Won't Accelerate

AVC

:
'17 CX-5 Select
Indeed they are easy to replace, and there are numerous aftermarket sources, but it seems most use the same Xinese "new" or "refurbs", which often have visible molding defects and I imagine not great QA on the plate film sensor and other bits. I tried one aftermarket sensor and it was worse than the dodgy OEM. The cheapest OEM I found was around $140. Really, what I wanted to do was switch the "loaner" car MAF with my CX-5 for an hour and evaluate. Of course I didn't have both vehicles simulatenously away from the dealer.

erhayes

Contributor
:
Mazda CX-5 FWD Touring
I would first start by removing the neg battery cable for 15 minutes or so. This will put the computers back into the factory default settings. That may solve your issue. Ed

:
2014 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech
Really, what I wanted to do was switch the "loaner" car MAF with my CX-5 for an hour and evaluate. Of course I didn't have both vehicles simulatenously away from the dealer.
Maybe you could meet up with someone on here and do the one hour swap, perhaps for a six-pack as payment! I think it's already been noted that someone on here goes to the same dealership as you do. Just a thought.

:
2018 CX5
Since new, I've always switched to Sport in our 2018 CX5 if I wanted reliable quick acceleration. Otherwise it would not be quick enough for fast entry onto the highway and would seem to hesitate for 1 second when the accelerator was pushed.

But could the OPs issues be from carbon build up?

could the OPs issues be from carbon build up?
I originally thought it sounded like a TPS issue, but after AVC described his similar issue and findings it appears to be a MAF issue.

I don’t think it could be a carbon issue at the MAF, because there aren’t any vacuum lines that far out on the intake inlet tube.

AVC

:
'17 CX-5 Select
As I had an "extra" MAF, I went about modifying it; enlarged the sensor intake port with a Dremel (chipmunk with dull teeth), by tapering the 4 edges back into a slight funnel shape. No beauty content but just to test a scenario. While it didn't change the idle MAF output noticeably, it does appear to make the initial rising output curve a bit more aggressive (see below). Probably messes with other parts of the curve in undesirable ways, but this wasn't intended as a final solution.

It made a significant improvement in the off-idle stumbling, "u-turn" performance and eliminated the low-speed high load surging.
1601300528989.png

1601406057558.png

Last edited: