Windshield Washer Fluid recommendation?

:
2019 CX-5 Touring FWD
Just leased a new 2019 CX-5 a few months ago, and already Im getting a warning notification that my windshield washer fluid is low (Ive used the fluid briefly twice on my front windshield).

Can anyone recommend a decent washer fluid to purchase? Looks like either the Prestone or the Rain-X Bug Wash fluid is mostly whats available in my area - though Ive seen reviews about those clogging the hose line or nozzle. Or is the traditional blue stuff actually better?

Whatever Mazda had in there originally has been working great the two times Ive used it. So, would I be better off simply bringing the vehicle back to the dealership for a simple fluid refill/overall fluid check? I did try searching the forum on this, but I didnt see anything specifically about this (though I may have missed it). Thank you....

Last edited:
The factory-filled windshield washer fluid may be good, but theres nothing like that as the OEM available at Mazda dealers. Youre in LA and if I were you I just use plain water. I always hate spreading those windshield washer fluid with some unknown chemicals onto paint.

Wutt he^^ said. Any of the commercial mixes are meth & water + coloring which will definitely spot the old paint as well as clog the nozzles. Distilled water FTW.

Try a bunch of different stuff and stick with whatever you end up liking the most. Washer fluid is cheap enough to determine a preference based on your own trial and error.

I just use whatever. I've never noticed any adverse affect to the paint.

My paint issues are rock chips and scratches.

I stopped using straight water many years ago when animals chewed through the rubber lines on ALL of our vehicles. In central Texas, we go through a pretty good drought period during summer...squirrels, possums, armadillos, or mice...something, must've been able to smell the clean water in the washer fluid reservoir. Luckily, lengths of the rubber tubing are cheap and readily available at any auto parts store.

Needless to say, I stopped using straight water. I'm a big fan of the fluid by Rain-X. It really repels the water well.

I've used and can recommend both Rain-X Bug Remover (green fluid) and Rain-X 2-in-1 (orange fluid) for years now and across multiple vehicles, including a couple different Mazdas and a 90's era Ford pickup. Never had any trouble from the fluid resulting in damage to paint, windshield seals or plastic trim, nor any clogging concerns. I would be surprised if any major brand wiper fluid product would cause damage, to be honest. I mostly use the Bug Remover version now, given that I live in South FL and at certain times it is essential (including "Love Bug" mating season), and of course don't really need to worry about any winter temp concerns (bug version only works to 32 degrees F, but the 2-1 formula goes down to -25). And the rain beading is highly effective.

Has anyone actually experienced actual damage from washer fluid?
Seems unlikely to me.

I read where the chemical in Rain-X brand trashed the low-water sensors in washer fluid reservoirs so that they never turn off. Apparently it leaves a build-up so that the current cannot conduct, and the sensor sees a perpetual "No Fluid" condition.

There have been lawsuits. This one was dismissed.

You can find lots of stories folks have posted on this.

Appreciate all the feedback. Ill probably go with Prestone, given some potential concerns with Rain-X. Sounds like bringing it back to Mazda for a fill-up isnt all that necessary.

I was never impressed with the performance of the Rain-X fluid. I either just use the generic blue stuff, or like Uno, have used the Prestone stuff as well.

I was never impressed with the performance of the Rain-X fluid. I either just use the generic blue stuff, or like Uno, have used the Prestone stuff as well.

I use Prestone brand or whatever is selling hot at the Truck Stop.

Whatever's cheap at Bi-Mart for me. Never had a problem, paint or otherwise.

I don't know if the washer fluid comes factory filled from Japan or if my dealer filled the tank once it got here (logic says it's likely filled here at the dealer as I know the vehicles are delivered with just enough gas to get them from the factory to the ship from the ship to the car-carrier to the dealer (ie, very little fuel)) but whatever they put in my car has lasted me 5 months now and its the best bloody washer fluid I've ever had.

Its clear, it smells very strong like vinnegar, and whatever it is is bloody amazing.. I wish I could find out what it is! LOL

I don't know if the washer fluid comes factory filled from Japan or if my dealer filled the tank once it got here (logic says it's likely filled here at the dealer as I know the vehicles are delivered with just enough gas to get them from the factory to the ship from the ship to the car-carrier to the dealer (ie, very little fuel)) but whatever they put in my car has lasted me 5 months now and its the best bloody washer fluid I've ever had.

Its clear, it smells very strong like vinnegar, and whatever it is is bloody amazing.. I wish I could find out what it is! LOL

Exactly - my experience as well, which is why I was wondering if it would be worth it to head to my dealer to have it refilled. Ive used Rain-X before - or whatever my local mechanic was using (blue stuff). However, nothing has been as good & quick-drying as the stuff that originally came with my CX-5.

81ZGV92oJuL._SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

it has a 2 Star review.
There are 2 reviewers, and both low ratings were due to description/packaging issues. The description issue is still there (one place says 32oz and the other correctly says 16oz).

$15. The amount it makes depends on how much freezing protection is required (the diluting instructions are not available.)

Last edited:
The dealer usually tops it off for me free when I did oil changes through them.

Back