wrap the stock manifold?

jeffmsp

Contributor
:
2003 MazdaSpeed Protege
hey guys, as the title states i am wondering if it would be worth wrapping the stock callaway mani with headerwrap as well as using the stock heatshield.

another question thats not really related but doesnt call for its own thread.

I have a small exhaust leak between my 2.5" Jpipe and the last piece of the stock S pipe. we used a different flange when making it because well, the car was apart and there was no way i could get a proper on made or shipped in time. after about 5months i got the leak and after the motor is warmed up the leak goes away. do you guys know if a liquid gasket or a gasket I cut to size will fix it ok, or should i just spring to get a proper gasket and flange? god is sucks to be broke lol 94 octane at the pump adds up overtime.(WELL 55K anyways)

thanks for the input TTYL, jeff

any particular reason? my guess would be because its cast and not SS but i dunno 4 sure and im going to be going to a shop tommorow anyways so if its worth it i might as well wrap her up while im in there fixing that damn leak.

I dont think it would help much. There's already a direct metal-to-metal connection between the two sides of our turbo, so the heat is gong to go through that medium anyway. If it's cheap, might as well try it though.

i would but he usually doesnt answer my pms. but from what i know of him, he wouldnt have it on there if it didnt work, so maybe i should try it out :)

Yea, i got header wrap, and was bout to put it on, but when doing it I realized it was gonna take a lot of time. First off, does anyone know how to take off the 02 sensor, the headshield is blocking it and I cant take off the heatshield without first taking off the o2 sensor.

They make O2 sensor sockets that fit in the hole nicely. Or you can cut the end of the heatshield off so that it slips over the O2 sensor.

I did this is for one simple reason. Keep as much heat off of the intercooler pipes as possible. I can literally put my hand on the intercooler pipe and the exhaust manifold after a run. Keeping heat inside the manifold will keep exhaust velocity up and (in theory) spool the turbo faster.

I was thinking of doing this also. do you have to take the manifold off, or can you do it with the manifold on the car?

BlkZoomZoom said:
They make O2 sensor sockets that fit in the hole nicely. Or you can cut the end of the heatshield off so that it slips over the O2 sensor.

I did this is for one simple reason. Keep as much heat off of the intercooler pipes as possible. I can literally put my hand on the intercooler pipe and the exhaust manifold after a run. Keeping heat inside the manifold will keep exhaust velocity up and (in theory) spool the turbo faster.
What do you mean cut the end of the heatshield off? Im not picturing what your saying.

anarchistchiken said:
You have 215 whp and you can't take off your heatshield? Ummmm...
What does that have to do with my power?? Anywayz u kinda got me cuz at the moment I dont cuz I got a ticket for all my mods but pretty soon ill be back up there prollly with a little higher numbers.

he means cut the heatsheild where the o2 sensor is......from the o2 sensor down so you don't have to take the o2 sensor off....

just get a O2 socket,and remove it.

BTW,It really bugs me to see someone mod a car,and still know nothing about the car,or how to work on it.

wicked said:
just get a O2 socket,and remove it.

BTW,It really bugs me to see someone mod a car,and still know nothing about the car,or how to work on it.
I'm sorry your highness, I didn't know that I upset you. Ill go right now and work on the car and then read up on it. Just because I didn't understand one of the comments doesn't mean I know nothing about cars.

Last edited:
I would not. Back in the days of the 2.3 turbo we used to wrap them up to keep the heat down. Within very short time the bolts on the turbo would back off and then a little later the exhaust manifold would crack. The MSP does not get anywhere as high on the exhaust as the 2.3 but you still have heat.

Back