Wrecked 86,000m 2006 Mazda5 Question

Hello, I rear ended a Subaru going 5 mph or less damaging my right front corner of car. I was going to repair myself, but after closer inspection I found the frame had been damaged. We really liked our 5, but gave up on repairing it and explored scrapping it, only to be offered $300 for her. To finally cut to the chase, I guess I’m looking for any creative guidance from anybody that might have an idea I’ve missed. I’m in Portland Or btw. Thx.
80350ADD-1BF2-48E5-A601-7BACA0B28C96.jpeg

Do you have collision insurance? If so, what do they say it totals out at?

You could try and sell it on Craigslist for parts. Someone might bite but I would guess it won't be over $1k.

When you say "frame had been damaged"...where? Behind the front wheel or just up front in the engine bay area?

You try can rolling it into some cheap junkyard "mechanic" and see what he says. Some guys will hammer stuff together enough to make it road worthy, although it probably will never be right.

It was tweaked enough that when you look at the top of shock towers, their heights are pretty different. I appreciate your input. I’m probably just going to part it out.

yea take it to a frame guy first...
they can see how bad the front is messed up.

looks like 50 to 70 mph damage..
what was the total difference in speed?

If we're guessing, I guess he hit at 15-20mph. A corner hit like that does do big damage at lower speeds.

Nowhere close to 50-70 mph damage. At 35-50 most of the engine compartment would be collapsed. Regarding difference in speed..... he was going about 5 mph, so if he rear ended them they were probably stopped. Are you thinking about a head on collision and adding the two speeds? If so that isn’t how physics of collisions works.

You’ll never believe me when I tell you it was 5 mph or less. Car in front of me was turning right, but waiting for pedestrians to cross, I come to full stop. They start to turn with definite intent, I don’t see other pedestrians, apparently they didn’t either till last second, I look down to change station, they hit the brakes, bang, and only in a matter of feet. My bumper rode up over theirs in a perfect angle to do that. They had just some scratch’s on bumper. Still, thinking about if it’s worth it to get frame done. It’s still mostly a nice car. I’m usually pretty decisive but I’m all over the place on this. Cannbalize wheels, seats, etc for vanagon, straighten frame and convert to electric, part it all out, fix as is, all swirling around. I’m lame.

Damn, theirs so smart effin people on this site. I would never in a million years thought that a car could be damaged like this at that kind of speed. Other car was a newer Subaru Legacy btw.
OT, that engine would fit as nicely as my 2.0 zeetec in a vanagon.

This is what ~30mph crash did to my 2010 Mazda 5 a month before the lockdown.
IMG_20200216_115926699.jpg

I was told by the cleanup crew the thing visible on the ground in front of the front passenger wheel was the starter and the engine has a big crack from the impact. The crumble zone and the damages absorbed most of the energy from the impact but the whole powertrain and the frame were toast. The insurance company determined it was a total loss.

It was from hitting a minivan's rear when its driver from the opposite direction made a sudden left turn right in front of me (he was probably distracted and was not aware of my car). A wrong split second decision forced me to replace my Mazda 5.

I’ve seen some pretty severe wrecks in my time. The older cars tended to hold a lot more injured and deceased people. Newest ones /much/ less so.
Once had a Chevy citation II slide off the road and hit two trees (like the front left corner went between them so they impacted front center and front left fender). Stereo was on the right side of the car, steering wheel was in the middle, and the firewal was pushed back and in enough that it basically made a straight line from the front edge of seat to the dashboard. That’s what a “strong” car gets you. Also once saw a headon with a cement truck and a peterbilt (long nose) tractor trailer. Cement truck was in about 10,000 pieces all over the place, driver was fine. Peterbilt has a couple of scratches and dents in it, and the driver dead in his seatbelt.
Energy absorption matters.

This is what ~30mph crash did to my 2010 Mazda 5 a month before the lockdown.
View attachment 225128
I was told by the cleanup crew the thing visible on the ground in front of the front passenger wheel was the starter and the engine has a big crack from the impact. The crumble zone and the damages absorbed most of the energy from the impact but the whole powertrain and the frame were toast. The insurance company determined it was a total loss.

It was from hitting a minivan's rear when its driver from the opposite direction made a sudden left turn right in front of me (he was probably distracted and was not aware of my car). A wrong split second decision forced me to replace my Mazda 5.
Sorry that happened to you, she’s a good looking 5.

Damn, theirs so smart effin people on this site. I would never in a million years thought that a car could be damaged like this at that kind of speed. Other car was a newer Subaru Legacy btw.
OT, that engine would fit as nicely as my 2.0 zeetec in a vanagon.
i would to have never guessed it was that slow.
sure messed it up good...
last deer i hit in the pontiac 6000 did not have that much damage..
it was at 60 mph... 2800.00 in damage only as the front headlight plastic parts were super pricy..
the steel was all pretty good.

yours looked like a can opener got it.
makes me want a larger older chevy suv.

i would to have never guessed it was that slow.
sure messed it up good...
last deer i hit in the pontiac 6000 did not have that much damage..
it was at 60 mph... 2800.00 in damage only as the front headlight plastic parts were super pricy..
the steel was all pretty good.

yours looked like a can opener got it.
makes me want a larger older chevy suv.
Or a Volvo like this.
6EDAE22C-30D7-4AB9-912F-0932E0D61761.jpeg

Back