Winter Driving

nek0 said:
I know this thread is old but was searching around for winter tires/rims.

I'll be moving to New Hampshire where snow is pretty common & was wondering if it's better to get the 15" steel radial package from Tire Rack or stick with my stock 16" & get snow tires installed? I have about two months before I move & in Seattle it's just always drizzle/wet. But my stock tires need to be changed real soon.

Any recommendation? Would the 15" also reduce a lot of road noise? I honestly don't care about cornering, etc, just want to be safe & have good traction without spending $$$$$

I'm looking at a 15" steel wheel/tire combo because it'll be cheaper than getting winter tires for the stock rims.

Mazda P5 driver said:
In VA, i'd prolly get dedicated snows.

Snow tires in Virginia are overkill. We really don't get that much snow - perhaps a foot or so one average the past 8 years I've been here. I too am a Florida boy (moved from Tampa in 1998) and have done just fine on a good set of all Season Tires (Pirelli P-Zero Nero M&S.) Just pay attention to the conditions and drive cautiously.

*Edit* - Just saw Blacksburg as the location. A little more moutainous than my location, so "snows" may not be a bad idea. I still think All-Seasons will do just fine.

Last edited:
i agree that good tires are important , but experience with winter driving is more important, my first time in large amounts of snow and icy was quite scary, having to use highways for the first time covered in snow is not comforting.

I ended up getting the Hankook IceBear W300 in 205/50-16. Initially I was skeptical with the low price ($82 each) but after I started driving in heavy rain and slamming my brakes in the back roads I started to get a bit cocky. It's very sticky & wicks out water like no tomorrow. (first)

I'm going to see how it handles in snow. We're supposed to get some next week & after I move to the east coast I know the tires will give me more traction and safety. The cornering is definitely softer but of course, they are winter tires. And the tires are VERY quiet. It was like night & day. Using my headset on the freeway it was sometimes hard to listen to a conversation but now I can hear clearly. I notice it especially driving in city!

Back