Winter is here and my CX-5 turbo is now a 2.0L!

What about one of those 'cold' air intakes?
You know, the one where you put a conical air filter in the engine bay and not block the under hood heated air from entering it.

I saw a great example in the 'what did you do to your cx5 thread.'

I'm actually working on a program at work where our customer wants to pull in underhood air due to extreme cold temps. This is for off-highway diesel engine.

It took 3 weeks before my hips started aching after I bought my '17. Nerve pain is weird like that. The effect was cumulative and continued to worsen with time. The side bolster was pinching my sciatic nerve into the side of my hip bone. Kind of just bad luck on my part really, I don't expect most people to encounter this issue. I just wasn't compatible with the seat anatomy-wise. But, complaints about these bolsters is fairly widespread on the internet from people of all body types so clearly Mazda made an oops on the design here.

I took a LONG test drive of the car with the specific goal of trying to detect body pain issues before buying, and I still got burned. It may not really be possible to know for sure with just a test drive. The experience has made me pretty leary about whatever I buy in the future.

I sat in a new Mazda 3 and they have changed their bolster design considerably in that car. The bolster is still hard, but it kind of floats and deflects out to the side instead of being rigidly attached to the center seat frame. There is still pressure on the hip, but it's not nearly as bad as the sitting on the edge of a 2" x 4" feeling the CX-5 seat gives.
I’m going looking at a Lexus today because of this seat thing. For me it is just uncomfortable and after about half an hour my butt starts to go numb - it feels like I’m sitting on something and I am! I could get the seat altered but I’ll see if the Lexus is naturally comfortable.

Something else that can be bad for your posture, etc. , is a big, bulging wallet in your back pocket.

Not from the $$$, from the asymmetrical seating.

Sorry, looks like I caused this thread to derail a bit.

Since I started it, I'll ask everyone to keep this thread on the topic power loss in 2.5T.

I have a separate thread explaining my reasons for not signing the papers and I believe there's a different one related to seat comfort.

Here's my thread: Didnt buy it

After a 500 mile road trip this weekend, I’ve found this issue can occur when temps are as high as 31*F.

Leaving VT, it was 30* and humid but not snowing or raining. After driving at 50-60mph on backroads for ~30 miles,I stopped at an intersection. When I pulled away from the stop sign, there was no boost in 1st or 2nd. Huge disappointment considering how “warm” it was.

When I got into NY, temps were in the 40s. Merged onto the highway after a quick stop a rest area and all the power was there.

There appears to be something to driving at highway speeds for an extended period Of time that will trigger this issue at any temp below freezing.

For those of you logging data, first, thank you for doing so and sharing. Can you do some logging in the scenario I described to confirm this can happen at any temp below freezing?

Last edited:
Thanks @NathanH and @Jeff F for providing the graphs and your insights on the data. It's very much appreciated.

I've got the TorquePro app and a bluetooth OBDII reader, but I have no idea how to create a log and plug the data into a spreadsheet to create a graph. Any chance you guys could point me towards a resource that I could learn from?

I haven't played with logging in Torque Pro, but I think if you go into settings from the main screen, you can specify what and how to log.

6th line down
Screenshot_20200218-113209_Torque.jpg

After a 500 mile road trip this weekend, I’ve found this issue can occur when temps are as high as 31*F.

Leaving VT, it was 30* and humid but not snowing or raining. After driving at 50-60mph on backroads for ~30 miles,I stopped at an intersection. When I pulled away from the stop sign, there was no boost in 1st or 2nd. Huge disappointment considering how “warm” it was.

When I got into NY, temps were in the 40s. Merged onto the highway after a quick stop a rest area and all the power was there.

There appears to be something to driving at highway speeds for an extended period Of time that will trigger this issue at any temp below freezing.

For those of you logging data, first, thank you for doing so and sharing. Can you do some logging in the scenario I described to confirm this can happen at any temp below freezing?
High humidity might affect the turbo too. The Ford Ecoboost engines are kind of infamous for having instances of cutting out or stumbling after running at highway speeds in the rain. Apparently condensation in just the right place near some sensors will fool the engine into thinking it is in a bad state when it isn't and they will jump into limp mode for a few moments.

I had a Hyundai Veloster Turbo that did this once too. Driving in the rain and needed to pass, and when I got into the throttle the engine fell flat on it's face and cut out in a manner similar to how a rev limiter behaves.

