Winter is here...and my cx5 turbo is now a 2.0!

My CX-5 was a 2017, prior to the introduction of the cylinder deactivation feature.

I arrived at my conclusions after considering all the evidence and my first hand experience. The vehicle was throwing no codes, and there were no stored codes when I checked with a reader. To me it simply feels like ignition timing retardation only on a much more severe scale. I should have recorded a video of it but I don't believe in handling a phone while driving. I could floor the car in first gear and it would take 20-25 seconds to reach the red line which is about 5 times longer than normal.

In the older thread a couple of people called me out for not taking the vehicle to the dealership and making assumptions about what the vehicle was doing. I suppose that was a fair criticism when I look at it from their point of view. I'm kind of an outlier in that most people who are complaining own the turbo, but I experienced it in the NA version. I was (and still am) just very confident that the dealership wouldn't find anything. They would check for stored codes, find none, and tell me the vehicle was fine. Maybe I could have arranged to have them keep the car and drive it when it was very cold out, but again I know where the discussion would go. They would tell me they would send Mazda their findings but couldn't do anything about it that day because there were no codes to diagnose the issue, and then I'd never hear from them again unless I nagged at which point somebody would blow smoke up my butt and say Mazda couldn't determine a problem and the the vehicle was "normal."

All of that's an assumption on my part, yes, but it's very likely how it would have gone down. So I spared myself the hassle and didn't try.

I don't really have a stake in it anymore, but I like to keep up with this discussion because it's interesting and I want to see what becomes of it.

Last edited:

sm1ke

Work In Progress..
Contributor
L
Canada
V
'18 CX-9 Signature
My CX-5 was a 2017, prior to the introduction of the cylinder deactivation feature.

I arrived at my conclusions after considering all the evidence and my first hand experience. The vehicle was throwing no codes, and there were no stored codes when I checked with a reader. To me it simply feels like ignition timing retardation only on a much more severe scale. I should have recorded a video of it but I don't believe in handling a phone while driving. I could floor the car in first gear and it would take 20-25 seconds to reach the red line which is about 5 times longer than normal.

In the older thread a couple of people called me out for not taking the vehicle to the dealership and making assumptions about what the vehicle was doing. I suppose that was a fair criticism when I look at it from their point of view. I'm kind of an outlier in that most people who are complaining own the turbo, but I experienced it in the NA version. I was (and still am) just very confident that the dealership wouldn't find anything. They would check for stored codes, find none, and tell me the vehicle was fine. Maybe I could have arranged to have them keep the car and drive it when it was very cold out, but again I know where the discussion would go. They would tell me they would send Mazda their findings but couldn't do anything about it that day because there were no codes to diagnose the issue, and then I'd never hear from them again unless I nagged at which point somebody would blow smoke up my butt and say Mazda couldn't determine a problem and the the vehicle was "normal."

All of that's an assumption on my part, yes, but it's very likely how it would have gone down. So I spared myself the hassle and didn't try.

I don't really have a stake in it anymore, but I like to keep up with this discussion because it's interesting and I want to see what becomes of it.
Ah, in that case it couldn't have been a rocker that had fallen off.

I'm sure there were some who thought you were exaggerating, and I might have been one of them. But I think everyone was just irked at the fact that you didn't even try to get it fixed. What's happening with the turbo CX-5 appears to be happening to all turbo CX-5s, while you (and I think maybe Zeroman, can't remember if he had a 2017) happened to be the only ones to experience any power loss issue in the N/A. That should be a clear cut sign to visit the dealership, especially if you're within your warranty period. You didn't even give them a chance because you were too busy painting all dealerships with the same brush. There are some good dealerships out there, and even if this one couldn't help you, there are other dealerships, as well as the option to escalate to Mazda of North America. But you couldn't even be bothered to take the first step. That, IMO, is why people railed on you.

V
CX5 GT-R

That's crazy. I had a 2015, and it ran even better in the cold. If I were you, I would try to get the dealer to data-log it when it does this. That sounds like mine when the fuel pump went out.

Ah, in that case it couldn't have been a rocker that had fallen off.

I'm sure there were some who thought you were exaggerating, and I might have been one of them. But I think everyone was just irked at the fact that you didn't even try to get it fixed. What's happening with the turbo CX-5 appears to be happening to all turbo CX-5s, while you (and I think maybe Zeroman, can't remember if he had a 2017) happened to be the only ones to experience any power loss issue in the N/A. That should be a clear cut sign to visit the dealership, especially if you're within your warranty period. You didn't even give them a chance because you were too busy painting all dealerships with the same brush. There are some good dealerships out there, and even if this one couldn't help you, there are other dealerships, as well as the option to escalate to Mazda of North America. But you couldn't even be bothered to take the first step. That, IMO, is why people railed on you.
Yeah, I acknowledge that I look narrow-minded about it when viewed from the other side of the fence. There is more to this whole thing that I didn't go into because it's off-topic mostly. My experience with the dealership was, to put it bluntly, horrible and I just didn't want to deal with them. The next closest dealership is at least 3 hours away so it's these guys or nothing. The car was delivered with damage and they didn't want to fess up to it. I had the whole thing with the seat causing me serious physical pain issues. I just felt wrung out by the whole ordeal and didn't have the energy to keep fighting with them, especially after I proved to them how they damaged the vehicle and their reaction was basically "you're annoying, go away, we already have your money" and just brushed me off.

The car had other issues too. It had begun to surge noticeably around corners due to something going on with the g-vector control, and I was one of the people who had the freezing engine mount issues with the vehicle shaking severely. That kind of dove-tails into my power loss issue, it just gets so cold here. The other members on this forum aren't getting their cars exposed to -20F like I was so I was the only person experiencing the issue at such an extreme level.

It all just..... snowballed into a bad ownership experience in the end. I'm still bothered by it. Such a great looking and driving car, but it wasn't meant to be for me.

Anyway, sorry for the long posts. I'll stick to constructive contributions from now on assuming I have any additional ones to contribute.

sm1ke

Work In Progress..
Contributor
L
Canada
V
'18 CX-9 Signature
Yeah, I acknowledge that I look narrow-minded about it when viewed from the other side of the fence. There is more to this whole thing that I didn't go into because it's off-topic mostly. My experience with the dealership was, to put it bluntly, horrible and I just didn't want to deal with them. The next closest dealership is at least 3 hours away so it's these guys or nothing. The car was delivered with damage and they didn't want to fess up to it. I had the whole thing with the seat causing me serious physical pain issues. I just felt wrung out by the whole ordeal and didn't have the energy to keep fighting with them, especially after I proved to them how they damaged the vehicle and their reaction was basically "you're annoying, go away, we already have your money" and just brushed me off.

The car had other issues too. It had begun to surge noticeably around corners due to something going on with the g-vector control, and I was one of the people who had the freezing engine mount issues with the vehicle shaking severely. That kind of dove-tails into my power loss issue, it just gets so cold here. The other members on this forum aren't getting their cars exposed to -20F like I was so I was the only person experiencing the issue at such an extreme level.

It all just..... snowballed into a bad ownership experience in the end. I'm still bothered by it. Such a great looking and driving car, but it wasn't meant to be for me.

Anyway, sorry for the long posts. I'll stick to constructive contributions from now on assuming I have any additional ones to contribute.
Sorry to hear, that does sound like an ordeal. But just for future reference, the dealership doesn't have the final say, the corporate/head office does (and sometimes you can go even further and file a claim with the BBB). If you ever run into issues with a bad dealership of any brand in the future, contact the regional office and go over the dealership's head. Best of luck in the future.