YES or NO - 16 inch steel rims

Phratt

Hello,

I need a quick answer.

YES or NO

a) Will 16 inch steel rims fit on a CX-5 (whatever trim)
b) Have your tried it personally?

I know the subject has been discussed, but there does not seem to have anyone who did try it.

If someone HAS tried it, would it be possible to give me the minimum clearance between the caliper and the rim? (the real physical measurements please)

Thank you so very much everyone for your help. This might make a 300+$ difference.

Phratt

If anyone who owns a CX5 in the Quebec City region wanna try my old black steelies I had on a 2010 Mazda3, just let me know! Wheel specs should be the same though..

According to my service department guys, the wheel specs for the CX-5 are mutually exclusive. I wished that this was not so, but it is. (mad)

I GIVE UP !!!

Called 5 different dealers - asked if 16 inch Mazda5 steel rims would fit the CX-5.

2 said NO
2 said YES
1 Said call someone else - we do not know + it is not recommended by Mazda.

Has anyone tried it?

At Brossard Mazda they gave me the option for 16in hub centric wheels (70$ each vs 85$ for the 17s)

Haven't bought them yet. I'm still shopping around for a good package price. I've got buy new winter tires for 2 cars...

I have contacted tirerack.com and they confirmed me the steel wheel with fit the CX-5 just like the O.E. This is what I am going to buy!

I bought 16" rims and tires....tried one on the front wheel....fit no problem but not a lot of clearance (not that it matters).

I bought 16" rims and tires....tried one on the front wheel....fit no problem but not a lot of clearance (not that it matters).

Can I ask which 16" rims you used, I am thinking of secondhand mazda 3 or lexus for some winter tyres

I bought aftermarket steel hubcentric rims. These rims will fit all mazda and most Hyundai vehicles. Any recent mazda rim will fit...bolt pattern 5 x114.3 and I think it is 67 for the center hole diameter.

i bought 16'' rims for winter and it fit on the cx5 without anyproblem. Just be sure to check the center bore which is 67.1 mm and everything suppose to be ok

I can't stand black steelies never used them I always get a decent looking set of alloys for winter. Winter here is too long to have the vehicle look like arse for 5 months of the year---just my opinion. I just picked up a set of nice looking 17" with pirelli winters for 1300$ shipped to my door from 1010 tires.

I dont mind the steelies look. They are a utilitarian item and make my cx5 look beefy for winter.

Hello,

I need a quick answer.

YES or NO

a) Will 16 inch steel rims fit on a CX-5 (whatever trim)
b) Have your tried it personally?

I know the subject has been discussed, but there does not seem to have anyone who did try it.

If someone HAS tried it, would it be possible to give me the minimum clearance between the caliper and the rim? (the real physical measurements please)

Thank you so very much everyone for your help. This might make a 300+$ difference.

Phratt

Yes it will work! but you have to get the right tires tho.
and No, I haven't try it, cuz I got something else.

I have the GT and the oem tire on that one is 19 inch 225/55/19, and because I am in Canada so I have a second set of the tire for winter. They are 225/65/17. Yes I downsize my wheels. Just make sure the wheel's bolt pattern is 5 x 114.3mm. As for the Tires make sure the circumference and diameter are close to your original tires as much as possible by adjusting the middle number(55). GL

Hello everyone,

Thank you all for your answers.

I have had installed 225/70-16 tires on Mazda5 16 inch steelies.

The space between the front wheel calipers and the rim is tight - a small rock (1/8 th inch) can get stuck in between. If this does happen, with your results + my searches - I will buy 16 inch steelies from Costco (29.99$/each). They have more free space with the calipers, they fit good and the offset is OK.

Once again, thank you - I consider my problem solved - until a rock gets stuck... (boom02)

Phratt

I got the CX-5 from Mazda Chambly and they were the one's that suggested going witht he 16 inch on steelies for the winter.
checked at costco and the guy seemed lost about the steelies and suggested getting them direct at the dealership.

Hi,

and the guy seemed lost about the steelies and suggested getting them direct at the dealership
That is because their charts say 17 inches. Their charts do not even give the pressure to which the bolts will be torked
(90 pounds from source: Mazda dealer).

At Costco Anjou, the mechanic put the 16 inch steelies on my CX-5 / bolted it on before looking for clearance.

The rims are black and made of steel and 16 inches. These rims are all that they sell (29.99 I think).

Hoping this will help,
Phratt

Last edited:
Back