Yes! Bose will play MP3 cd's

Sorry to reopen this thread. I've read a lot about this topic and this make so many poeple confuse to know if the bose System do play the MP3 cds.

And the answer is yes. There is no mistery there. If you record your mp3 cds like any one with iTunes version 7 you'll be able to play those mp3 cds in your bose system even if mazda says It may not compatible. Sorry but It just works.

Note: I've also noticed that you'll not be able to have so much songs on thoses cds like the one we usualy use to record others mp3(I mean with this following: I have some MP3 cds(700 MB capacity) with more than 110 songs on it. So when i record the new iTunes 7 I'm able to fit on a 700 MB CD only 30 to 50 songs. This may be due to the encoding used).

Sorry for my english. I hope you can understand what I'm triying to say here.

Sorry to reopen this thread. I've read a lot about this topic and this make so many poeple confuse to know if the bose System do play the MP3 cds.

And the answer is yes. There is no mistery there. If you record your mp3 cds like any one with iTunes version 7 you'll be able to play those mp3 cds in your bose system even if mazda says It may not compatible. Sorry but It just works.

Note: I've also noticed that you'll not be able to have so much songs on thoses cds like the one we usualy use to record others mp3(I mean with this following: I have some MP3 cds(700 MB capacity) with more than 110 songs on it. So when i record the new iTunes 7 I'm able to fit on a 700 MB CD only 30 to 50 songs. This may be due to the encoding used).

Sorry for my english. I hope you can understand what I'm triying to say here.

Does yours say MP3 on the head unit?

Does yours say MP3 on the head unit?

Hi joevac10,

No my Bose System doesn't says that It can play mp3 (In one word: I have no MP3 Label on the head unit of my Bose System).

As I said It's just working know with MP3 cd's burned with iTunes version 7.
NB: My Bose System can't play other standarts MP3 CDs(I mean with this other MP3 cd's burned with nero version < 8[Don't remeber which ISO type those programm are using]).

@CX7_Scott:

I think any Bose system with no "MP3 label" can play the MP3 cds burned with iTunes 7(or what ever). But I can not confirm this for other Bose System with the "MP3 Label".

So Guys just try it: Get the iTunes version it's for free. Install it and burn you CDs and enjoy it.

By the way let us know if It doesn't work for you.

Regards

bertrand_CX_7

If you are only fitting 20 or 30 songs on the CD it sounds like you are making a standard audio CD. Of course this will work in ALL CD players. The benefit to having MP3 capability is that you can fit 150-200 songs per CD.

I want to say that Itunes doesn't burn in .mp3 format...its something like .mp4 or .lp4 or something weird like that. I'll have to double check when I get home.

You are not playing .mp3's.

I tunes, nero, windows media player, all take your .mp3's, convert them to .wav, then compile the cd in "red book" audio cd standard. As someone mentioned, doing this you get 74 minutes of songs or 18.5 songs at 4:00 minues each.

Again, all the major .mp3 programs do this conversion.

To listen to true .mp3, you would just burn a data disk with the folder structure intact.

If your songs are ripped at 192, you would get like 109 songs per cd.

For the last time... ;)

iTunes WILL burn a true .MP3 (data) CD-R if you tell it to. This is not that new to iTunes. And yes, if you do NOT set it up to do so, it will convert to a standard Audio CD format.

DATA is DATA. It can only hold its 800MB (or so) of data.
.AIF files are large and you generally get just over an hour's-worth of music.
.MP3 files are small and you can get multiple hours worth of music onto a CD-R.

NOT ALL CD Players can play .MP3 (data) CDs. The unit must EXPLICITLY be capable of decoding .MP3 files. A standard, run-of-the-mill CD Player WILL NOT PLAY .MP3 data CDs. Period.

You can't "trick" them into it. If a player is not capable of .MP3 playback, no software on the planet is going to burn you a CD-R of .MP3s that will play on it. As others have stated, it MAY be (and you can tell by the number of songs or run-time of the CD) that the software is upsampling and converting the song files to standard .AIF files for Audio CD output which ANY CD player will play.

I ripped an MP3 CD in iTunes and I get no sound from my BOSE head unit. It acts like it is playing and the clock runs, but no sound comes out.

Mazda quite possibly gave CX-7 customers the most out-of-date and rigid head unit in the history of car audio. Can't play MP3's. No AUX jack. Crappy iPod adapter accessory. I'm surprised it plays CDs.

Last edited:
I've got an aftermarket deck that plays mp3's in one of my vehicles and the same mp3 disk wouln't play in the murano which is the same system as the cx7 minus a couple speakers. I haven't tried the disk in the cx7 yet. I guess I just assumed it wouldn't work. I'll try it as soon as I get home

i have an 07 cx-7 gt.. 6cd bose changer WILL NOT PLAY MP3's :(

tried many different burners, many different speeds.. no cigar

i have an 07 cx-7 gt.. 6cd bose changer WILL NOT PLAY MP3's :(

tried many different burners, many different speeds.. no cigar

You didn't say if you have the tech package? In my 7, with tech (Navigation), my unit DOES play MP3 disks, recorded with either iTunes or Real Player or Roxio. Heck, I've even recorded MP3 using the generic capabilities of Windows Explorer on an WIN XP machine and those disks play on my system, too. (cabpatch)

Vince.

^ I think the OPs "Mp3" capable sticker just fell off of his unit before he bought the vehicle. I've seen a few like that... especially in hot climates.

I have the Grand Touring no Navi.. 6 cd Bose Changer.. No MP3 capabilities..

I complained to the dealer and he said he would charge me $300 to install the ipod jack :/

My Original Bose 6cd Unit in my Mazda 20H Axela didnt support MP3's nor did it support Driver infomation system, but i brought a radio off the net from the US that did and then brought an old radio out of a car that was on ebay and

bata bing bata boom, it work my all the fuel infomation and the mp3 and every thing works, i just had to connect the LCD for the new one directly to my harness (2 wires for the data for the Display 3 for the +ve, -ve, and acc

if anyone wants this instructions and a guide i still have all the info that i used to do it it took me about 6months to reserch it and figure out if my car supported it although when i first got the radio working the presets used in the US for the radio are in a different frequancy they are 0.1MHZ out :(

i nearly cried as i had to then find a 0.1MHZ band expander also the DIS system just had blank bars....

But when i started the car it started working YAY, which i then realised that maybe the car need to be running to know how much fuel its using LOL

Back