As nice as turbos are for their power density and low end torque they are not lacking in downsides either.

I’m going looking at a Lexus today because of this seat thing. For me it is just uncomfortable and after about half an hour my butt starts to go numb - it feels like I’m sitting on something and I am! I could get the seat altered but I’ll see if the Lexus is naturally comfortable.

Going back to an older car is really interesting when it comes to things like this. The trend for all new cars is stiff suspensions and hard as a rock seats it seems. As soon as you jump into some old thing from the 90's the first thing that strikes you is how you sink into the seat cushion and how comfortable the ride is. I blame all these car reviewers who constantly brow beat manufacturers for things like body lean or cornering grip. Nobody drives these vehicles like this but the reviewers, but every new vehicle rides like a cement truck now for the sake of generating positive comments from those reviewers.

High humidity might affect the turbo too. The Ford Ecoboost engines are kind of infamous for having instances of cutting out or stumbling after running at highway speeds in the rain. Apparently condensation in just the right place near some sensors will fool the engine into thinking it is in a bad state when it isn't and they will jump into limp mode for a few moments.

I had a Hyundai Veloster Turbo that did this once too. Driving in the rain and needed to pass, and when I got into the throttle the engine fell flat on it's face and cut out in a manner similar to how a rev limiter behaves.

As nice as turbos are for their power density and low end torque they are not lacking in downsides either.
I was thinking humidity could have something to do with it. Hard to say. Thought it could also be due to the sustained highway speeds fully “freezing” the intercooler.

When I got back to VT it was dry and 16*F. Before going home we stopped for groceries so the car sat for about 15 minutes.I initially punched it on the way home from the store after it was only running again for a few minutes.....all the power was there.

So idk- I’ve had it happen at 31 and not happen at 16. Differences being humidity an sitting vs being at speed for a while.

I would suggest appealing to Cobb Tuning to create an Accessport for Mazda's 2.5T engine so hopefully a tuner can sort this out. For the Mazdaspeeds for instance, tuners could disable the boost/torque restriction in 1st and 2nd gears that Mazda programmed into the Gen2 cars.

So idk- I’ve had it happen at 31 and not happen at 16. Differences being humidity an sitting vs being at speed for a while.
It's so odd. Maybe sitting after being driven warmed up the components by the heat radiating off the engine, whereas driving kept everything cooled down from the cold wind blowing across everything.

Happening at 31 is sure different than what others have observed.
'
But as you said...idk.

Would be great to know Mazda's rationale before fiddling with it
That's kinda what I said.

If you're gonna take the risk, at least have some idea what that risk might be.

Jeff F thinks this might merely be a clumsy implementation of boost protection that all turbo manufacturers implement, and that it might be improved with refinement.

Look on the bright side, if Mazda wanted to then a simple fix could be done via a TSB. Meaning? Keep this thread open and keep complaining!!

Edit: Not sure if you guys know but one of us here is a secret Mazda Corp. spy. 🕵️‍♂️

Look on the bright side, if Mazda wanted to then a simple fix could be done via a TSB. Meaning? Keep this thread open and keep complaining!!

Edit: Not sure if you guys know but one of us here is a secret Mazda Corp. spy. 🕵️‍♂️
Well, they never fixed the issue in the Mazdaspeed3, and that car was meant for more than carting kids around.

Regarding who the spy 🕵️‍♂️ is, I have an idea.

Actually, I suspect someone here is VP of North American Sales.
I'm not gonna name names...

Anyone with data considering going to a dealer to ask why there is no boost when it’s cold?

They can’t just pull the “unable to reproduce” response.

Anyone with data considering going to a dealer to ask why there is no boost when it’s cold?

They can’t just pull the “unable to reproduce” response.
Unobtanium is getting his data-logged by his dealer, per this comment. He says a tech there is experience this issue in his personally-owned CX-9.

I believe he's waiting for temperatures and his availability to intersect.

Yup. I was referring to those that have data showing there is no boost. Bringing that to a dealer and asking why.
Gotcha.

There sure seems to be a lot of moving parts to this. Could be just something simple (and sensitive to a variety of conditions) driving the program making us think the inputs are more complex than they really is.

I was gonna say that I'm not optimistic we'll get Mazda's attention on this. But given that the CX-5 has become Mazda's flagship product, and that the turbo seems to be a part of the current success, maybe the edge can be taken off this for us. Maybe.

Latest posts

Back