developed the reputation and resale value to justify the ambitious pricing by the manufacturer.

In Canada the CX-9 is the same price as a Murano, which is a POS compared to the CX-9 and is $10k less than the MDX which it is equal to IMO. No pricing problems here. And there is certainly no lack of passing power, sounds like somebody doesn't like Mazda.

And for the record comsumer reports rates MAZDA as the most consistently reliable brand, not Honda, Acura, Toyota, and certainly not Saturn. So I'm not sure who this more established competition is?

Saturn view handles better than Mazdaspeed Protege ROTFLMFAO!!!!

Can't get that out of my head from that other thread. ROTF!!!!

Mazda3 said:
In Canada the CX-9 is the same price as a Murano, which is a POS compared to the CX-9 and is $10k less than the MDX which it is equal to IMO.

I don't think even Mazda would say they are trying to compete with a luxury SUV like the MDX, but the CX-9 certainly seems to be offering the taste of what interior luxury is like without the luxury SUV price tag.

I've always thought the Murano is overpriced in Canada (paying for fancy sheet metal), and it certainly is high compared to the US price. Between value & CV Transmission (if it breaks you just throw the car away) it was permanently off my short list.

The real competition for me will be with the Pilot. I believe fully loaded Pilot & CX-9 have similar MRSP. The Pilot gets great reviews for handling, power, ride quality, interior space. The styling however is somewhat trucky & bland to me, which is why the CX-9 first caught my eye. What will hold my attention is if the CX-9 gets the functionality and reliability correct (reliability & high resale value are almost a sure thing with the Pilot). There's no reason to think reliability will be a problem with the CX-9, but it is a relative unknown. The styling of the CX-9 has certainly cut down on head room & seating space somewhat compared to the Pilot. The CX-9 ride seems to be routinely rated firmer than the Pilot. Reviews mentioning lack of highway passing punch for the CX-9 are not encouraging and need to be verified by a test drive. Towing capacity is somewhat limited compared to a Pilot, although not critical for the loads I carry. Ground clearance is comparable to the Pilot's, which is what I need in Northern Ontario.

All in all the CX-9 seems to be quite competitive with the Pilot for my purposes, with some compromises in functionality to styling. Hopefully a few test drives will address most issues, as to their relative importance for me, with long term reliability and durability being the only somewhat unknown in the CX-9 equation.

I honestly don't think the Pilot is in the same league as the CX-9. The 9 outclasses it in every department. The 9 is VERY comparable to the MDX, especially given the $10k price difference.

Back