Yes there will be fix with the Resuming Playback Issue on the CX5 Rdio

There are contradicting messages all over the place. Wish they would just give a solid answer instead of this "it's normal operation" BS

Most messages you would send to Mazda through public contacts end up at some generic PR drone. There is no chance that you are actually talking to somebody in the know, so they will absolutely be off message.

That probably does go right down to the dealer as well. How is your average service adviser supposed to know about the intricacies of the head unit firmware development process? Most of their job involves selling $60 oil changes.

Hi guys,

I just returned from my local Mazda dealership here in Canada (I was bringing a coworker there to pickup their Mazda 3 that was in for service). I spoke to the service manager and asked about the USB update. He told me the Infotainment Update is ready to roll (according to him it included over 30 updates all rolled into one consisting of a software update via the USB port). I have my CX-5 booked in for next Saturday May 3rd. Hopefully this puts this issue to rest once and for all. I will report back after the update is done but I wanted to get the word out for everyone here on the forum. I urge anyone to contact their local dealership to inquire for the same.

Hope this helps...

Bon

** Update on above posting**

So, I called another local dealership and they are unaware of any update. They asked for my VIN#, which I provided to them, and they said there was no update available for my CX-5. I then called back to the initial dealership who have me scheduled in for next Saturday....and asked them to clarify. They told me that even though their computer system does not show any update for my specifac VIN#, that the update would still be applicable (in other words, their computer system may not be correct). They did assure me that there is an Infotainment Update available though.

To be honest, I'm very confused by the mixed mesages I am getting here with Mazda. I will bring my vehicle in next Saturday for this supposed update and I will report back here afterwards.

Seems to me that Mazda needs to get their s*** together.

Bon

This is kind've interesting. What we'd heard earlier was it would require a replacement of the BT hardware. Much better if it could be done with a firmware load via the USB though.

So, I called another local dealership and they are unaware of any update. They asked for my VIN#, which I provided to them, and they said there was no update available for my CX-5. I then called back to the initial dealership who have me scheduled in for next Saturday....and asked them to clarify. They told me that even though their computer system does not show any update for my specifac VIN#, that the update would still be applicable (in other words, their computer system may not be correct). They did assure me that there is an Infotainment Update available though.

To be honest, I'm very confused by the mixed mesages I am getting here with Mazda. I will bring my vehicle in next Saturday for this supposed update and I will report back here afterwards.

Bon

Wow. What a mess. It seems like if your dealer is right, they just need to update their computers to show the update available for the correct VINs.

I'll be curious to see what you say after next Saturday......

I am in the UK and picked up our latest model CX5 on March 15th. Its the latest model we have here with memory seat and electronic passenger seat, red stitching on steering wheel etc etc and also we have an infotainment system that resumes playback every single time on USB and BT. It works perfectly!!! Using iphone 5s and 4s by the way.

It sounds like an update is in the wild (and on the assembly line), but news and procedure is still trickling down to the service department level.

Bon

you should ask the dealer if there's a tsb or other kind of reference number they have for it

I spoke to my brother about this issue as he is one of the dealer trainers for Mazda on the 3, 6 & CX-5 models. He said they have been aware of the infotainment weaknesses for quite some time, that is why the new 3 has a completely different system. As to a fix, he said he has not heard of anything from the Irvine CA headquarters he reports to. But he did confirm they have told him they have been working on a potential fix.

Does the bluetooth module replacement fixes the problem or not?
I saw the "Bulletin No: 09-003/14" posted by another user nXt couple pages back.
My CX-5 vin falls into the category, so I'm thinking of calling up the dealer and ask them about this.
My music from USB drive always start from the first song and it's getting annoying.

edit: I called them today, they said they first have to take a look at it. They will do a software update, but not replace the unit right away. Since I have to drive 30 miles to the dealer, I wanted the hardware and software done at the same time, but they won't do it.

Last edited:
Sorry to report that my 2015 GT does NOT correct the USB problems. I finally made a USB stick, and put it in last night. It took a long while to index (9GB of music), but afterwards it allowed me to select a playlist, and started playing. I jumped to the third song in the playlist, then turned off the car for the night.

This morning, it re-indexed the USB stick again, and started playing the first song on the stick, not the playlist.

BT works great with my phone, but then again, that's the phone playing the music, not the CX-5 headunit.

Build date is 2/14.

Update. Was in the dealership today for my taillight and asked about radio update. There is nothing. Called mazda and they said they are aware of the issue and are still working on it. How long does it take? I don't think it should be taking this long.

Bon
Hi Bon
Any updates after your service today?

