Wiper blade replacement

kimchei6

:
2013 cx-5 gt w/tech pkg
I just replaced my wiper blades and noticed that the original part that came with the car seems like a significant piece to throw out. its made out of metal cover with rubber blade underneath it and I can't believe that I have to just throw it out. I was looking for a replacement OEM wipers and it was around 40 bux.... does anyone know if I should keep this piece or just throw it out... I'm a little dumb founded... oh by the way I replaced it with Rain-X latitude....

If you want to keep the fancy part of the blade then just replace the rubber insert, it is far cheaper than buying a complete blade assembly and the only part that needs replaced.

The rubber part separates from the fancy shaped housing and only costs around $6

Last edited:
well compared to the rain x wipers the OEM part just seemed more significant piece... guess i'll just throw it out then...

I would not...usually cheaper, even if you pay full retail at the parts counter

well compared to the rain x wipers the OEM part just seemed more significant piece... guess i'll just throw it out then...

to just buy the inserts. I have found that RainX wiper blades are not as good as OEM on the other cars I have owned (Honda and Acura) have not had a chance to change CX-5 blades since the car is about two weeks old. Inserts are the way to go. Usually the OEM part is better designed, and usually more aerodynamic than generic wiper blades.

Was BOGO free at one point. I think last coupon was $2 off.
They're ok for the price. The rubber makes a squeaky noise when wiping.

Mine don't squeak and we've had 4 solid days of rain.

$14 a pair is still way better than the prices that Auto Zone/Pep Boys are charging for 1 generic blade.

Host of different varieties at RockAuto.com (look under the 2013 MY), most $2-$5. You have to pay shipping, so get a couple of pairs (or more) at once, which makes them much cheaper.

Would rather not start another thread on wipers, so I'm resurrecting this thread.

Does anyone have any tips on how to remove the rear wiper blade? I tried rotating the blade assembly but there wasn't much play and I was worried I would break something.

Try this.

Screen%20Shot%202014-09-02%20at%204.03.53%20PM.png

remove the blade first.. at the hinge point is a plastic cover which you pry off. remove the nut with an 8 mm ratchet. then you can remove the blade without breaking the assembly

Why would you have to remove the 8mm? Won't it just swivel up once the plastic cover is removed?

Just want to leave an update, it is very easy to change the rear wiper blade... once you take off the black plastic cap so the arm can swing all the way up, just like CHRIS_TOP_HER said, minus the having to remove the nut.

Here are some pics for future reference:

JF7Fvf3l.jpg

gwKa4k3l.jpg

Am I the only one who thought the OEM blades were horrible? I'm not sure whether I got a bad set, but they always left streaks and would occasionally chatter. The rear blade was by far the worst...It left a ton of streaks and ALWAYS would squeak, even after a few passes. I tried cleaning/wiping the rubber down but it did nothing.

I just purchased Michellin Stealth blades for the windshield. They are an "all weather" blade, which has the protective rubber over the hardware part. I pulled back the rubber and it is very similar in construction to the OEM blades. We had a lot of rain today and they operated flawlessly...no chattering and did not leave any streaking. I bought these blades at Home Depot (who knew?)

The rear blade I had to buy was a trico replacement...It doesn't squeak like the OEM blade but it does leave a few streaks.

Back