So, I brought my car into the local dealership today for this "infotainment" update I was told about. The guy behind the service desk (different guy from the assn't mgr who booked me in from last week)....he runs my VIN through the system and tells me he doesn't see any updates needed for my vehicle (mfg date Dec 2013). I told him that I was told to bring my CX-5 in anyways so they could check with their computer. I then asked him about the USB issue to which he was unaware of any issues. I told him I found that a bit strange....because it is a VERY big issue online in the various Mazda forums...and I also explained there is a petition going around. He still insisted he was not aware. Anyways, long story short, they ran a diagnostic on my vehicle and it was deemed to not require any updates (the infotainment update was mainly for Bluetooth and Tom Tom....for which my vehicle was already up to date as it is a 2014.5). So, I told them to do an oil change (1st one...only has 2700 kms on it but I figured while I was there they may as well do it). So...unfortunately, no USB fix as of yet.

I did speak (again) with Mazda Canada yesterday and asked (again) about the USB fix...and was told they are aware of the issue...and they hope to have a fix out soon (blah blah blah). Was also told that Mazda may simply deem the USB issue to be a normal function (to which I laughed at the customer service lady and told her no, it was not normal).

To be honest, I'm not holding my breathe here. If this issue isn't fixed by the end of this year, I fully intend to rip out the entire stereo system and go aftermarket (head unit, speakers, amp, the works).

Not impressed with how Mazda is handling this specific issue. Love the vehicle overall, but not impressed with this issue one bit.

Bon

Update. Was in the dealership today for my taillight and asked about radio update. There is nothing. Called mazda and they said they are aware of the issue and are still working on it. How long does it take? I don't think it should be taking this long.

How long? Until people get rid of their cx5's!
Look, most people keep a car for 4-5 years, then
sell/. Seeing how some have had their '14 for at least one
year, Mazda is 20-25% there, with their stone walling.
It is like asking a deadbeat for $100 he owes you and each
week he says he doesn't have it, come back next week.
It won't get fixed , accept it. If it could easily be fixed, it would
have been done by now, certainly for the '15's. They will have a new
HU for '16 and this issue will only be further back in rear view
mirror.
Think about it- this defect is not a safety or mechanical defect,
not one magazine review has mentioned it and Mazda already
has your money- there is no reason for them to fix it. So, enjoy the lip
service. Call them a year from now and you'll get the same line.
Fwiw, I have a '15. Again, if this was fixable, do you really think the '15's
would ship with the same USB problem?

How long? Until people get rid of their cx5's!
Look, most people keep a car for 4-5 years, then
sell/. Seeing how some have had their '14 for at least one
year, Mazda is 20-25% there, with their stone walling.
It is like asking a deadbeat for $100 he owes you and each
week he says he doesn't have it, come back next week.
It won't get fixed , accept it. If it could easily be fixed, it would
have been done by now, certainly for the '15's. They will have a new
HU for '16 and this issue will only be further back in rear view
mirror.
Think about it- this defect is not a safety or mechanical defect,
not one magazine review has mentioned it and Mazda already
has your money- there is no reason for them to fix it. So, enjoy the lip
service. Call them a year from now and you'll get the same line.
Fwiw, I have a '15. Again, if this was fixable, do you really think the '15's
would ship with the same USB problem?
Yep.

I do really hope though that the issue has hit Mazda in the pocketbook in some way. I know for a fact the issue has caused Mazda at least two sales. I was looking into a Mazda 6 for a second vehicle and ended up getting a Honda Accord pretty much based on the issue alone. My parents were also looking into a CX-5 and ended up getting a Subaru Forrester after I showed them the USB issue in my CX-9.

Had I known about the issue, I would not have bought the CX-9. I do like the vehicle, but there were plenty of others in it's class that I was looking at that I liked just about as much.

The sad part is before I bought the car I had brought a USB stick with me to the dealer just to check it out. I never even thought to check if it resumed playback from the same place. My 8 year old head unit USB in my previous car even resumed properly after turning the car off.

I called Mazda USA again today (even though I'm in Canada....I think Mazda USA has more power than Mazda Canada). After giving the girl my VIN, she refused to comment on anything and told me to call Mazda Canada. She was in the Recall Dept, and I asked her if she was aware of the USB problem and she said no, and again told me to call Mazda Canada. Mazda Canada is aware of the problem, said they are working on it, blah blah blah....no time frame. If the '15's are coming off the boat with the same issue....I don't see this problem being addressed anytime soon. Time to start thinking about ripping the entire stereo system out and going after market.

It's a shame, because the CX-5 really is a nice vehicle. Too bad Mazda is ignoring such a blatant design flaw for which most people only find out about after they purchase.

Bon

It really is a shame and I am reaching out to some of the magazine reporters that I have access to, however like katman is saying, they have our money, they keep advertising, it is a very good driving vehicle and I did pay 700 bucks extra to get GPS and so this is the third time this s*** has happened to me and I am not learning anything. I as the customer am feeling stupid, duped and will likely go to another brand that I once again to not do enough research on etc. etc. I haven ow learned that none of the manufacturers can be trusted, sure they tell me they are working on fixing it, in the meantime we are seeing the 2015 models appearing and soon we will see the 2016 models with a new unit and voila, jokes on me....

Back